1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Alamo or Budget ?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by VegasMike, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasMike

VegasMike Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wondering. I can get a car from Alamo and Budget (Full Size) for the same rate.. Which was better customer service, ease of getting in and out and newer vehicles? Also does anyone know what they do have? Budget says CHEVROLET MALIBU where as Alamo says CHEVROLET IMPALA. Or as they both say "Or Similar" Thanks your help is greatly appreciated.

And as always "Stay thirsty my friends" :peace:

2. g-didi

g-didi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually rent from Alamo/National and am very familiar with their process. I just got back from a trip where I rented from Budget due to a significant price difference.

I am a member of both companies renter clubs - this affords you a quicker process for car pickup - read less standing in line like I see at Payless and Advantage. I hate line ups. I would suggest joining these clubs.

Having used both services I give a wide edge to Alamo.

Alamo allows me to online checkin the night before arrival and this speeds up an already quick process that existed before - using their kiosk instead of the counter. Alamo allows me to walk right out to the row of whichever sized vehicle I reserved and to choose my own car and drive out to the booth for the final paperwork. I like being able to sit in the car before selecting that specific vehicle. The last 3 cars I have rented from Alamo have been new - less than 2000 miles on the odometer. And clean. Returning with Alamo has been quick in the past.

This experience with Budget wasnt horrible, but it was a lot slower retrieving the car. I had to go to a booth in the garage instead of the counter - great, that saved me some time! - but at the booth there was still some paperwork to handle. The booth had a sign with my name and my car assignment - the stall number of my preassigned vehicle. This trip I was given a Dodge (which I hate as I tend to whack my head or knees getting in or out this design. There were no other cars available in my class.) The car wasnt clean - there was some kind of drink residue explosion all over the passenger doors inside. With 15000miles on the clock the car did have a lot of minor scratches etc that we spent a good 10 minutes documenting in the dim garage. At the drive out booth the operator there was very quick. I found the return agent to be far more thorough than Alamo with the return inspection - good thing we put all those dots on the damage sheet.

There was no difference for ease of access to either company. All the rental companies are in the same building - when you exit the shuttle bus you step into a "mall of car rental counters". Their cars are out back in a parking structure which you access just beyond the counters with escalators etc. Well signed for pick up and drop off. No advantage to either one there.

Given a choice I would go Alamo over Budget. If the cost difference is significant I will still rent from Budget, but its not my favourite. YMMV

3. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

I agree with g. Even if you sign up for both companies' frequent renter program, Alamo is faster-check in at kiosk and go upstairs to get your car. I also like that you can pick out your own car at Alamo. At Budget, your car is preassigned. Most of the time we rent a compact and have been upgraded to a mid size just for asking. That being said, our last few rentals have been with Budget because Alamo's prices have been through the roof and I hate their new website. Budget's prices have been acceptable through Costco if you have a card but we've had a problem with a glitch (charging us more than the contracted price). It was resolved but took time. All else being equal, I would choose Alamo.

4. VegasMike

VegasMike Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the infor. Looks like Alamo might be a winner like me.!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.