1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A Gastronomical Review (October 14-19)

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by VegasGroove, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Below is a review of a few restaurants where I dined last month (posted on Yelp!). Though not "gourmet", still an enjoyable journey. This was a solo trip, so dining was varied.

DW BISTRO (again!)
    I brunched at DWB this morning, my second time here in a year. This place is so great! I echo my first review in saying the decor is wonderful, the service is excellent and the food is THE TRUTH. Seriously! I had a chance to chat with Bryce again. He's treats you as if you've been friends for years.

On to the food:

Pomegranate Ice Tea - refreshing and delicious, My server (I hate I can't remember his name - sorry!) even gave me a to-go cup which I happily sipped while driving.

Fried Jerk Chicken and Waffles - the chicken, oh the chicken. Chicken breast was moist and fried to perfection. The breading was flour with the jerk seasoning. The waffles were light and airy and crisp around the edges. So good. So-so good.

Breakfast Potatoes - cubed red potatoes with yellow and red peppers and onions. And the spices were just right. They were spicy, but it didn't linger, you know what I mean? Like the potatoes were not spicy just to be spicy, they had flavor.

I told Bryce I had just landed at McCarren and came directly to DWB - he thought that was a hoot, but was appreciative.

I will continue to make DWB part of my trips to Vegas. This place is a hidden gem far away from the strip - and worth it!

NORA'S
    I had lunch today at Nora's. It's been on my foodie list for two years. While Italian food isn't my most favorite cuisine, I do like it. Now? Nora's has made me love it. And if I have anything less in taste than what I had today, I will feel sorely cheated.

For lunch, the menu is quite extensive. I settled on the individual Nora's salad. Field greens with roasted green and red peppers in a lovely and light balsamic vinaigrette. I also ordered the appetizer of Arancini. These are four crisply fried balls of deliciousness. Inside is saffron risotto, peas and mozzarella. The base was a tasty and authentic tomato sauce that was definitely not Ragu-esque. I wish my stomach had more room because I definitely wanted to try another dish.

I will definitely keep Nora's on my Vegas foodie rotation.

OPUS TOO
    Today, I had the fortunate experience to dine at Opus Too. This student-run (supervised by professional chefs/teachers) restaurant is white table cloth and fine dining. For $10.95, you get a solid meal (appetizer, entree and dessert).

The room is small, but appointed nicely. There are about 10 tables with a raised step area that has a piano. I was the first customer and was seated right at the window to the kitchen where the food is prepared. My server was Trey, a personable and charismatic gentleman who will do well in the culinary world once he graduates. All the students were trained well in fine dining and service.

For my meal, I chose the Braised Beef Empanada (appetizer). It was so delicious. The beef was flavorful and tender, encased in a flaky pastry turnover. I could have had two more of those! The sauce accompanying was a cilantro pesto. Oh my. I asked Trey if the chef would give me the recipe for it because it was excellent. It had a bit of a kick to it, but did not overpower. For the entree, I chose the Chicken Mole. I have never tried mole sauce before and it took me awhile to "get it". It, too, was delicious. The chicken breast was moist and fork tender. With it, came beans and rice. Finally, I chose the Tres Leches Cake for dessert. Again, a new item for me. I enjoyed it, especially the caramel topping. For a drink, I chose the Black Currant Ice Tea - refreshing and tasty.

My bill came to $15.44, but I left $25.00. This meal in a restaurant would have easily cost much more. Any tip you leave is forwarded to the scholarship fund of the Art Institute of LV.

I'm glad I made the reservation. I will be back.

I also saw Carrot Top this trip. I read and heard many positive things about his show and I wanted comedy this time. I am SO glad I went. CT is funny and those site gags are hilarious! So cleverly put together. He's a funny guy, but he also seems very grateful and appreciative that he has alot of fans and he is able to make a successful living at what he does. He does the Crown Royal shots with folks in the audience, which I read about also.

I had a great trip last month!

Thanks for reading.

2. booker

booker High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like fun! Thanks.

3. Chocoholic

Chocoholic Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had no idea about Opus too. Will try to check it out. Thanks for the report!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.