1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airline fees ok?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Terry Benedict, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So here's a couple quotes from USAToday:

"Without charging fees last year, airlines would have lost money and offered fewer flights, says Victoria Day, a spokeswoman for the Airlines for America trade group. "
    "According to the Department of Transportation's Bureau of Transportation Statistics, 15 U.S..airlines reported revenues of $2.6 billion from baggage fees and $2.1 billion from reservations change fees during the first three quarters last year. "

Is there any question that if they didn't make this kind of money on fees that seat pricing would go up? I really don't understand why it costs so much to change a ticket, but I can appreciate the baggage fee.

And thank you Southwest for being different. (Even though if you charged for baggage my rate would probably go down.)

2. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just because that is how they made a profit doesn't mean they are ok. They could have raised the rates across the board as well instead of charging baggage fees for example.

When the price is extremely important to a person, I just assume they know baggage will cost them something. Would 10% of people simply choosen not to fly last year because the round trip ticket cost ~$30 more?(I can't go $50, because not everyone pays right now).

Honestly I've given up caring on these 2 items. I'm knowledgable enough that I just know to add $50 on to a ticket outside of southwest if I'm going for more than a few days. I don't suddenly fly because I can take a carry on and it becomes cheaper. I fly because I need to fly.

The change fees should bother me more. I think the only reason they don't is because there was not a single time in my life where I was flying and these didn't exist. It is the norm. I know when I book my flight, I am locked in.

Southwest is still good for me, but ONLY because it has a few nonstops that noone else has. Those happen to be the only routes they are cheaper on as well.

3. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ralph Nadar threatened a claim in small claims court after US Airways attempted to charge a flight change fee. They backed down and gave him a full refund, without any fees.

I was stuck paying a fee and using miles to change a flight a few weeks ago (though I did get a "free" extra night in Vegas). Not a fan of bag fees or resort fees. I travel carry on only and tend to get comped rooms w/o resort fees.

4. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sort of like an all-inclusive trip to Mexico....charge me one goddamn price. Don't quote me a price only to show a baggage fee or resort fee a few pages later in the reservation confirmation...charge me one damn price.

5. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as I can recall, I've never paid a fee,you dont have to pay them you know.

6. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish they would waive the change fee if the fare you booked goes down before you travel.

40th Birthday Bash!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.