1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Advice For A Tourney Noob?

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by Breeze147, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have played in cash games on Fremont. I want to expand my horizons by getting into No Limit and Tournaments. I have never played either one except on the computer and then just for fun.

I can actually make money playing in $2 - $4 cash games.

I'm staying at Mirage and Golden Nugget.

Any tips?

2. dernsky

dernsky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you should try the Aria 1 pm or 7 pm tourney. $125, i play there every trip. worth the walk from the mirage.:beer:

3. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aria is a great tourney

Breeze--welcome! See you lots over at TA (kbunde here)

It is a large field (usually 100+) of generally good to excellent players & will last 8+ hours. I have learned to play the 1PM early in my trip, and be fed , well rested & few alcoholic drinks.

I don't know of any limit tourneys on the strip. But some shorter, smaller, less expensive toureys (with relatively decent structure--though not as good as Aria, you get what you pay for!) are Planet Hollywood, Ballys, Flamingo, Harrahs & Treasure Island.

www.allvegaspoker.com has a great summary of all the games in town; it isn't perfect, but generally accurate.

I avoid tournaments that are very low priced & allow rebuys--it becomes a shove-fest. I won't play tourneys with 15 min. blinds (20 is fine; love 30 but it does make for a long day). I like 4500+ starting stack with BB at 1% of my stack or less. (most tourneys start at 25/50, but some are 100/200 & that is dramatically different!) Love tourneys with 8000+ but again, in for the long haul.

Venetian & Wynn also have some similar tourneys to Aria in price & structure.

Good Luck!

4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks KKB et al, we'll see what happens.

5. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mirage has a couple pretty good dailys at 2 and 7 for around $60 AND THE COMPETITION IS PRETTY SOFT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.