1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

8 days with the lions

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by prmet, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prmet

prmet Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Ok, lets try this.
    Vegas, MGM Grand, Saturday to Saturday, March 27 to April 6, Me and wife, kids stayed home. Where is home? Puerto Rico, so is like 8 hours flying time stopping at Dallas Ft. Worth. :snore: We arrived after 4:00 pm and went to the airport check in... super fast, no one in line, :biker: no $20 sandwich and no upgrade of course but... the only king bed room was on the West Wing. :confused2: Oh, oh, after all the reading here I wasn't looking for it, but Im not gonna start bad the trip and take it. Then what? Third floor with the view of a wall! :bang: Ouch! And that dark and ugly hallway. The room amenities were good, I did not complain, bed was awesome, very close to the strip. We decided wait till monday for a better chance of a change of room. We ask and BOOM, :woohoo: a 23 floor room with a Strip view. Now this was our room! Great to watch the coaster of NY NY from our bed, and way more space.

We were freezing our bones... and that wind! :eek2 We could not be outside without a jacket. Went just once to the pool and just to look at it. Lots of people there but the river pool was close. Dont know if this was just for a couple hours or days?? This MGM really is massive. Get dissoriented a few times. One day wife forgot her jacket at room, no way we could get back up there and lost like an hour, better to buy one outside, so we did.

Took an tour to Grand Canyon (south rim) and it was great!!! :thumbsup: Super beautiful and with snow wich was a plus because we had never seen snow (puertoricans). Trip stopped at Hoover Dam, we also like it. The bus was comfy too.

Went one night to Downtown to Freemont and we absolutely love it there! Cheaper bets and drinks and people having a great, great time. We were lucky to catch this band... Sin Sity Sinners... they were great and help us manage the cold, we were shivering! Paid the 24 hours pass for the bus and dont know what for cause nobody check in the Ace.

Did a couple of shows all bought from tix4tonight:
    Mystere: Was as good as we expect for a Cirque, but when finish we kept thinking we should had seen Ka or O. Maybe is was we were too damn close to the stage (3rd row).

David Coperfield: The magic was super but he was kinda bored. We were seated at a mini table with other folks and of course we think in spanish to talk in english, but it was ok.

V: The Variety show: Wait in line like an hour but it worth it, The show was great.

Big Elvis: Great, great voice. Good show.

Madame Taussads: Good time. Lots of pics.

Eat at a lot of places, nothing fancy (im picky), Drink some, gamble some, buy a lot. Stop at every hotel we encounter. Walk a ton. And enjoy every minute of it. Already planning for next year. :wave:

2. Thor

Thor Beer Drinker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    glad you had a great trip!!! i was in ceiba, pr many times as a kid in the military. puerto rico was cool!:beer::beer::beer:

3. hkings01

hkings01 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear you had such a great time! I have never stayed at MGM although we have gambled there many of times and the hotel is pretty awesome (and HUGE)!

Your next trip you may want to consider staying Downtown on Fremont, I only suggest that because you said that you loved what time you did spend down there. Fremont is a wonderful time and is much less expensive. When staying downtown you get the advantage of cheaper gambling, cheaper food, closer hotels and yet you still have the option to visit the strip or spend the day but you always return to a much lower key area and less people. I love it downtown! Highly recommend the Golden Nugget! I have heard Main Street Station is great also!

4. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were there for a part of the time you were. It was indeed freezing last Wednesday and windy too... were told that the lazy river opened officially on Friday, April 2nd. We went and one of our party got sick.., ick...

5. Aero

Aero Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a great trip to me. Glad you had a good time. I sooo wanted to see the Sinners on Fremont. I bet that rocked!!!:evillaugh
    I hope to see them @ GVR next trip. Until then, I'll just envy your experience.:nworthy:
    Very cool about the room they found for you.:thumbsup:
    :peace:

6. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting your TR.

later, GVJ

7. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Feb thru early April are windy

Sounds like you had fun, even with the long plane ride.

Late April the wind starts to die down and it heats up.

The Grand Canyon is spectacular. That should be a two day trip for you next time. There is a LOT to see and it is all cool. Stay at the El Tovar right on the South Rim. But go when it is warmer.

Another neat canyon in Arizona is Canyon De 'Shelle (pronounced deshay) on the Navajo Indiad Reservation. Not too many people go there but it is truly an awesome one day event. Not doable from Las Vegas at all.

I look forward to reading your next report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.