1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by VegasMarv, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasMarv

VegasMarv Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally try to go the Vegas twice a year. Usually in January / February and September / October. My wife and I have been to Vegas twice together and although I love Vegas, she would rather go to Mexico or on a cruise or something else. I love my wife dearly but I get pissy if I don't get my Vegas fix twice a year. We've been married for 13 years and I still feel as though I have to "convince" her every time I want to go. We take vacations together, but I still feel as though I have to jump through hoops. She never says no, but she never seems thrilled either. She just says "go ahead"... Now those of you that are married know that this means she really doesn't want me to go and I'm liable to pay it back somehow upon my return :stir:

Also, she does not like to gamble :bang: and I DO! I like to drink and gamble and have a good time... I never put us in any financial troubles when going to Vegas as I have a very sustainable slush fund set up for this :thumbsup:.

Anyone else having these issues?

2. woodsie

woodsie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife would go to Vegas every weekend if we had the means and the time. She has dreams about epic craps rolls. Our honeymoon was in Vegas.

I feel for you bro. *hug*

3. Sallymander

Sallymander Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always go to Las Vegas with my best friend and/or my sister. The last time I went with my husband (to the Professional Bull Riding finals) he read a book while I gambled :rolleyes2: ... never again! In all fairness, I should add that he doesn't mind when I go...:kiss:...Vegas is just not his thing.

4. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope....we are both Vegas addicts and also go 2x a year. We are trying to figure out a way to float 2 LV trips and also taken great-grandson to WDW all in the same year. We have to take him before we are too old to enjoy it but really don't want to give up one of our LV trips. YUP...we are true addicts and admit it! lol

5. whiskers69

whiskers69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas twice a year since the early 90's. Wife and I go for two weeks in Feb. Then me and a few friends go for a week in July/ Aug. Wife and her sister go for four days in June. In Feb she goes three days ahead and I stay three days later. We both love vegas and would go more times if we could.

6. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm the one that wants to do everything and my husband does not.

DO you tell her to go on vacations by herself or with girlfriends or are you the only one who gets all the vacations? that would piss me off too.

There is one thing i want to do but the husband won't let me. I see his point, but i can take care of myself. I haven't gone yet, but one day i will.

We are coming across country (to vegas), only gonna cost us about 2 grand total with everything (very low roller here) and he told me today that is too expensive of a vacation (8 nights, 9 days). I told him that i am sure he is the only one on the planet who would think that lol.

7. Codewarrior47

Codewarrior47 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I'm married to your wife's sister....

8. fenway68

fenway68 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

And me to her other sister!

I go yearly with my dad, and a second time (every other year) "with the boys".

9. Persistent Cat

Persistent Cat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the end, you're pretty lucky to get to go although it'll probably cost you an expensive purse or pair of shoes (if she's anything like me) but not too expensive so she gets suspicious. There's a lot of trust required to let your spouse go to Vegas by themselves, there's a lot of trouble to get into there :wink2:

10. slimmy28

slimmy28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am divorced, but my first two trips to Vegas in the early 2000's were with my then wife who does not gamble or drink. I didn't have to talk her into going, but I knew after the 2nd trip that she had her Vegas fix. We didn't divorce for about 18 months after, so I'm pretty sure Vegas wasn't the cause. :)

In all seriousness, a like minded travel partner is towards the top of the list of anyone I date and potentially see a long term interest in. I love to travel, and not just to Vegas. However, I go to Las Vegas either 2 or 3 times a year. I would love to meet Ms. Right who clicks and gets it like I do. If she doesn't, but we click in every other aspect, she'll have to be cool with me going without her. I do not keep my love for Vegas a secret and would never want to be in a relationship where I have to "finagle" my way to go, or even flat out lie.

My advice, be open with how much you enjoy it. Make sure she knows that you are supportive of her doing or going somewhere that she really likes. Just my two cents.

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does she do anything fun while there?
    Does she get to things she would like?
    Or is she a lonely old maid?

Yes, some spouses just do not get Vegas. Some do not like being treated like the .... baggage. Not sure where you fit. My wife gets my attention all day, and into the early evening. Walking, shows, food. I stay up half the night and it works out for us.

12. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

In any good deal, both parties get a fair share of what they want. If one party is not getting her fair share, the deal will go sour. I would feel I was in a rut if I took two Vegas vacations a year and rarely went elsewhere. I would also be single.

13. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife & I came to an understanding a long time ago - I go to Vegas. Sometimes 1 or 2 times a year...sometimes 4. The frequency all depends on my available 'gambling fund'. I budget $60 a pay-check specifically for gambling. It gets direct-deposited in an account (credit union) solely for that purpose.
    When I go, I will always have at least $1600 in funds. But, since I almost never lose my entire bankroll...and I often win a little, the amount I come back with goes right back into the fund.
    So, I typically go 2 or 3 times a year. I always invite her to join me...it's become sort of tongue-in-cheek these days, as I know she will never say 'yes', but I still go through the motions of asking her.
    She has a 'regular' annual trip she takes to San Jose (CA) & she goes solo. I usually give her a few hundred of my gambling money to be crazy with while she's out there.
    Anyway - it works for us.
    Good luck with your own situation, but if I were you, I'd try to come to a similar understanding.
    (PS - married for 29 years, and when we met, I was already a Vegas regular, going about 4x a year...so, she knew what she was getting into.)

Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  14. touche22

touche22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm 40 and we've been together 7 yrs. She has zero interest in Vegas trips (a bit of a blessing) so she usually cool with 2-3 trips a year. Now, she doesn't like it at all when I leave but she tolerates it. If I could I could go ONCE A MONTH. I get all sorts of mailers for comped suites and slot tournies and if I'm home from work before her i see them, otherwise if she gets home before me they are recycled without my knowing.
    Before I ask about going on a trip I have a list of financials I need to go over in my head: have I paid off the credit card, is my last trip off the book etc.
    money can always b spent elsewhere it's just happens that Vegas is where I choose.
    On the other hand, I like to fish a lot so those trips are often without her as well. Maybe 5 wknds a year. It starts to add up fast. Luckily we both enjoy camping and wine so my fishing fix can be done while we are together. I'm always encouraging her to do whatever she wants. I don't get offended or upset when she plans "girl wknds" because I know that's 1 in the BANK FOR ME!!!!!!

15. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My fist trip was to be the only trip to see the famous LV while attending a trade show. Well it turned out that I learned a ton of stuff and learned the value of networking and that you can save big time when buying at show special so my one and only trip became my annual trip where I could learn new things, save on inventory and supplies, build up a network of contacts all while enjoying a tax break. My wife who had no interest in LV enjoys the ocean so each year I would give her money to rent a place and spend some time at the beach.

I took 2 of my 3 kids to LV on april vacation to spend some one on one time in a big city; the 3rd had accompanied me to my show another year. Now that I am near the end of my divorce, and I am 67, I deciced that perhaps a 2nd annual trip might be in order. Health and life are fragile and one needs to stop and smell the roses. I need to enjoy the fruit of my labor while I am still able.

Jimbo338

16. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I figured out some time ago that divorce was better than constantly arguing about how much fun I get to have versus her choosing to live a boring life. I was happily married for 3 years. The problem though is that I was married for a total of 35 years...

... And I'm not dead yet!

17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband doesn't love Vegas like I do. He will go, but I have to be the cruise director and I'd rather drink and gamble. He's good for about 20 minutes if he can find a $5 BJ table. :)

I've been meeting up with friends in Vegas the last few years. I travel solo to Vegas, spend time alone and with friends, then go to see my parents in CA. It works for us, but he understands that NoVegas makes me stabby. :nono:

It seems like you have two options - Either travel without her, or find things he likes to do while you gamble.

I've sent Dan to shows I didn't want to see or set up mountain bike or other activity tours for him.

I know I see a lot of gamblers report that their wives hit the spa. If you set her up with a massage, facial and mani/pedi, you've got a few hours to do whatever you want to do and you'll find a happy wife at dinner time. :thumbsup:

18. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel your pain.
    I just send mine with her friends on trips as much as she wants to go.
    She can't complain too much if she is always prancing around the globe ;-)

19. VegasMarv

VegasMarv Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps I should qualify some of my remarks before this begins to appear like I go to Vegas despite what my wife says and she sits around while I'm partying it up in Sin City. That is not the case at all.

My beloved wife and I go on vacation with each other once or twice a year. We usually go to Mexico or Hawaii and we both love the time together dearly. I was only making the comment that I truly love Vegas and love being there and she doesn't. Therefore, the past few years I have been going out there with some of my buddies and that seems to work out well. She just doesn't like Vegas and I always feel a little uncomfortable when I tell her I'm planning my next trip. I have no issues with her going with some friends on a vacation if that's what she wants to do. We both trust one another and I have never done anything in Vegas that would jeopardize that trust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.