1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games 6:5 Blackjack - Rules Variation or Mistake?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by whitefox, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitefox

whitefox Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Guys,

Recent lurker of VMB -- already love this community and looking forward to jumping in and participating!

My wife and I were on a Carnival cruise a few months ago. You can imagine that the only blackjack offered was TERRIBLE. 6:5, H17, CSM, minimum was $10 and $15 depending on the table. Anyway, needed to get my blackjack fix despite the awful rules. (Cue berating)

A few times when a player had a blackjack the dealer offered even money against her dealer A. Even though this happened a few times I just figured it was a dealer mistake and of course wasn't going to say anything.

Later on when a beginner player was offered even money and was unsure to take it or not, the dealer said if the dealer had a blackjack then the player would lose his bet.

I wish I would have asked for clarification if that really was the rule -- the player blackjack loses to the dealer blackjack.

So two things:

1. It doesn't make sense for them to offer even money on a 6:5 table right?
    2. Has anyone heard of a dealer natural beats player natural (instead of pushing) rule variation like that before or were they completely F'ed up on my cruise?

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The dealer made a mistake(s). "Even Money" doesn't exist at 6:5 games. BJ vs. BJ is a PUSH.

"Even Money" exists at 3:2 BJ because when you take maximum insurance on a blackjack you will always come out 1 bet ahead.

Dealer has BJ:
    Insurance wins 1 unit
    BJ pushes
    Net win: 1 unit

Dealer doesn't have BJ:
    Insurance loses 0.5 units
    BJ wins 1.5 units

But if the game is 6:5 then it looks like this:

Dealer has BJ:
    Insurance pays 1 unit
    BJ pushes

BUT

Dealer doesn't have BJ:
    Insurance loses 0.5 units
    BJ wins only 1.2 units
    Net win: 0.7 units

So if you are ever offered "even money" at 6:5 BJ always take it!

3. whitefox

whitefox Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for this detail. I was taking even money because it seemed like I was getting some free insurance built it. Now I know the numbers.

So you think the dealer was simply mistaken about dealer BJ beating player BJ or could that be a rule at that table?

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think it's another mistake. It's definitely not a rule I've ever heard of.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.