1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airfare Bidding?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Shelbymae, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wondering if anyone here has ever done priceline bidding for airfare, and if you have had good results? Since I live in an area that has very few airports, I am not sure that its even worth trying since everything is small...(MSP is a little over 5 hours) Just wondering if anyone has tried doing it out of the smaller airports

2. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not done the name-your-price but I've read that it can be tricky when doing it because they can give you multiple connections and multiple airlines on those connections. So you may get one from MSP to SLC to LAX to LAS or something like that and have it be on two different carriers and it could be totally different on your return trip.

Another drawback to using a booking site is that any issues you have with your itinerary or irrops (weather/maintenance/cancellations) the airlines arent as flexible as if you booked directly through them

3. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ive done it a few times.

but where I live, theres tons of flights from all sorts of carriers. budget ones like spirit and south west and jet blue. and all the major ones. The budget ones normally don't get in on the bidding processes.

1. you have the option for non stop
    2. you DO NOT have the option to chose departure times. Its a gamble for the departure times going both ways. If you are unlucky you can lose 2 days. Leaving late the day you want to travel and forced to come back early on the last day.
    3. turn around if you get a winning bid is quick, so you can bid many times with different email addresses/accounts.

these days, I wouldn't gamble on my vacation timing.

fk

4. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont care so much about flight times, as I would be planning a 5-6 day trip and dont have alot of plans or a schedule that I need to be anywhere by a certain time...(If I did I would arrive the day before) but usually prices are over 400 round trip, so if I could save over 150 I would be flexible....we dont have any of the low cost carriers here except allegiant, I have a 1 gate airport that is 1hr 15 min away, and then Fargo, that is about 2 hours away, everything else is 5-6 hours away....so really no option to even select other airports or change requests.

5. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always wanted to try it but I know i'll end up with an undesirable flight time. I've had a friend who has bid on priceline before and he's always ended up on a red eye flight. As long as that's ok with you, then it doesn't cost you anything to see how low of a price you can get.

6. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too big of gaps for me to try it since i could depart. @ 6am from vegas and then not get home til 10pm would be a waste of a day

7. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in the days prior to Spirit, I did it a couple of times. Back then, you could specify "number of stops", at either 1, 2, or any.
    I selected "1" both times, and both times I got the flight on my first bid.

I would never do it today out of DFW because of Spirit & Frontier.
    Frontier's not a horrible airline, but the layover times in Denver are as much as 6 hours. That is intolerable. 90 minutes is my maximum tolerance level for a layover.

I suppose if they offered the service where you could exclude specific airlines, I would consider trying it again.

Be aware - on a priceline ticket, you cannot change flights, cannot accept a voluntary bump & cannot receive any compensation from the airline if you are bumped - just a seat on the next flight.
    (At least that's how it used to be)

PS - I determined my bid by looking at the cheapest flight offered by any airline on any date...and then subtracted 10%.

Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  8. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks topcard!! Thankfully I got a great deal to vegas for this year without having to use priceline, and was able to snag a $226 RT flight on Frontier, before they started charging for carry on bags, but looking at a flight to go see my son and daughter inlaw end of Sept, at Ft Drum NY for the birth of my grandson, but the flights have been 500-600....and of course they dont live near a major airport either....Thanks for the tip of how you determined your bid...I know priceline says "save up to 40%" but I figured starting my bid at 30% and go from there. Of all the flights I have researched, there is no less than 2 stops, and most leave between 6 and 8 am wont get me in until 10:30 at night....Unless I leave from MSP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.