1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

35th anniversary dinner? Binion's Steakhouse or Hugo's?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Joe, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are spoiled with the Gold Card downtown and don't want to pay for a meal. We have eaten at Redwood and Second Street many times, but I now have over $250 in 4Q comp dollars. So I was thinking Hugo's or Binion's Steakhouse with a sunset seating for our big 35th anniversary dinner on 10/17.

I know Binion's is a little more hassle because you have to guess how much the meal will be and then write a comp for that amount. Go under and you lose the difference. Go over and they have to call over to 4Q to get an extra comp amount. At Hugo's you can just take the points off the card.

I'm leaning towards Binion's but their 1st seating is at 5pm and sunset that day will be at 5:01PM. Anybody know if the bar opens earlier than the 1st reservations?

I haven't been to either in decades and I see differing opinions about both places posted here, both positive and negative for both places.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. Marky147

Marky147 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had an excellent meal at Hugo's the year before last, and will be trying not to miss eating there next trip.

The only reason I didn't eat there this past trip, was that we got delayed on the night of our reservation.

Some friends had dinner at at Binion's this summer, and thought it was good, but preferred Hugo's.

The whole setup in Hugo's definitely looked geared towards couples, though.

Double digits!
  3. hetzmr

hetzmr Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Toss up, can't go wrong with either.
    At Binion's you should be ok with the sunset, it'll still be dusk and you'll get the effect of the city coming to life.
    If you're a little over on the price for the comp I find it easier to just pay it in cash.
    If you go with Hugo's try the Kona Coffee Experience, It's an amazing cup of coffee prepared at the table, well worth the $14 for 2.

4. roycpa

roycpa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe
    Congrats on your 35th!
    We liked Binions a lot and they weren't at all busy at an early hour, (don't remember exactly what time it was). We also liked Hugo's but the salad guy was way behind and we waited over a half hour for him to get to us. The food was great, but we felt crowded and not at all romantic, (I know this doesn't fit the usual response for Hugos).

5. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Joe
    Sorry, no experience with either but just want to send big congrats on your upcoming 35 year anniversary.
    A Vegas sunset along with a fine dining experience with the most special person in your life as you celebrate this milestone anniversary - whichever you choose will be memorable. Happy anniversary!

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny when we got married we'd always make these jokes about who the hell could be married for 40 or 50 years. Well here we are only 5 years away from that 40 mark. Maybe we were wise enough back then and waited until we were 29 to do it??

It must run in the family. Two of my brothers have both been married 50+ years.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  7. gotChopin

gotChopin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's fantastic being married that long. Compared to you I look like a newlywed still. Hope I can last that long. Congratulations!

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, we chose Binion's. I had to go to a host at 4Q and choose the amount of comp I wanted using my points. We looked at the menu online and guessed $200. If you don't use it all, you lose it. btw, the online menu is not current and shows lower prices.

Pain in the ass because they only have one host. I went to the host office and the sign says gone, call hotel operator. I do that, the phone rings 6 times then goes to voicemail. We weren't staying there, so hard to leave a message knowing they need my ID and Players #. OK, back to Chicago Brewing for more VP. One hour later, I try again and this time she is there and I use my points for a $200 Binion's hard comp is what they call it.

We got there at 5 PM (sunset is 6:01) and they seated us in a nice corner table with windows on both sides. The hostess said they call it the honeymoon table. It was a very good meal, but you definitely are paying for the view.

We had 5 drinks total, each was $9. Wine and cocktails.
    Escargot: $17
    Entrees:
    Porterhouse: $58. Done to a perfect rare.
    Rack of lamb: $50.
    They did come with veggies and a side of starch.

It was cool to watch the sun go down and the lights of the city come up from a corner table next to the windows. We did this one previous time from the top of Strat 20 years ago.

They bought us an anniversary desert and the bill came to $174. We could have gotten a desert to go, to fill out the $200 comp, but the one they served us was so rich we didn't need another and we didn't need another drink. So we just gave up the remaining $26 in comp money.

Funny, strange aside. My wife ordered a mojito. Our waiter says that 35 out of 40 people return them for not being good. My wife says I'll try one anyway. It comes, she tries it and say not bad, just a little weak. But it had the mulled, fresh mint and came in a nice, tall glass.

Maybe we'd do it again for #40, but not before that, And I certainly wouldn't go there if I was paying out of pocket.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the review of Binions Steakhouse. Glad that your anniversary dinner was a nice and pleasant experience.

I always appreciate reviews more from members than from other sources. And I'm always looking for new places to try when my wife and I are up there.

Congratulations on your 35th anniversary. My wife and I have been married for 38 years. We've yet to experience dining in a restaurant with a view of the Vegas valley. Maybe next trip!

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!