1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airline Loyalty

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Piggylane, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just arrived in Anchorage having traveled from Hartford to Minneapolis to get here on Delta Airlines.

I know some of you are very price conscious and others aren't. Let me tell you what happened when I was exiting the plane in Minneapolis!

A Delta representative was at the plane door with an iPad with my name and two others. It had our connecting cities. One lady who was also in First was going to Los Angeles and somebody in Coach was going to Portland, OR. We came in at Gate C23 on the North side of the terminal and those three flights were going out of F and G gates on the South side, a hike, but we had plenty of time.

He asked us if we wanted a ride in a Porsche? Of course! So we exited the jetway, went outside and there was a Delta branded Porsche SUV Hybrid. Apparently they've have a joint marketing effort with the car company for a while. He explained that they selected us for our loyalty, not the tight connections. I was the only Diamond, the other two were Platinum flyers. All three of us were Million Milers (I'm nearing three million base miles).

We weren't selected for who we are because the guy sitting next to me in First, also going to Portland, was an HP executive and he will be on CNBC TV tomorrow. Also a Diamond. The "host" said there were several factors as to why we were selected and loyalty was the primary one.

Why am I relating this story? I've been telling people for years that airline loyalty works. This proves it. If you bargain shop trying to shave $14 off a flight and that particular airline craps all over you well you won't get any recourse. If you select one, particularly one with a good reputation and stick with them, it can pay off in the long term.

It probably was coincidental but even though I wasn't upgraded to Anchorage I am all the way back through Seattle and Detroit.

Does this make me want to buy a Porsche? No. I can't see throwing bales of hay in it and hauling two horses between farms. I need utility, not luxury! Nice ride though.

Happy and safe flying folks!

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being a past Plat on Delta for 5 years running, there are some nice perks. Now that they have added the Diamond level above that, even more.

BUT - I would guess a very small percent of the folks on this board would ever, ever get to either of those levels. That is lots of flying. Like over 100 flight segments a year (and some other convoluted qualifications)

3. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, I saw the Porsche for the first time there last weekend but I don't fly through LAX much. Apparently they do it in Detroit as well.

Attached Files:

4. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe Spirit will pick us up in a 1989 toyota,ripped seats,no air,pwr.windows broken and driver doesnt speak english.

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, yeah, but Southwest has singing flight attendants.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a pretty brand and company loyal consumer in most aspects of my life. That's not to say that a decent offer or discount wouldn't get me to try something I ordinarily wouldn't, but I always seem to come back to good value and good service. This is one of the reasons I've learned not to comment on the LV for the Frugal and/or Comps threads. I don't understand the mindset and it just frustrates me.

7. miniwhale

miniwhale Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband has been Diamond with Delta for the last couple years. Obviously, he flies a lot. He has also had something similar happen in Atlanta where they took him out to a car with a couple other guys, but they didn't have connecting flights. Of course, that, along with their upgrade criteria, are confusing.

But we get tons of ff miles, and they do treat him well, as also, he is respectful with them. He has seen many who feel entitled and are quite rude to the flight attendants.

8. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very cool! I rarely fly Delta. Need to take another look at them.
    I always thought DELTA stood for:
    Don't Even Leave The Airport
    or Don't Even Let Them Arrive!
    They had a pretty bad safety record in the 80's.

9. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have stayed loyal to my airline over the years. It's paid off for me on a few occasions.

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

We fly Alaska as much as possible, but given the route system, where we live, and how we travel, that is not always possible, so on those instances we shoot for a partner airline if possible. But if we can, it is Alaska, even if it costs a bit more. Life isn't always about squeezing out every nickel, and as smart's suggesting, value can often pay far greater dividends than so-called frugality. (Loyalty? Terri's using points to fly first-class to Australia this fall on a partner airline. Anyone who says mileage and CC plans are hocus-pocus is delusional.)

11. mikeinctown

mikeinctown Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lmfao!

12. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly mostly Delta these days but that's because Delta is a good airline for where I live and where I want to travel. Most years I'm silver, occasionally gold depending on business travel.

13. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:

You forgot

Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive

My Delta FF number is under 500,000. I started flying with them when the program started. In fact I remember landing in Atlanta the day when Eastern Airlines went out of business, seeing all the Eastern jets parked on the ramp. I've had my issues with them but I've had bigger issues with other carriers (went down an emergency chute on USAIR once).

I am brand loyal but you can piss me off and I'll switch. I was loayl to Avis for 25 plus years and a sequence of poor cars, poor service and very unresponsive customer service has me loyal to Hertz now. Yes I know they are very expensive but I'm not footing the bill and we get a big corporate discount on the back end (plus Piggylane has built up four free rental week in 13 months for his personal use!)

Whatever airline, car rental or hotel you choose contact their customer service with both positive and negative comments and be reasonable. It usually pays off in the long term. If it doesn't, switch.

14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember, it's Spirit! They will charge you for it! :)

15. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :kill:

16. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm very loyal to my brands as well, especially when it comes to travel. I like Delta's in-flight product but despise the way they run their frequent flier program, specifically with how they've been making changes w/o giving any advanced notice. I don't care about the mileage earning rates since the new system somewhat works out better for me (unless the 75K cap actually affects me) since I purchase Biz fares.

Airline-wise, I'm loyal to Alaska so most of my travel is either with them or one of their partner carriers. Hotel-wise, I'm loyal to SPG and Hyatt unless I'm splurging on a 5* hotel for a leisure stay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.