1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A Question about Boxing Officiating in Nevada

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by YOleven, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOleven

YOleven Tourist

I have a quick question about officiating of professional boxing. In the Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight, WBA, WBC, and WBO titles were all on the line. Yet, for this fight, and I'm assuming in all other big fights in Vegas, the Nevada Athletic Commission appointed the three judges and referee. Do any of these three boxing organizations ever officiate their own boxing matches, or are matches (or at least those in Nevada) always officiated under the jurisdiction of the Nevada Athletic Commission? If the latter is the case, how did this come about? You'd think that the boxing organizations would be more than capable of providing fair and accurate officiating for their own events.

I realize I'm probably comparing apples to oranges, but to me, it's almost like having the state of Arizona responsible for officiating the Super Bowl this past February, or the state (ok...commonwealth) of Kentucky officiating yesterday's Kentucky Derby. In both of these situations, officiating was handled by each sport's official governing body, so why the disparity for boxing?

2. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually the states do govern horse racing in the states... now I wish there was a national standard for the sport (esp on drug use) but there is not. That is why some trainers suspended in one states can train in another... the NTRA does not govern racing like the NFL does...

Downtown - Wanker Returns after baby!
    Wanker Returns After Baby
  3. simundo26

simundo26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no that nevada althaltic commision decide just like they do in ufc, dana white goes mad that they mess up so many times, like cj ross in the brad pac fight she was either stuipd or being payed.

4. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When fighters or trainers are suspended in one state usually the other states will not issue them a license in there state, usually the only time a state would do it is to bring a big money making event to there state when they are desperate for money. Usually boxers would go to Mexico to fight and trainers would just train there fighters during traing camp but just can't work the fighters corner the night of the fight.

5. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was speaking more of horse racing... but good info

Downtown - Wanker Returns after baby!
    Wanker Returns After Baby
  6. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL my bad I quoted the wrong message in my response!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.