1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

8 News Now on Roku

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by ClownHo, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a longtime non-cable subscriber, I'm finding a lot of good stuff to watch via my $8/month Netflix subscription and a new Roku I received for Xmas. One of the fun perks of Roku is all the silly, annoying and/or fabulous free channels you get. One of the channels is the 8 News Now channel. They give you a variety of news segments to watch, such as the opening 7 minutes of a daily newscast, as well as the weather and sports segments, and they also pull out individual news stories for streaming, such as the one I'm streaming right now, about the loss of zoos in the Vegas area. I'm sure all of this is available through their website, but I tire of trying to stream video on ye olde laptop computer. It streams quite nicely via Roku. I love it.

2. lithium78

lithium78 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cut the cable cord about four years ago in favor of a Roku and I've never looked back. I don't miss anything about having cable, especially the ridiculous prices. There's a lot of great free programming available and if I want to watch local broadcasts that aren't available over Roku, I just use an over-the-air antenna. It's a great way to save money for gambling! :p

3. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been without cable for years as well, Roku is just a bonus, or a time suck, depending upon how you look at it. Middle of the winter in the midwest: Roku is my new friend. And Roku is the last step before cable as everyone has known it disappears.

4. skybank

skybank Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Put "livestream" on your Roku and they often stream the Las Vegas ABC channel (13?) live. Mostly it's the news but that's great because you always get shots of Vegas! It's also shown in HD so the quality is much better than the channel 8 stream.

It's in the channel store by the way.

5. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the tip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.