1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A dismal Westgate buffet

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by prodaddy, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prodaddy

prodaddy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While not a buffet expert by any means, and certainly not a foodie....I felt a comment was warranted regarding our recent experience at the Westgate buffet.

A two for 1 coupon was made available upon check in and a quick decision was made to wander down for the dinner buffet at approx 630 pm. Not since the Sahara have I witnessed such a debacle. And at 25 per person? A rip off as well.

Servers were great. Food was old, canned, dry, and bland. I was shocked. Stations were messy, desserts sparse and low grade. The 'carving station' had a sad looking beef roast coupled with a bone dry salmon. Nothing was good.....and like I stated, no foodie here but come on!

This resort seemed to be lacking in tasty, reasonably priced food choices....especially after 10pm.

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten at Sahara, it was bad. Sorry to hear you forked out $25 for a bad buffet.

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  3. marcianofan

marcianofan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate there a few months ago and your description is spot on, it was horrible. I was waiting in line with my daughter and a guy came by and gave us two free passes and even free it was terrible. And dinner was 25 bucks like you said, what a rip off....

4. aaisack

aaisack High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ouch... A Sahara buffet comparison is the biggest insult I can imagine. Seriously, I will eat almost anything, but I walked out of that buffet after 5 minutes. Nothing on my plate was even remotely edible.

First time staying at the Flamingo
  5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you should have just gotten some of the yella.

[​IMG]

6. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

That is a good comparative, as both the Sahara and Westgate buffets have a certain similarity when is comes to being behind the times. Forty years ago, their offerings would have been quite acceptable - not today.

7. eksantirik

eksantirik Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you think food 40 years ago was worse? I kind of think the opposite. I wasn't alive 40 years ago, but highly probably, there was no MSG, no GMO, no artificial bullshit. Corn was corn, while cows were fed real food. And the bread only included flour, salt, yeast and water; unlike today's bread having 40 ingredients.

8. bromad1972

bromad1972 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MSG is over one hundred years old and GMO's have existed since man invented agriculture. So food 40 years ago was probably about as bad as now.

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The buffets I remember from years ago ('70s '80s) were quite different. First of all they were VERY cheap. The food was, well, think of your high school cafeteria back then but without 1500 kids yelling and throwing things. Very starchy, staples like fried chicken, meatloaf (Meat Loaf Again!) mashed potatoes, green beans, mystery meat patties in something sauce (Gaines-Burgers?) :) often a pasta dish, noodle dish, etc. Very comfort-food-ish.

The first buffets I remember did not have a carving station. The first carving cart I remember was probably the Stardust buffet. No egg station for breakfast either. It was steamtable scrambled eggs or nothing. Hmmmm ... I seem to remember cold cuts on the lunch buffet at one place downtown. Seafood selection? Try Mrs. Paul's Catch Of The Day if you were lucky, or breaded fried shrimp or fish sticks.

Did I mention they were cheap? :) That was what made them special! :)

10. smerrian

smerrian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

I didn't say food was worse forty years ago. My point was that buffets are far superior today than 40 years ago in terms of food items offered.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.