1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A Gaggles New Orleans TR: With a Sprinkle of Live Updates

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by Gaggles, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Good morning my fellow in denial gamblers. You are live with Gaggles...from work..not New Orleans. But that will change in just over 48 hours. In fact, about 52 hours.

This departure cannot come too soon either. Us lucky Southern Albertan's started dinner last night with no snow. When I woke up for work this morning I literally had to shovel my way out of the driveway and clear a path to the street so my fancy little sports car wouldn't get stuck. Oddly enough, my room mate and his Hummer did not have an issue getting out of the house or the street we live on! On the way to work there were cars in ditches everywhere. And as of this writing I am not even sure if I will manage to get out of the parking lot at work by the end of today as it is still snowing. Current temp here is -2C or for my American brothers and sisters 28 degrees. And to be honest that is not even a cold day up here for winter/fall.

I could not help but notice the temp in New Orleans when we land will be 28C or 82 degrees. That sounds like a good start.

Got a good deal through CET at the Marriot a few months back. Four nights at Marriot in French Quarter for just about $280. Couldn't get it comped though at any CET prop or affiliated prop. In fact, when I called on the phone to speak to a host they said I should grab that rate. As it turns out that was not a terrible call. The rates on Expedia and their own web site have the same room going for $800-$1000 the last few months so in my mind, I am up $500 already.

This trip is BNK's bday present. She has never been to New Orleans and we are both looking forward to it.

As fate would have it a friend of mine now living in Dallas called me yesterday. He actually lived in NO for 10 years and was giving me all kinds of ideas for restaurants which I am giving strong consideration to.

There are no concrete plans for any activities as we are flying blind. There will be drinking and there will likely be gambling at Harrah's to start each night. We will be blatantly abusing our Diamond Lounge privileges. There will be an invasion of Bourbon St each night and likely The French Quarter during the day. I have pre-arranged one day time poker session while BNK shops as I simply can't go all the way down there without some cards for one day anyways!

I do know for certain that our first meal shall be at Drago's for the char broiled oysters and at some point I was urged to hit Mike Anderson's Sea Food at all costs by my friend. He also suggested K-Paul's. I loathe too much structure on my holidays so let's just see what happens.

We are taking costumes and are looking hard at the Vampire Ball at the House of Blues on Saturday. I don't suppose anyone has any info on that?

it is my intention to provide some brief, live updates and to ship a pic of a $1 progressive Royal to Beejay for all of you to see.

We shall talk again soon.

2. texdan17

texdan17 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We love NOLA. If you are staying at the Marriott on Canal, it is at the end of Bourbon St...great location for slinking your way back to the hotel. Make sure you enjoy a Hand Grenade or two...Pat O'Brien's makes the crappiest drinks ever, but if you drink your way down the menu like we did, you can't tell! Just make sure to return your glassware to the bar to get your refund, if not you just paid for a ton of souvenir glasses!

Drago's is solid. We definitely go there every time. We also enjoy Emeril's NOLA Restaurant in the French Quarter.

Fair warning, a cold front is coming through this weekend (Friday through Houston so probably Sat for NOLA...we're expected to go from highs in the high 80s/90s to highs in the high 50s/60s), so pack accordingly.

Enjoy!

3. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Marriott is nice!

Best new restaurant (IMHO): Grand Isle on Fulton Street. One block from Harrah's.

Best cheap food with atmosphere: Cafe Maspero. Close to Jackson Square. Doors & windows usually open...pidgeons walking beside tables. Captures the spirit of N.O.

Best bars: Go for the little hole-in-the-wall places -- lots of local atmosphere. Or the courtyard at the Napoleon House -- a little more upscale, but still "charming".

I envy you!!

4. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Ya I saw that the forecast had just changed. That kinda sucks but compared to what's happening in my part of the country that weather is gonna feel like Jamaica.

Thanks for the eating and drinking suggestions. Trust me when I say all are under consideration.

5. Zera

Zera Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lived in Calgary for 25 years up until last year. Been seeing pics of the snow from friends and family back that way on Facebook today.

6. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out the Ruby Slipper Cafe for breakfast/brunch and Cafe Adelaide's anytime but especially for lunch with 25 cent martinis. And make your way down to the French Market. Cafe Du Monde is on the way!

7. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beignets at Cafe Du Monde was a given!

8. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was my suggestion - If I go back to New Orleans for NOTHING else it will be to go to Cafe du Monde!!!

I want to find the palmreader in the square again also. She definitely was the real thing (I went in totally pessimistic). However after 11 years she has probably moved on.

9. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Restaurant August - for French food with a southern accent.

10. bighead1970

bighead1970 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make sure BNK earns her beads on Bourbon Street.

11. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So how was the trip?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.