1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

40 minute connection in Chicago (ORD)

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by jmsvss, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmsvss

jmsvss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm down to two days and have to fret about something I guess. My original reservation gave us a 55 min connection time in Chicago. We've been thru Chicago before - almost always delayed flights. We will be coming in on a regional jet (can't remember the concourse). I assume we will depart from a different concourse. Am I pressing my luck with only 40 minutes to change planes?

PS Its this Friday so I am assuming most of the Sandy back up will be cleared by then.

2. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To your last part 1st. There maybe some delays because of Sandy still onf Fri. LGA is closed tomorrow.The other major NY airports are supposedly gonna be open. So that may delay things across the country.
    Plus with major weather concerns in PA andi in the midwest, that has to be considered.
    Now for a 40 min layover. To me in that airport that would concern me. ? for ya WHERE are you coming in from. WHERE is your connecting flight coming from?? Answer me those and i may have a better answer for ya.

3. jmsvss

jmsvss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the reply. We are coming from Roanoke, VA on Nov 2 (dep 10:24, arr 11:14) 41 min flight, connecting with UA1287 in ORD (dep 11:55). I tried to see where 1287 originated but the United website is only showing flight info thru Nov 1. Prior flights originated in PHL (Nov 1) or DCA (Oct 30).

4. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well that being said...I think ya are cutting it close. Luckily you are flying into ORD on Friday because today and i do believe tomorrow, they are having heavy winds in the Chicago area ( remnants of Sandy). I might check flight aware .com and or flight stats.com to see the fights you mentioned, what their on time records are. Not to worry you, but just to get a working idea of their flights. I dont what the weather is gonna be on Friday in your area or ORD which can alter things too. Again i dont want to worry ya , but if there is info available, it wouldnt hurt to check it out. FWIW I have NEVER flown into or out of Philly, but have heard in the past from friends flyiing into and out of there their arrival and departures ( which the latter is what you would be concerned about) have been known to be late from time to time , which help you. Final thing the day of the flight when checking via phone or online wouldnt hurt to see how the time frame of the flight coming into ORD is going.

After all this as ya can tell i always tried to keep abreast of things ( ok lets be honest i was psychotic about it:evillaugh:evillaugh ), because esp the 1st few years flying out from HVN and BDL i was always delayed / an or then rerouted etc... Finally the last few years i went to LV ,SWA had directs out of BDL at optimal times, so i used them exclusively and had many of the possible stressors averted. Hope this helps ,and if ya have any more ?'s feel free to fire away.

BEST OF LUCK!! WIN BIIIIIIG, and wirite a great TR!!!:cheers::cheers:

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the airline booked it, you should be fine. If not, they will take care of you. You did not mention if the first leg was UA(or partner), but I assume it is.

And, this week, and general answers or rule of thumb do not count, at all.

6. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. chrisn42

chrisn42 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, winds in the Chicago area have been crazy here the past few days because of Sandy. Lake Michigan had 20-25 foot waves yesterday because of it! They are saying that it's supposed to start getting better tomorrow, so I'm guessing that you will be fine. Also, the 40 minute connection will be tight, but I think that you will be fine.

Is your flight at night? If so, United will be expecting you so they might try to hold the flight for a few minutes if your connection is running late at night. Airlines tend to hold flights for a bit when waiting for connecting passengers when it's the last flight out to a particular city for the night. I've had this happen to me a few times when traveling at night.

8. jmsvss

jmsvss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everybody! The earlier flight I was considering changing to isn't showing up on the United website anymore. My connecting flight is coming out of Philly and the weather is improving.

I think I will put this in the "Can't do anything about it, just go with it box."

You did help put my mind to rest - thanks!

Next fret - don't forget my drink vouchers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.