1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Advantage Rental Car

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by airblaster503, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airblaster503

airblaster503 Newbie

Well we are heading to Las Vegas in less than a month and are looking to rent a car the first day we are there to take out to the Hoover Dam. Advantage seems to have the best rates but the online reviews are very hit or miss. How worried should we be if we go through them about a long line at around 9:30-10 in the morning on a Thursday?

Any other experiences and advice are welcome.

2. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are renting Friday am to Monday am in June. We are picking it up at Gold Coast after a 3 night stay and dropping off at the Main Street Station on Sunday night and staying at California for 3 nights. I talked to the lady at the desk at the MSS Advantage counter as I was worried about the "drop box" for the key. Who verifies the condition of the vehicle etc. as the counter is closed about 3 pm or so. She said there has never been a problem....when dropping off in the MSS parking lot. Pointing to a map she showed me the available spaces for returns.

Not sure how cheap they are compared to other companies at that time but we are saving cab far / shuttle fees in not having to go from the GC to the airport and then from the airport to the California hotel upon returning. There was no additional charge for picking up one place and dropping off in another. And although fees were added there were fewer than the airport fees I have seen attached previously.

Old negative me says "What if somebody gets loaded and throws a bottle or other object over the fence and busts the windshield, headlight, mirror or backs into the vehicle once I have turned it in?" Again she said it has never happened but also agreed taking pictures once parked (if a timestamp is present) would be a good idea if I chose to do so.

In answer to your question, I don't know either but the lady at the counter @ MSS was most accommodating and tried to help me as best she could. So we will see.

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  3. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely take pics after you park it. The old "trust us it's never happened before" can bite you in the ass.

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I have rented from Advantage at MSS before. No problems returning the key to their drop box. I usually cram the key deep into the box so nobody can take them out. Parking return for MSS is in the lot across the street. I never had any problems with it. Nobody can steal the car because they have to show the parking attendant their rental receipt before he lets you out so someone can't just take the key and try to drive out (of course if the attendant is gone then that is another story but I never had a problem returning at MSS).

It turned out better for me because I only had rented the car to midnight but I returned it at 1:30 am but there was nobody there to check when I returned it. Be aware that the attendant could be taking your time down but I doubt they would take that time since they don't get paid by advantage. Vic is correct, you can take pics to confirm there were no problems but I never did that and never had any problems returning the car there.

As for picking up the car at the airport rental facility, it is hit or miss. Sometimes there is nobody in line and you get processed quickly, other times there is a line (not long, maybe 7 or 8 people) so it will take longer.

A word of warning, if your rental bill comes out differently from what you were quoted, go through it with a fine tooth comb, usually you will find that they added an extra charge such as "daily lock out" charge to your bill. Just tell them that you decline the extra charges and they will remove it. Do not listen to their excuses as they will try to give you a story as to why the amount was higher, usually to distract you into taking the unnecessary service. Don't fall for it!!! Now this doesn't happen all the time with many of the agencies but it does occur once and a while so check your bill to make sure you only pay what you were quoted.

BTW, it gets busy at the Hoover Dam so usually by 11 the parking lot to get to the bypass bridge is usually filled up and you my have a hard time finding free parking at the dam.

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had any problems but a cow-orker once said he saw the Advantage line halfway across the lobby.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.