1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A question for the golfers out there ... shoes

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I'm kicking around an article here about golf shoes. Since I write better when I procrastinate, I thought I'd kill that needed time by seeing what kicks everyone's sporting.

What type of golf shoes do you wear? Cleated or not? Are they rather traditional or more athletic? Do they have a lot of support and padding or are you on the minimalism bandwagon?

2. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just your basic Footjoy saddle shoe cleated traditional style ,nothing too expensive or exotic.. Played today for the first time in three weeks,beautiful fall day here in the Soprano State.

3. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ware two pairs... DNA BOA and Adidas adizero one .... Refuse to ware spikeless shoes. I always slip in them. I believe you have to also like the look of your equipment. I like the look of both shoes but the DNA's are MUCH more comfortable. I ware them 85% of the time depending what climate/city im playing in. Don't like the factory spikes though. They are so big and seem to really leave big indentations on the greens in the early mornings. Otherwise I would rate the DNAs at a solid 9.25 and the Adidas at an7.5+... haven't found a shoe that is a 10. Hope that helps..

4. fas87

fas87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Adidas adicross. Most comfortable shoe that I've had. Their style may be more athletic than I might hope for, but I kind of dig the retro rundmc style.

5. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ms5aqhPYxDAsvgxfElEt_BQ.jpg

About nine months out of the year.

When it's cold, an athletic type, with soft spikes.

6. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Adidas 360s. About 3 years old, and I play about 50 times a year. Still the most comfortable shoe, golf or not, that I own.

I've worn nike before....been paid to wear nike in fact, simply not worth it. Their golf shoes suck!

7. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well Ken, my walking rounds (which are rare) I put on my New Balance 860 V3 running shoe. These are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn so one day I tried them out on a quick 9 hole round and now use them exclusively when I walk the course. On the majority of my golf rounds, I ride the cart and I use my Nike cross trainer Air Monarch which are very comfortable. As you can tell by now comfort is primary and to tell you the truth, my scores are not any better using my Ecco's. My swing speed is so slow now, golf shoes are way down on my how to improve my game list, clubs are on top..... Always trying to buy a swing. Lol

8. M_ILIS

M_ILIS High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My current shoes are a lightweight pair of Adizero that are super comfortable. I almost bought one of those spikeless pairs that almost look like Vans, but for now I still prefer a little more traditional look for my golf shoes.

9. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plastic spiked Footjoys. (I miss the sound of metal spikes on concrete. Really do.)

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  10. ken2v

I haven't worn cleats in three years, I'd guess. I wear TRUE Linkswear almost exclusively and have two pairs of the no-longer-made adidas Puremotion. But even the Puremotions feel too built up and stiff after the TRUEs. Funny thing, I had two pairs of essentially NIB ECCO cleaters that I gave to the First Tee since I just can't hang with cleats anymore.

I often travel only with a pair of TRUEs on my feet and slippahs for backup. I'm a real believer in minimalism and cleatless, and though a big guy with a violent swing, I honestly can report I slip no more or less in cleatless than I ever did with cleats.

11. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do slip (When its wet) with my left toe as I swing through with spikeless. By the way, Eccos are the most comfortable shoes but just not for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I do slip (When its wet) with my left toe as I swing through with spikeless. By the way, Eccos are the most comfortable shoes but just not for me.

12. ken2v

And that is as it should be.

There is no "most" or "best" that applies beyond what works for each of us individually. And that's true in golf, beer, cars, everything.

I find many cleated products to slip simply because of a limited number of connection points, and particularly with those shoes that have a lot of heel lift and an overly thick midsole and sole. I've not tried it yet but the new 360 from adidas addresses that with a new cleat pattern, more flexibility and a lower profile.

I've found, for me, that broad, flexible, light, low, no-lift cleatless shoes give me a far better sensation of groundedness, contact. (And then there is the matter of my feet being just more comfortable and happier.)

But at the end of the day, there is no across-the-board empirical test for adhesion. I just walked a super wet, super hilly course and didn't slip once. Would cleaters have been even better, worse? That's one of those counterfactuals that never can be proven.

It's all personal.

(However, a major company shared with me proprietary data that showed within its shoe line, regardless cleated or not, being in ill-fitting shoes was the #1 cause of swing-speed leakage, and, a wowser, power loss was greater with ill-fitted cleaters than ill-fitted cleatless.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  13. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I live in SoCal it's my Ecco Biom's most of the time. For wet or cold long pants rounds I have an older pair of Foot Joy Tour Dry Joys.
    I also thought I'd slip in spikeless athletic style shoes but I don't.
    I will even play in Reef floppers straight from the beach in Hawaii. After all, Snead played the Masters barefoot.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.