1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Air Canada Rouge

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by LAS, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAS

LAS Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LAS here, long time no post. Been traveling other parts of the world and decided that a Vegas trip is much over due!! (328 Days 2 hours 35 minutes to be exact :faint: )

Just recently booked with Air Canada Rouge and was wondering if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences with them. I've flown Air Canada many times and they're alright for getting around.. but I've read some funky things about AC Rouge.

If anyone has flown with them please feel free to share your experiences!

Thanks,

LAS

rouge.jpg

2. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i don't like Rouge, but unfortunately, if I want to fly non stop direct, Rouge is my only choice with Air Canada. I could fly Westjet, but I find the seats to be uncomfortable.

I have rarely had a flight that isn't full. The seats on Rouge seem much tighter than on Air Canada. I recently flew on Air Canada Jazz on a Bombardier CRJ705. The plane was older, but compared to Rouge, it felt like I was in a limo!!!

The available space for carry on luggage is smaller. On Vegas flights, I find the majority try to go with carry on luggage to avoid paying for baggage. This is a nightmare on the plane. Maybe if the airline cracked down and actually enforced the maximum size and weight of carry on bags, it wouldn't be such an issue.

3. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh boy. Where to start. Well, newmans has covered some of the basic points.

The seat pitch is very tight. Out of Calgary you should be okay, not that long of a flight. But out of Toronto it's hell.

For one thing, they never, never, never leave on time. Take a look for yourself.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ROU1851

Why do I fly Rough I mean Rude I mean Rouge? Because AC is the only connector to Flusherville Regional Aerodrome. If Westjet Encore flew here I'd never look back. Every time I've flown Rouge from Toronto to Vegas I look at the last 10 or 12 flights or whatever it is - they are never on time.

Here is a big tip for you.

The 'C' row seats have a metal box housing some wiring that takes up a third of your leg-room. Avoid the 'C' row. You're welcome.

Oh by the way, there are no seat back TVs. There are no power outlets. It's a friggin' third world bus with wings.

Want more? Check out my experiences last summer with a delayed flight.

Starts here: http://www.royalflushervegas.com/2014/09/defcon-chatty-grandma.html

Hint - third plane is a charm.

4. scohitch

scohitch Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With all of these bad reviews, do you still feel as though WestJet is that terrible? Free movies on the plane, if you get one with a seatback TV and $45 upgrades to Plus seating which really does provide far more leg room.

Now that the US carriers have stopped the $150 first class upgrades at the ticket counter, and since I've moved to Calgary, I fly WestJet all the time.

5. DBear

DBear VIP Whale

I haven't flown rouge to las but have to lax. Are all their planes the same? My plane to lax didn't have setback tv's either (ac's big advantage over westjet live tv) but they do have wifi on board. You can log into the AC entertainment system on a smartphone or iPad or tablet. Mine worked although I would have preferred watching a movie in front of me instead of having to look downwards all the time. You need to download AC's app to access their system. You can also rent tablets too on board but the wifi is free if you use your own device. Can't get onto the internet, just their own emtertainment system.

Seats were a bit tight and hard but I've had worse. Rouge isnt flying long distances, just short usa regional destinations so i gather theyre banking on people being able to put up with the slight discomfort. Staff is still friendly, almost like what westjet was when they first launched. But, rouge is taking a lot of flack from AC regulars. Still, what are you gonna do, switch carriers? Perhaps if you fly occasionally but business travelers and frequent travelers will still remain with them for the most part. It's not perfect but its not as bad as what some make it out to be either.

6. wellwood

wellwood Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YES! THIS!! It's such a pain to have to put my bag at my feet because some ahole crams a giant suitcase that takes up the entire overhead compartment. As if i didn't feel enough like a sardine to begin with, now I have to contend with my bag at my feet due to some inconsiderate jerk.

Wasn't aware of this, so Thank you!

And even though I had the Air Canada app on my Samsung Galaxy S4, I was still unable to access the in flight movies. Not sure what went wrong there, but I have heard of other people having success with this, maybe you just need a legit iPad.

7. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is AC rouge? How do I know if I have booked a rouge or a regular AC flight - when I'm looking at flight options?

8. DBear

DBear VIP Whale

DonnyC, the flight number will be in a red box in the flight option list when searching flights. I think there's a footnote too that indicates its a Rouge flight. Rouge flies to a couple major US destination cities like LA, Vegas, SFO and Hawaii on the west coast. Not sure where they fly on the east coast.

9. Royal Flusher

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. danielao

danielao Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll bump this old thread instead of starting a new one.

Flew Ottawa -> Toronto -> Las Vegas, and then the opposite on the way home. Flights from Ottawa to Toronto and Toronto back to Ottawa were regular Air Canada. The long flights were on Rouge.

My connection time in Toronto both ways was only about an hour, so things were going to be tight. Get off my Ottawa flight on time, hustle through Pearson, and get to my gate for the Rouge flight to Vegas. I look at the plane parked outside and wonder how 200+ people are ever going to fit on it. Then I realize it's 8:20. Scheduled departure time was 8:20pm. At 8:20, there were at least 100-125 people waiting to board. Good start... Flight left after 9pm.

Return trip. First bad sign.... before there was even a plane parked at the gate, they started calling for people to gate check their larger carry-ons. Scheduled boarding time was 11:15pm for an 11:55pm flight. At 11:15, the flight coming in from Toronto finally taxied to the gate. We take off only 20 minutes late this time, but my chances of making my connection home to Ottawa are getting slimmer by the second.

Get to Toronto. Still have 30 minutes before my 8:10am flight home. Get to the baggage carousel, and ooh look, it's already moving with luggage on it. Hmm, all the luggage looks pretty small... Oh, that's only the gate checked bags. Round and round they spin, and they're all gone.... and the carousel stops. And no more luggage comes. Here comes the PA system...

"Passengers waiting for luggage from Air Canada Rouge flight 1854 from Las Vegas, your luggage will be delayed 5-10 minutes. Sorry, we suck at our job."

Oh ffs. 5 minutes. Nothing. 10 minutes. Nothing. Phone beeps. Oh guess what, since we are incapable of unloading a plane, you've been bumped to the next flight home. At least Toronto to Ottawa has flights every hour. I think there were five of us went through the same thing, could have been more.

Since they have no real in-flight entertainment system, they tell you to download the Air Canada app so you can watch stuff on your device. I never got any movies or TV shows to play on my device. I don't know if it doesn't work properly with Android devices. If you fly Rouge, just be prepared with your own pre-downloaded shows and movies on your phone/tablet to be safe.

And what is with those hats the flight attendants wear?

11. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to agree with the others have said so far about Rouge, squatty, delayed etc etc etc..

Unfortunately, if we want to fly from the east coast to Vegas with AC we have to use rouge, either via Montreal or the T dot. We no longer book with AC by choice, and prefer to fly on United via Newark, or the US Airways flight via Philly....if we are really stuck we will book rouge but will pay the $$ to upgrade to the Premium Rouge, for the extra space:

Pitch Width Seating details
    Premium Rouge 35 18 12 standard seats with 5 recline
    Rouge Plus 35 18 6 standard seats with 5 recline
    Economy 29 18 118 standard seats with 3 recline

12. pleasemum

pleasemum Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "The 'C' row seats have a metal box housing some wiring that takes up a third of your leg-room. Avoid the 'C' row. "

To add to Royal Flusher's post.....the "H" row seats also have this issue with the metal box.

We fly Rouge and like the configuration of 2 - 3 - 2 for seating as we can get more comfortable without a 3rd person in our row...make sense? It just feels more comfortable for two despite the seat pitch being the smallest ever!!

13. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown rouge a few times, never had an issue. I usually take it on the redeye home and sleep the whole flight anyways, so I wouldn't really notice.

With that said, I'm a leaner guy (5'8, 160 LBS) so I don't take up a lot of space. For taller/wider people, I could see us not having matching opinions

14. Royal Flusher

Trips to Las Vegas:

I should have clarified that the C row thing was on the 767s. They also fly A319s.

Right now, the Premium Roudge seats on the A319 are just the same as the Roudge Plus seats - with the middle seat blocked off with pillows. This is due to change starting in June when they will put actual bus. class seats in. Roudge blows.

15. zenvegas

zenvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AC Rouge was supposed to be Air Canada's discount carrier. So they crammed more seats into the plane than would be found in a "normal" Air Canada plane. However, it hasn't worked out that way. They don't discount these flights compared to their competitors and they can carry more passengers.
    They also removed the entertainment systems from these planes. You need a tablet, or they'll rent you one. One thing I didn't know at the time was that you had to download the app before you got on the plane (where there is still wifi) or it won't work.
    I think its really less for more money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.