1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

4 people - one room

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by mosezgo, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mosezgo

mosezgo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to Las Vegas countless times. I recently found an odd thing when trying to book my next trip;

We are traveling with another couple this time. This couple is, let's say, frugal, so my wife and I decided we would get a room, two double beds, to save a little cash.

I have found while booking online, that you can book the exact same room, two queen beds, and the price difference is up to $200 difference, depending if you say 2 people are staying or 4 people are staying in the room.

I'm sure someone here has done what I plan to do: The two boys check in. Then later bring the two ladies up to the room with their luggage. The hotel can't check that right? The only way they would know would be the maid would notice too much luggage in the room.
    Normally I wouldn't care, but the price difference it quite large.

Any comments?

2. mosezgo

mosezgo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should have said, two queen beds, not two double beds.

3. touche22

touche22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're agreeing to sharing a room while away, in Vegas?
    I would just tell your friend this isn't camp.

To your question, you could probably get away with it charge wise but if get caught they will add on the extra ppl.

Let me make sure I'm getting this right: 4 ADULTS IN A ROOM?

Lol. Good luck

4. PokerFaceNJ

PokerFaceNJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't do it!!! Change your mind now or you will probably regret this while on the trip. You can get rooms so cheap now that it does not make sense to do this. If they are that frugal, why even go to Vegas in the first place?

5. reen1962

reen1962 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've run into this before, also. I would go ahead and do it. You may run into not enough towels in the bathroom. You might check that out when you get to the room, not the next morning when everyone is showering.

Good Luck!

It's Been Too Long 'Ol Friend! :-)
  6. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we first started going to Vegas and had a much tighter budget (not much for comps), we had 3-4-5 people to a room. We always booked it for 2, got 4 keys and never had any problems.

7. Franken Dean

Franken Dean Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you sure that they are frugal?

Maybe, they are just swingers trying to cuddle up!

LOL

8. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Ahh....1 King bed then. :)

9. Ringo16

Ringo16 Tourist

I always do this. Usually as a family so the parents check in, then we walk up later.
    I have done it with friends too. Just call in for more towels later.

10. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh and this trip just sounds like a disaster if I were part of it. You are assuming they will be frugal with every aspect of the trip right?

You will be perfectly fine with just saying there are 2 people.

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it possible to downgrade your accommodations and get two modest rooms? There was a recent thread where several Vegas vets described traveling with frugal friends or relatives, you may want to read this with eyes wide open. What else will they be frugal with, meals, gambling, drinks, shows, cabs, tips? One of my biggest pet peeves with a few family members is how cheap they are when it comes to tipping.

I consider myself a frugal traveler, but would never consider bunking up with another couple. But if you pull this off, tip the housekeeping staff for extra towels and shampoo.

Can you write up a travel report when you get back?

12. touche22

touche22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I think you mean "Divorce Report "

13. dglen

dglen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I king bed for the 2 couples, don't forget room requests are not guarantees. I wouldn't like to share a bed with another couple. Unless your schedules are exactly the same and nobody snores it might work, but not for me. I am sure you will spend more on drinks than the cost of another room.

14. mgill1974

mgill1974 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually go to Vegas solo, but my next trip I'll be meeting a friend and his wife. We are staying at NYNY for 3 nights and sharing a room with 2 queen beds. When I booked, I only booked for 2. Obviously, we won't all go check-in together. When I booked, it said $30 extra for each additional person. I don't mind sharing the room, as I'm single, don't plan on hooking up or being in the room except to sleep. I am 40 yrs old and they're about the same age. The only problem I see is if I can't get a room with 2 beds. If so, the bed is mine and they get the floor LOL

15. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to work in a hotel. If they see you with the same couple over and over (thus proving you are with them) they can & will charge you the extra fee.

While many people do it and you can too sharing a room would not be something i would want to do in vegas. The only time i share a room is if i have too (say a funeral that was unexpected and costly).

If they have a fight, if they do something that pisses you off then you are fully stuck with them. I would go for cheaper accommodations before ever doing that. I have thought of it before but i love my privacy. At the end of the day when i just want to reflect with my husband i have no one to worry about.

Now if i was single and sharing with a single friend i would have no problem, because there is no one else for me to worry about.

There is some good advice in this thread, and a few recent trip reports with frugal or non gambling people. Last thing you want is for your trip to suck.....

16. gmille58

gmille58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder why they charge more for additional adults, but not kids? We are going with our kids again this spring break, and it isn't an issue. It wasn't last summer when we went either. I am even thinking of getting them their own room because a regular room is too cozy for four people.

17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They should actually charge more for kids. But, from a sales and marketing , they do a deal.

Back to the original question - people do this all the time. One person checks in while others are holding bags. Unlike your local motel 6... they have thousands of rooms and have no idea who is coming and going.

But - it would be a cold day in hell I would share a room. When do you go to bed? When are lights out? TV time? Get up time? Gotta pee in the middle of the night? Snore? Sex?

18. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Caesars properties in Las Vegas charge $20 more per night for a room with 2 queens versus the same room with 1 king. I just assume it's because they expect they aren't collecting on as many third- and fourth-person charges as they think they should.

And while it's true that the hotel is likely too big to be watching if there are extra people staying in your room, one person will know every day: your housekeeper. So unless you plan to leave a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your room all week, make sure to leave her a nice tip.

19. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ran into this also. There will be 3 of us going and we're sharing a room. Rates were quite a bit higher than I thought they should be while researching rooms. At some point I checked a room rate and only selected one person. When I checked it again with the correct 3 people it jumped. That's when i remembered that hotels charge for the 3rd adult.

We plan on "sneaking" the 3rd person in. We did this once several years ago in Vegas and didn't have any trouble. Unless you're extremely obvious there's no way for them to really know. The hotels are all so large that the desk isn't going to recognize the same couples coming and going all of the time. It would be much more obvious at your normal run of the mill Drury Inn etc..

20. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your friend is gonna enjoy all that extra space in his queen bed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.