1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

advice for job loss/keeping spirits up!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by amk121, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amk121

amk121 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all! So, after 14 years at my job they cut my job just like that and I am back to the job search. I know some of you have probably been in the same boat...how do you keep your spirits up? and since this is VMB, how do you keep them up when you know you have to put off going to Vegas for a while?:) Life sure has its twists and turns...!

2. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hang in there. Take time and think about all the experience you have gained on the job and how it can cross over to other fields. There are some great sites online that assists with job searches and also warns you of the pitfalls in job hunting such as resume blasts etc. Although my job wasn't cut I made the decison a year ago to stop working and it took away a high five figure income which certainly minimizes my travel to and spending in Vegas. I am able to go to LV but I can't play like I used to with the job cushion in place. I have found some of the best job prospects come from who you know rather than advertisements. I know that job prospects seem bleak now but it is amazing in that people who really want to work can usually find something. It may not be what you want or what you were doing but use it as a stepping stone to get where you want to be.

If you get down please feel free to send a personal message. My husband and I are available to lend an ear. I hope you find something soon and in the mean time VMB is the best place to be if you can't be in Las Vegas. Good luck.

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, the not going to Las Vegas part can really suck :(

Off the start, my suggestion for this situation would be:

Don't put off the job search.
    A lot of people who become unemployed end up taking a little break from the work, like: I've been working 5 days a week every week for the last 15 years... I'm going to take a month off! But if it takes 1-2 months to land a new job (searching, resume writing, networking, job interviews, waiting for call backs, etc) then that one month off can become more like 2-3 or more months off in a row.

Try to maintain a work-like routine.
    Its tempting to start sleeping in until noon, getting up, making breakfast and then sitting down and watching afternoon TV all afternoon before searching for a job - if you are going to be doing a lot of searching over the internet it doesn't really matter if you search at 9AM or 9PM.
    But for some people that can lead to a feeling of depression and boredom and end up getting them in a bad routine. If your normal routine was nine to five then you should probably work to maintain something similar. That doesn't mean you have to get up at 6:30AM every day and do some multi hour routine to simulate getting ready and commuting to work, you could still get up at 8:30AM and have something for breakfast before hitting the computer at 9AM and starting your search.

4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    amk121,
    Over the last 27 years my job has been cut 3 times, the most recent was 2010 after 20 years with the same job. They eliminated our entire shop and moved the work to a larger facility but gave us no opportunity to move. Some of the people had been there longer than me.

Losing a job sucks! I can feel for you. Been there. I hate it happened to you. Sign up for Unemployment pay if you can. If they offered outplacement help, see if that will help bring your resume up to date.

In my area a lot of jobs are posted on craigslist, sounds strange but its true. Network, most new jobs are found through the people you know or worked with. Most companies seem to post jobs online and you apply online. Some of them let you sign up for email alerts on new openings.

Reduce expenses. Look at the monthly bills and cut back where you can. Maybe cut out or lower the cable bill. Look at cheaper cell phone plans. Minimize expenses so your funds last as long as possible.

While I was unemployed I did as much of the housework as I could so my wife saw some benefit of me being home.

When you do get a new job and back on your feet the trip to Vegas will be so much sweeter.

Good luck, I hope you find something soon!

Praying for you!

Tye

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my favorite lines from The Godfather: "it's not personal, it's just business". When I was laid off from my last job in 2009 after 14 years, my former employer was restructuring and I got whacked along with 9 others in my position. I thought I survived the three previous rounds of layoffs, but at least my boss called me and he didn't surprise me with two behind the ear.

The best advice to stay positive is to realize that your job loss is a business decision for the good of the rest of the company, do not make it a personal issue. It took me a few months to achieve clarity, it's ok to not buy into this right away.

You are hurting and raw, filled with emotions and second guessing yourself. What is done is done, don't look back, rear view mirrors are for cars. Move on, move forward, starting right now your new job is to get a new job. Get into a routine and stay sharp. Some folks exercise in the morning, walking is a great way to reflect and plan the day. Hit the rack at the same time each night, its easy to stay up and binge watch 5 seasons of Breaking Bad on Netflix till 2 AM, don't fall into that trap.

This may sound trite but many folks find better employment after a job loss, companies looking to hire are experiencing growth, so use your talents right now to newtork, research, and talk to everyone about finding work. You never mentioned your profession, but you could join LinkedIn and look for a group that best matches your skills in your industry. Attend trade shows in your industry even if it means paying out of pocket for travel. Get your resume updated by a professional, practice interview, don't sound bitter about your former employer because no prospective employer wants to listen.

As for myself, after 14 years I hated my job, my boss and my employer not for who or what it was, but for what it had become. It was great when I started there, but the company slowly changed its course, it was like death by 1,000 paper cuts. Getting whacked for the first time in my life was the best thing to happen to me in retrospect. I didn't believe it when it happened since my employer delayed paying severance for 6 months plus I had to pay for my health benefits under COBRA for me and my family. They were hoping I would violate my 3 year non-compete/non-disclosure agreement and avoid paying severance. Yes, I had a lawyer review my contract.

I met my former boss recently and had a couple beers with him and a few ex colleagues. Alcohol loosened my tongue and I let it slip that I was doing better now than before, so my ex-boss did a double take then stuck out his hand for a shake and said "you're welcome". I shook his hand with a chuckle, realizing how lucky I was not working for this a$$hole. You never get muddy by taking the high road. Good Luck! Vegas will always be there when you get back in the game.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  6. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have gone through this a couple times and the worst part was the blow to the ego.

The best thing to do is to get that unemployment started online and then make the best of your days.

Figure it will take a month or two to get another job so dont push it until the end before trying to get back into the market.

last time i went through this i got a job right away, the time before that i took the summer off, went to vegas twice and generally just drank beer, worked in my woodshop in the garage and relaxed. not in that order of course, i drank the beer after the power tools.

if you have a few bucks then do some math and see how long you can go.

maybe its an opportunity to find a new direction in life for you.

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've been there a few times. :( It doesn't get any easier, but try to have faith and hope that something better is waiting on the horizon for you.

And after our last ahem... employment break... be sure to make time for yourself too. We spent way too much time worrying about not having money this fall and didn't have much fun this summer as a result. We really should have gotten away at least once.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I was shown the door nearly 14 years ago. Walked in, office was locked, note to see the CEO. "Hand over your car keys, corp AMEX, the corp books, etc. Adios."

As someone said, don't dally, don't go into seclusion. Still live life, but you might not find what you want to do for a while, so you need to be defining what that is and then pursuing it starting right away.

Bummers for you. I'm sorry. On the other hand, you have no idea what an opportunity this might be!!!!

9. QueenAngie

QueenAngie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep thinking positive that your next job is just around the corner! Keep in your going to work morning routine. Job your at this point is applying for jobs. Dress for success. Put your application on Monster.com and checking Craigslist is another opportunity. Word of mouth is helpful. Ask your friends, neighbors, people from community organizations where you are a member, church friends as these are all good resources.

Wishing you all the best!

10. amk121

amk121 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for the comments so far!! You guys are wonderful:) I at least have a severance package for few months, so it should help a little. Being in the DC area too, it looks like there are a lot of job openings. I agree with everyone that said, it's basically a full time job to look for a job (get up in the morning!) and to have time for some fun...I was never really treated very well in my last job, so I hope my next one will be much better for me...Thanks again:)

11. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depending on your field, you may have better results putting your profile and resume on LinkedIn rather than Monster.
    While you are job hunting, try to spend at least 30 minutes each day on physical activity - either walking or something more strenuous like stair climbing or calisthenics. Regular exercise can alleviate depression and gives one a sense of accomplishment.
    Good luck on your job search!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.