1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A320 Airbus

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And another one bites the dust. This time a German carrier in the French Alps.

Is this the worst aircraft since the DC-10?

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the time it took me to get a cup of coffee, I just answered my own question.

Converted DC-10's are used by the U.S. Air Force as mid-air refueling platforms. B-52's, which in some cases are more than 60 years old, are still the main bomber platform. Still plenty of KC-135's, converted Boeing 707's, in service. The list goes on and on.

They are still flying with immaculate safety records because they are maintained by the outstanding young men and women of the U.S. Air Force. There is dedication and yes, love, involved here.

God Bless America and the United States Air Force!

3. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a fan at all of Airbus but they are pretty safe statistically. There's over 6100 planes in service today in the A320 program. Keep in mind that if you look up stats on an A320, that they number their planes differently than Boeing. The A320 family consists of A318 ,A319 ,A320, etc. Boeing sticks with one number and then a dash number. 737-700, 737-800.

I'd still much rather fly on Boeing though, I might be a bit biased since I work for them though. ;)

Feel sorry for those families in Spain and Germany. Plane was carrying 20 high school kids back home from a student exchange program. :(

4. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely prefer the 737 to the A-320. But I'm flying out and back on A-320s to Vegas Thursday and Saturday, so I prefer not to think about this crash. Horrible event.

5. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since we dont know anything about what caused the crash, it's a little early to start blaming the plane, as opposed to maint, pilot error, cargo, terror, etc.

6. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The vast majority of the miles I have flown have been on the A320, I have no concerns about boarding another one.

7. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes. My brother is a pilot of the Airbus for AA - not sure which type of Airbus...I'm not too schooled on these things. But it's pretty scary!

40th Birthday Bash!
  8. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't mean to be alarmist in my earlier post ... the crash rate for the 320 is 0.14 per million takeoffs. That's outstanding.

9. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reading now that this plane was built in 1990. That's a ton of cycles on a plane that is mainly for short haul routes.

10. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The venerable DC-10 has been a very valuable tool in fighting wildfires as well.

[video=youtube;JaUDs48h2ns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaUDs48h2ns[/video]

11. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, it's just a very popular plane so it's going to appear to have more accidents with so many flying.

12. scc31

scc31 Low-Roller

I am not an aviation expert nor do I fly often. (actually, I'm afraid of flying... and thank goodness my flights to Vegas is only 1.5hours and usually 95% chance of great weather SFO->LV) But I am the type of person who likes to resaech on flights statistics and on why/how past planes have gone down. As for hull losses that includes lost of life, A320 has been statistically sound ever since it became a major option for commercial airliners. There's many variables the comes into play for major airplane losses like pilot error, mechanical error, and weather being the big 3. As for the different types of aircrafts to fly on I think they're all dependable and the only real difference between them for airliners are the costs of maintenance and fuel burned and how many passengers it can hold (it's all business as long as it can fly safely from point A to point B).

FYI: Just the past year alone in 2014 the major accidents were:

March 8 – Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, a Boeing 777 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 227 passengers and 12 crew on board, disappears from radar over the Gulf of Thailand. Has still not been found.

July 17 – Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, a Boeing 777 en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, is shot down over eastern Ukraine, killing all 283 passengers and 15 crew on board in the deadliest civilian airliner shootdown incident.

.July 24 – Air Algérie Flight 5017, a chartered Swiftair McDonnell Douglas MD-83 operating for Air Algérie en route from Burkina Faso to Algiers, crashes in the northern Mali desert after disappearing from radar approximately 50 minutes after takeoff, killing all 110 passengers and 6 crew members on board.

December 28 – Indonesia AirAsia Flight 8501, an Airbus A320 en route from Surabaya, Indonesia to Singapore, crashes into waters off Borneo, killing all 155 passengers and 7 crew on board.

Unfortunately, there's just no way to predict when a plane will go down... just hope the pilots are good enough to put you on the ground safely with minimum harm and is in a location to do (ie: not a mountain). I would definitely fly on A Boeing internationally but if I was say going on 1-2hour flight, I'm happy enough to fly on an A320.

13. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airbus has taken a lot of flack for their computers controlling to many of the pilots actions.
    In fact a directive was recently issued for the A320's. Last year a plane climbed to cruising altitude just fine (38,000 feet) but when they leveled out the sensors that measure the planes angle were frozen in place. The computer knew their altitude and took over and rolled the nose over into a dive, thinking it was leveling the plane out. Pulling back on the stick did nothing, the computer had complete control. Pilot ended up having to unplug a computer before he could regain control of the plane again.
    Today was a very direct descent. Speculation is that this same problem happened again.
    Another problem thats popped up due to their computer's taking control was a flight had a problem, think it was Capt Scully that ditched his Airbus plane into the Hudson river, pilot applied more throttle and the computer thought that he shouldn't do that and so there was no response to his actions. Boeing's official response when asked about their planes was "we let our pilots be pilots" LOL

14. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly... Boeing is my choice (for the same reason as you).

15. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will and do regularly fly both Boeing and Airbus (locally and internationally). Don't care which and never had a problem worth reporting.

Sure, you could worry about a computer having control of the plane, but you're probably better off worrying about a human having control of the plane. You're much more likely to get a mistake from the latter.

16. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the most disturbing part of this crash is the crew reported nothing to anyone on the ground before it crashed. WHY ? ? ?

17. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They probably didn't expect to actually crash and were trying to stop the plane plummeting? I'd rather my pilot was working a problem than talking to people at that point :)

18. CALELLA

CALELLA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heard a report saying that it might be the windscreen blown in which rendered the pilots incapacitated but not sure of the accuracy of this though.

19. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why they wear head sets AND have a co-pilot in that cockpit. Sometimes ground crew can actually be a assistance in these emergencies.

20. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They had declared an emergency and were trying to get to Grenoble. I have no facts so this is pure speculation, but as stated, the Airbus computer has been known to override pilot input.

They will have the flight recorder data, input the data into the simulator, and we will get the answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.