1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airport Delays In Vegas...TSA Cut Backs!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DOUBLE B, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone notice longer lines and or more time to get thru screening. TSA is not hiring and no overtime for employees so checking in (screening TSA) lines should be noticable longer within the next few weeks. Anyone see any effect yet?

2. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    federal airport employees, TSA and otherwise, by law get a 30 day notice with regards to furloughs, so no noticible delays should be expected until April 1st

3. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to CBS new today some major aiports are already experiencing delays (i.e Chicago, New York, Atlanta). Yes, notices are being sent out concering furloughs but this has nothing do with "no new hires" and with "no overtime" this has a immediate effect. It is not a question of when the delays will begin but long they are now and where.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If this was a paying business, folks would find a way to manage the process without impacting the customer. Companies do 10% trimming all the time.

And, for anyone observing the TSA operation, you can see they have lots of extra people.

Any slowdowns are the result of total lack of management, or an effort to make it look bad. Add the combination of those two factors, and it could be a mess.

For those that do not know, TSA stands for Thousands Standing Around.

5. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed ^

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

From what I've been reading the biggest impact in the next month or so would be because of OT cuts. Before the cutbacks they would be able to use OT during busy periods to handle the load but now during periods like spring break they may be swamped with their current staffing level.

we all know what a crock TSA is and their handling of security for our country.

Hmmm, if this were a paying business we would probably have a resort fee or more fees tacked onto the price of our ticket, lol, just kidding. We have seen what "paying businesses" like the airlines are doing and I really don't think it will be any better whether it was privatized or not. You find mismanagement and lack of management even in the private sector.

I worked for the local government before. Left to go to the private sector, was tired of all the bs and mismanagement, thought that they would be more efficient and managed better, that making money was their priority and that you get ahead based on your producing and hard work but I found that to be untrue. After moving around to a few private sector jobs I found that they were just as bad as the public sector jobs, that getting ahead and raises were not based on how good you are and how you produced but who you know and how good a brown noser you are. I also found a lack of job security, many old timers were let go (downsizing) but then they hired a bunch of new people 6 months later. Basically they downsized to get rid of the higher paid older workers and rehired new workers at greatly lower salaries to keep their bottom line expenses (labor costs) down.

After 8 years of the private sector I moved back to a public sector job. Pay isn't that great (probably 25% less for IT positions) but I have good benefits (paid sick and vacation) and a good retirement program. At least the government doesn't just get rid of workers like the private sector (many of my former workers were laid off and now asking about jobs in government) and leave them hanging.

Sorry, just giving my opinion. Many people knock government workers and their benefits but at least they take care of their workers and won't leave many of them hanging out to dry. But then my private sector experiences were with bigger companies (financial institutions, hospitals, insurance companies) where it is easier to stay afloat even with mismanagement.

7. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a $2.50 TSA fee added to every enplanement. (September 11 Security Fee)

Most regular businesses would just pass the expenses onto the consumer and raise the fee. (not wanting to give them any ideas...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.