1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Allegiant adds routes to Knoxville and El Paso from Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by SH0CK, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant is adding Knoxville and El Paso to direct flights to Vegas. I guess now that fuel prices are down again, they can afford to fly from Knoxville. They pulled those flights years ago saying that they weren't profitable, even though they were 90-100% full each time. Hopefully they will be using one of the Airbus jets instead of the MD80 from TYS to LAS to really save on fuel and make a real effort to keep these flights going.
    Edit to add: Nope, looks like MD80 flights :(

I think the big thing for Knoxville though, is Allegiant is also adding flights to Baltimore from Knoxville, which, for some reason, Knoxville has been begging airlines to fly to for years. If I'm not mistaken, I think there was also grant money allocated years ago to entice an airline (Southwest) to begin service to BWI. guess that may explain that.

http://ir.allegiantair.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=197578&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2128430

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. joaks

joaks Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We flew the TYS / LAS when they had it going. It was absolutely packed. I read somewhere that the route was only supposed to last long enough for them to get some sort of certification to fly over open water with their jets so they could do a Hawaii route. And once they got the hours of flight in, they stopped it....

Could just be something I made up in my mind though!

Glad they starting it back up. A TYS allegiant flight might force some of those high prices to LAS back down!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  3. SH0CK

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was the second go-around with Allegiant to Vegas from TYS. The first time, they used MD80 jets on the route then stopped the flights due to "not making money". The second time was with the 757s you are talking about. And you are right, they were using those jets on land based routes while they waited on their ETOPS certification to fly to Hawaii. The irony though, they are stopping Hawaii flights this year as all of those 757 planes are nearing their mandatory D checks and Allegiant doesn't want to pay for it.

And I'm right there with you on the other airlines dropping prices. I'll consider Allegiant flights now that they are starting back, but I still might want to pay a little more extra for more peace of mind with one of the big boys.

4. joaks

joaks Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like a non stop flight instead of going through ATL or Charlotte. On the other hand, if there's such a thing as quality on a coach flight, I put delta way above allegiant, at least in my experience. Plus, on a short trip of 1 week or less, we can get by with only carryons and personal items, and I believe allegiant is charging for carryons now. Not to mention, it's still a 2 hour drive to TYS for us, + parking. So the price difference for us to drive to TYS has be $100 or so RT per tick to be worth considering.

I was looking at flights in May out of TYS and didn't see frontier listed anymore. A quick Google search didn't net me any info. Did they pull out of Knoxville again?

5. SH0CK

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They only do seasonal service to Denver out of Knoxville. I think they start back up in May.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.