1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A Tribute to My Boy Buster

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by breanna61, Jun 5, 2016.

1. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Image1465186827.058837.jpg Image1465186842.481420.jpg Image1465186880.575936.jpg Image1465186900.710919.jpg Image1465186920.743701.jpg Image1465186943.379973.jpg Image1465186987.148121.jpg

I've been slow about getting our vow renewal trip report up but I will get it up this week, I promise. You see, exactly one week before we left for Vegas, we lost our boy Buster very suddenly. He turned 10 on St. Patrick's Day. We almost lost him last September when he became very ill with liver disease but thankfully we got that controlled with meds. On Mother's Day, cancer reared it's ugly head in a big way, bone cancer, and we just could not put him through anything more.

It wasn't real when we left, it happened so quickly, and we are thankful for a happy diversion and celebration with friends and we enjoyed every minute. Since returning, it is very real. I started to write a trip report a few days ago....but went here instead.

My BBoy,

3 weeks and 3 days or 3 years and 3 months. It won't change my sweetest boy; there will always be a deep void in my everyday world because you are no longer here but there will never be a void in my heart because you have filled it so completely.

You have filled it with a love, devotion, joy and loyalty I didn't know or couldn't believe existed until you taught me.

You were special and we knew it right from that first day.

We decided to become pup parents to a Labradoodle. We wanted a boy. The "breeder" brought out somewhere around 10 males. I zero'd in on the least likely shedder based on his coat and picked him up. Well, you were having none of that.....you wiggled your way in there effectively getting rid of the pup I held. You snuggled on my lap and and laid some world class smooches on Daddy. Every time another pup approached, you shoo'd them off, snuggled me and kissed Daddy. The deal was sealed. You chose us and we are the luckiest people ever because you did. We high-tailed it out of there before I took a few kids with me too. It was a Mennonite "breeder" and the young children with old soul eyes were breaking my heart. It wasn't until the ride home when checking the paperwork that we realized you were only a little over 6 weeks old....too soon to be weaned but no way you were going back. I am thankful that on that day we weren't better educated. Thank you for picking me to be your Mommy.

Your love affair with grass began on the drive home and never ended. We soon realized the "breeder" was only a step above a puppy mill and you'd probably never stepped on grass until the ride home. Oh how you loved it. It translated into a potty trained pup from day 1. You learned right away grass was for potty. You were brilliant right from the start. You were such a good boy!

You taught me to tell your Daddy his memory was faulty ever so subtly. You were born on St.Patrick's Day we learned on the drive home. We toyed with some Irish names, Reilly was the likely choice. We had a long drive. First you pooped on me. Next you puked on me. I said "Hey Buster, enough of that" then said......"perfect name, Buster". Your Daddy tells it differently but you were there BBoy; I was there, we know the truth. You'd always back me up; you were such a good boy!

You taught me joy. Just watching you love and appreciate the simplest things always lifted my spirit. It was impossible to be in a bad mood in your presence for long; you'd immediately lift it. "You know what you need Mommy? A good walkie". You were right. Watching that prancey butt as we'd start our walk, seeing the world through your eyes....bad mood? Gone! You could always "Ninja mind trick" your Daddy into a walkie. Did I tell you enough? Did I show you enough? You were such a good boy!

You taught me to love and appreciate so many simple things I never noticed until there was you. True, I can't appreciate them all the way you did because a 55-yr old woman rolling around on a really lush lawn seems to be frowned upon, but trust me BBoy, I'd do it Buster style if a competency hearing wouldn't be involved. To those of you who had a lawn my Buster enjoyed, kudos! He loved a well manicured lawn. Buster, you were such a good boy!

You taught me the comfort of always having your best friend nearby. I never had to shower or pee alone from the day we became family. You always innately had the decency to let us alone to do "the paperwork". You were such a good boy!

You taught me there are no strangers, only friends I haven't met yet. Everyone was your friend. In Barrie, some neighbours took to calling you The Mayor of Ruffet. I remember going to a walk-in clinic in Barrie and a lady came up to me and asked "are you Buster's Mom?". That made me smile....and proud because you were just the friendliest guy, my boy. Buster, you were such a good boy!

You taught me patience. You rolled with whatever life tossed your way. During your long recovery after your TPLO surgery, your whole world changed but you just went with it and every new freedom along that journey brought you joy. I am so thankful I had retired so we could take that journey together. I look out the window now to the bench in the park where we sat for so many hours during that time and I feel comforted by it. Did I tell you enough, did I show you enough? Did you know how loved you were? You were such a good boy!

You taught me compassion. During times of true sorrow or illness, you would never leave my side. We held hands. Your head in my lap, your paw in my hand, you'd sigh deeply as though my pain had become your own. At those times, my tears would fall on your sweet head and I wasn't alone. I had you and you had me. Thank you for all the times you comforted me. Did I show you enough how truly blessed I was to have you? You were such a good boy!

You taught me to live in the moment. You held no grudges, no ill will.....every moment was a new beginning. Did you know how lucky I was to have you as my boy? Did I show you enough? You were such a good boy!

You taught me unconditional love. I don't know if we mere mortals can ever achieve it among ourselves......but I know what it looks like and feels like because of you; everything about you was love. You were such a good boy!

You taught me to be brave. You had soldiered on for us so it seemed to happen so quickly. Every selfish part of me wanted to keep you here. Mother's Day and I had to let you go my sweetest boy. It plays over and over again in my mind. You were brave, so brave, your head in my lap, your paw in my hand. You never left my side and I would never leave yours. Even then, it felt like you were trying to comfort me. You went so peacefully; it still doesn't seem real. Your face, that sweet beautiful face......you looked like a puppy again. You were such a good boy!

You taught me that grief is the price of love but it is a price worth paying. I wouldn't trade a minute with you to not feel that now. For every tear shed, you brought a thousand smiles. You were joy, joy! And oh, you were such a good boy!

Thank you for picking me to be your Mommy. We will be reunited at the Rainbow Bridge. You were such a good boy!

Mommy loves!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to be one of the first to say that this was the most beautiful tribute to a loved pet that I have read so far. It sums up everything about the unconditional love of a pet dog.

I'm happy that your love for your pet has helped you grieve now that he's gone. It's because of that love that you are able to move on.

Thanks for that beautiful tribute. It brings back fond memories of my doggie, now gone for 7 years but I still miss and think of him.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you Electroguy....I think only those of us who have been lucky enough to have experienced that unconditional love can understand the loss. 7 years or 7 days.....you'll meet again! Hugs!

4. NYNJMINC

NYNJMINC Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not good to make me cry first thing in the morning. I am hoping that when my time comes all my special dogs will be waiting to greet me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Losing a pet is awful. Sorry. :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. Niteshade

Niteshade Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I shouldn't have read this at work. Now my mascara is all runny.
    I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. What a lovely tribute.
    Thank you for sharing with us and again - I am so sorry he is gone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breanna,
    Thank you for posting your tribute to Buster. It is so hard to lose our fur babies. I am so sorry for your loss.

Rest In Peace, Buster

• Like Like x 1
  8. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

Oh Breanna, I'm so sorry for your loss. Only those of us who have been owned by a dog can fully understand the grief that comes with losing them. What a beautiful tribute to man's best friend. You gave him the best life possible and he, in turn, gave you all his love and devotion. He'll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Nancy and Jeff

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. eisen7979

eisen7979 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sorry for your loss. We lost our dog, Dante in February and reading your tribute really hit home. Thanks for sharing. RIP Buster

• Like Like x 1
  10. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sorry to hear you lost your Dante eisen. RIP Dante :(

11. northerngirl

northerngirl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to finish reading this beautiful tribute to Buster when I got home from work. Omg....absolutely beautiful and I know all of us "parents" of fur babies fully get this..probably why it tugged at my heart strings so fiercely.

I was sure thinking of you and George in Vegas so soon after Buster's passing. I thought the timing of being with all your close friends in one of our favorite cities, would be a little medicine to help soften the loss.

What an awesome ten years of memories. Hugs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breanna, I am so sorry for the loss of your baby. What a beautiful tribute you've written. Losing an animal is very hard. After having to put down 3 animals I made the decision that I just can't do it anymore. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pleasemum

pleasemum Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So sorry to hear of you losing your beloved pet Buster. Lovely Tribute Breanna.

• Like Like x 1
  14. queentata

queentata High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my. What a beautiful tribute. I am so very sorry for your loss.

15. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breanna,
    What a loving, touching tribute. How lucky that Buster chose you!
    And, yes, I'm sure Buster knows how loved he was and always will be.

• Like Like x 1
  16. joehypnosis

joehypnosis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breanna:
    If you are interested, "The Grief Recovery Method for Pet Loss" by Russell Friedman and John James, the founders of the Grief Recovery Institute is on Amazon. By expressing your thanks to Buster, you've already naturally started the process of healing as outlined in the book. The GR process applies to losses of any kind, be they human, pet, or situational (moving, job losses, etc.). If you are interested.....
    Take care,
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  17. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about this, Breanna. This was a loving tribute, and the way you wrote it really stood out. Our family lost our last dog on Thanksgiving 1997 (US ;)) during dinner. Mom was planning to put her down over the weekend (she hadn't looked very good for a few days), but God intervened first. :(

I am hoping to read a great vow renewal trip after this!

• Like Like x 1
  18. MGinCO

MGinCO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for your loss of your beloved pet, Bre.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bre, I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your special Buster. That's a wonderful story of how such a gentle boy assertively chose you. You both were perfect for each other. Hugs, Julie.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JJLV

JJLV Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breanna,
    So sorry for your loss. What a cutie he was. Such a grand memorial and remembrance you wrote and great photos of him you shared! If you are on Facebook there are a few really great pet loss places. They so get it and helped me quite a bit in my loss of my almost 20 year old best (friend) cat in the world that passed a year ago 6/12. It still hurts but know it gets better as all sorrow does with time. He was with me through a lot of my life. The good times and got me through many bad times. I just had a few good cries this weekend over his one year anniversary. My eyes just swelled again with you. It is very difficult indeed. My avatar is my new guy I got in October. I just could not stand the quiet any longer. He is good boy indeed (quite playful as you can see.) Just not quite my baby like my other was. Thoughts with you.

• Like Like x 1