1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A few scattered thoughts on our two-desert trip

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by ken2v, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

My Trip Report

We got back late in the afternoon yesterday, charting an interesting route to which road-warrioring native Californians can relate, even if not to the exact sequence: 15-58-223-166-101-1. It just shows how diverse and special is our state, from desert to the edge of the tallest mountain in the Lower 48; pine to oak-shrouded hills to Pacific shore. Plus a long stretch through the most productive and diverse ag land in the nation. About the only thing missing going this way is the low desert, redwood rainforest and the basin grasslands beyond the Cascades. And we missed So Cal ... on purpose.

Wednesday round at the ANA Inspiration (at Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage) simply reinforced the respect I have for the LPGA Tour and its players. Except for a few gamers out there, every guy on this board who plays golf would improve by emulating these women. One of our pairings was Ai Miyazato and she is a charmer. (We finished upper-mid in the pro-am pack.)

The Strip is grungy. The construction, the buskers, the sewage stench that previously seemed to be the domain of Caesars and Imperial Palace, the homeless; it's grungy out there. And the next property that pushes out toward the street's edge with yet more cookie-cutter eats and yard-drink stands will simply be the most recent one-too-many of that ilk.

Aria is still stunning.

Friday was outfit-by-Kleenex night at Hakkasan, apparently, judging by the high-heeled masses queued up to get in. Pathetic was the pervy dudes taking cell phone videos of the ladies in line.

We had some really good Pinot -- Zotovich and Foley -- a killer right bank Bordeaux and a Cab that makes some of Napa's wine cultdom make sense.

Good beer is abounding. You obviously pay six-pack pricing for a pint but most anywhere you turn you can get something other than Coors Lite or a Miller tallboy.

The drive from the Coachella Valley through the heart of the Mojave ranks up with the best drives of the region. And the deductible for a new windshield is only a single Ben!

Much speed, no tickets is a good thing.

Dinner at the Mansion ... that sums it up. A second go at Craftsteak in the past four months was a second success and has now negated my initial reactions to the joint some time back the first time through.

Even on "down" weekends MGM Grand still roils and boils with humanity. That place just never quits. :thumbsup:

Golf played poorly at Shadow Creek is still good stuff. Another round played more like golf is even better. But Shadow isn't really about golf. It is the experience. And Mr. __ and Mr. __ get props for the breakfast burrito suggestion and Rhonda makes the best margarita this side of our kitchen.

What happened to the outlet in Primm? Primm still looks "same trailer, different park" but the mall was muy bootstrapped since the last visit however many years ago.

Hanging out up there with VMB friends really brings it together. (Sorry we missed the Saturday meet.)

2. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wednesday round at the ANA Inspiration (at Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage) simply reinforced the respect I have for the LPGA Tour and its players. Except for a few gamers out there, every guy on this board who plays golf would improve by emulating these women. One of our pairings was Ai Miyazato and she is a charmer. (We finished upper-mid in the pro-am pack.)

Totally agree, those ladies can play!!! My fav Paula Creamer must have gassed cuz I didn't see her for the weekend.

3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The wine was great. The company was great. Shadow was great even though you and I did not post great scores. Shifter had a great score the first day playing from the tips (7500 + yds) Boy, we really donked up the par 5's. each of the par 3's had good birdie looks, although my putting was another sore spot. Looking forward to the next foray....................

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heyyyyyyyy... I resemble that remark!

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry... double post

6. natedog666

natedog666 17 and 20 Expert

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes great meeting you guys will certainly want to play some golf with you guys too!

7. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good food, good wine and good golf.....sounds like a good time was had by all!

8. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nate, enjoyed meeting and playing with you as well! That was some monster craps roll!

9. ken2v

That would be bueno, nate. But unlike shifter, what we sometimes play really isn't golf. We do have fun, however!

10. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never done the Cochella to Vegas backroads run.
    Really have to work one of those in.
    I like to emulate the LPGA ladies since they only out hit me by a couple clubs.

11. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken,

Is tournament week at the ANA Inspiration (nee The Dinah Shore) still known as Lesbian Spring Break?

12. ken2v

The Coachella Valley is GLBT-embracing all year, not just during White Party or the Dinah Shore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.