1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ancestory.com

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my oldest cousins has worked on a family tree since the 70s. All paper and typewriter back then, now she has moved to Ancestory.com and keeps it updated.

Anyway, my parents had me rather late (can you say oops) in life. I'm now 60, but I was on her site today and realized my dad would be 113 years old this month, if he was still alive. He died when I was 13.

Just a reflection and I felt like posting it.

Cherish and enjoy your parents while you can,:poke:

Christmas
  2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe:
    I was a change of life baby too, ten years later than my three brothers. (another opps?)Actually, it was kind of cool, I was like an only child.......with brothers. They were in the service so it was kinda the best of both worlds. I will be 66 in January and my dad would have been 100 this past july. He died way too young at 61, but i was privledged to spend 24 years with him. Funny how it all happened, I finished school and moved to a job in Colorado. I didn't like it there and decided to return to CT, and joined he and mom on Vacation in NH. After enjoying the July 4th holiday I returned to find a job. I got a call that he had a heart attack and was in the ICU. Having worked my way through college as an orderly in 2 hospitals, I grabbed my whites and drove up to Laconia to be with dad. He had three attacks in all and the third one took him but I learned more about the man in 3 weeks than in the previous 24 years and was privledged to be with him. Iwas the last one in the family to speak to him alive.

Mom lived to be 94 and as I predicted the last thing to go was her sense of humor. Suffering with dimensia, I would say, "Mom, you can't die!" How old am I she would answer. 94, I'd respond. Why can't I die, she would ask. " Cause when you die,I become the "old people". and she would laugh and say, "You're funny!" She had the last laugh, I just got to LV, got unpacked and settled in, and had a good night's sleep when the nursing home called to say she was not doing well. My wife went to be with her, and I made arrangements to return home. I was back in time to be with her (she waited) and hold her hand as she entered the next life, again being privleded to have been there. Our elderly are a resource so often taken for granted. I always enjoyed going out in the am for coffee and talking with the "old timers". They were so helpful when I was starting a business, buying a house and learning how to do the things that a homeowner needs to know (I had several apt. houses). When visiting mom and hearing people moaning and walking around confused it is easy to forget that these were the people that taught me to tie my shoes, write a paragraph, hot to take the bus, keep me healthy and save our freedoms by serving in the military and stopping those who would threaten our liberty. Enjoy your elders while they are with us!

Jimbo338

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got you beat on the oops factor. I just turned 60, my oldest brother will be turning 75 next Spring and the "younger" twin brothers will turn 73. Lost mom 20 years ago. Cancer SUCKS!

Christmas
  4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just barely, Joe. My oldest brother is 79; I'm 65. My youngest bro is 75.

Jimbo338

5. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will try but they are arriving for a visit on friday - and staying for a month... by week two I don;t think cherish is the word I'll be using...... :D

6. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will be fine. Just count to ten before you snap back at them.

My SO lost his parents early in life and continually reminds me when I complain about mine to him. He's right of course, but it is sometimes hard to be positive when I'm expected to do everything for them. (There I go again)

I'm a member of Ancestry.com and have traced my father's maternal line back to the 15th century and the other lines back to the 17th century. It's well worth the subscription price to me.

First trip of 2017.
  7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! I think we've all been there!!!

My father just passed away on Sept. 28th at 78 and I have a very healthy mother who's 76 and I can relate to the other part of the conversation as I'm 54, have a 42 yo sister and a 32 yo brother (whose conception and birth interestingly was timed well with the installation of my parents jacuzzi tub!)

This past Thanksgiving was probably the best one we've ever had, as I think Dad's passing (the first real close death in our family) made us all appreciate and value each other a little more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.