1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

30 year old owner of In-N-Out

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Such service has helped In-N-Out create a rabid fan base -- and make Lynsi Torres, the chain’s 30-year-old owner and president, one of the youngest female billionaires on Earth. New store openings often resemble product releases from Apple Inc. (AAPL), with customers lined up hours in advance. City officials plead with the Irvine, California-based company to open restaurants in their municipalities.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-04/youngest-american-woman-billionaire-found-with-in-n-out.html

Middle of the article starting with "plane crash" explains how she became sole owner.

Christmas
  2. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never knew that story.

People are crazy for their hamburgers.

3. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been eating at In-n-Out since high school in the late 50's. It was just about the same then as it is now, fresh food made to order. I've never seen one of their stores go out of business except for the original one in Baldwin Park.

They must be doing something right.

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm…she’s on her third husband at age 30. So, the odds favor her being divorced by the time she’s 35 and takes full control of the company.

Note to self: move to Cali…join a church group…start attending drag races…turn on the charm

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

But when you sign the pre-nup make sure you don't give away burgers for life.

6. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hesitated to post this, since it's slightly off the OP, but since this is non-Vegas chat, I'll go ahead.

I grew up in Oklahoma and Texas, where they do "real burgers." I have had In n Out twice in my life, and I can't even convey to you how disappointing this was. Their meat has no flavor; this, I assume, is the reason they cover the burgers in onions and thousand island (I mean "animal sauce"). I can't think of a more unjustly overhyped restaurant

7. ken2v

Hey, California has the happy cows!

In-N-Out is what is it, a drive-thru burger joint. There's nothing life-altering about the experience, but for what they do, fast-food burgers, they're damn good. Certainly not what I'd do at home when grinding some chuck and sirloin to make "hamburgers." But in a world of McShitz and the like, it is fresh, hot, cooked-to-order, fresh and tasty. And great fries and shakes.

Different strokes rules, however.

8. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree 100%.

I thought I was insane for thinking this since everyone worships that place.

Buns aren't any good. Fries are below average as well.

The best burgers in Orange County are TK Burgers. There are a few of them around.

http://tkburgers.com/

On the subject of burgers. I am a firm believer that the bun is just as important as meat when it comes to the taste of a hamburger.
    That is why Fuddruckers has one of best hamburgers. Their buns are fresh baked on the premises.

9. ken2v

I think the Club 19 burger at Monarch Beach Golf Links is the best OC burger. :thumbsup:

10. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Well,
    I've never had In-N-Out -
    but it's nice to hear that the meat is REAL.
    I don't eat McD or Burger King ---
    Who knows what's in their burgers ?

11. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been in the fast food business all my life. BK & Rallys. In n Out is a poor burger. Very small patty("Where's the beef"). Must get a double if you want to taste meat. They overwhelm sandwich with onions and lettuce to compansate for no meat. Ate a single many years ago and halve way through sandwich there was no meat.
    Fries sometimes undercooked and soggy.
    To the positive; Everything is cooked fresh. Service is pretty fast. Drive through is always full of cars. They make lots of money. No franchising, all company own.
    I think it is a cult following. I prefer a Wendy's single which has twice the quanity of meat and is fresh off the grill.
    When they came to Sacramento Calif. they built the first store in the area that had the most people from LA. Origin of chain.

Superbowl Baby
  12. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't dislike the burger, but I have had it a few times over the years, and I don't get it. It's fine, just not worth the hassle. I was underwhelmed by the fries.

But billions of dollars can't be wrong.

13. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love In N Out. I think it is just a touch better than 5 Guys, and 5 Guys is very good.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  14. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw this article on MSN today. I have never had In-n-out in my life.

15. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    over the past year I completed my own comparison of:

In-N-Out Burger
    Shake Shack
    Runza Burger
    Smash Burger
    Five Guys
    Good Burger
    Super Dawg

All were better than the standard fare of McD's, BK, Wendy's (which I also like and will eat). All were definitely a cut above the big chains, but nothing really stood out. If I had to rank I'd probably go like this (and part of it is fries based):

#1 Runza
    #2 Super Dawg
    #3 Smash Burger
    #4 Good Burger
    #5 Shake Shack
    #6 Five Guys
    #7 In-N-Out Burger
    #8 Wendy's
    #9 McD's
    #10 BK

16. MTMONGO

MTMONGO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mooya Burger! Best fasties around.

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just had 5 guys for the first time two weeks ago. Burgers were tasty and those fries were delicious.:thumbsup:

Christmas
  18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharin' the article, I find it interesting that the entire chain has been kept in the family and she's now the head... good for her! Since this has turned into a "who has the best burgers" thread where the "contrarians" are out in force, I'll just state that the incredible business our In & Outs seem to do here in Northern Nevada, as evidenced by the drive-thru lines every time I pass by, speaks for itself! Quality product with outstanding service.

We just got a Five Guys in our area and I too was impressed with the product, though the service wasn't up to par with In & Out, but to be fair, the joint just opened and there's always a period of training and breaking in a new place. I'd also like to give a shout out to Wendy's, who for a fast food joint, is putting out a pretty darn decent burger these days.

19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife and I had 5 Guys on the way back from a day at the shore last summer, two burgers, two sodas, one large fry, about $26. It was good, a little messy, but expensive. Looking forward to my first In-n-Out experience in October though.

I saw another Bloomberg video, it mentioned that In-N-Out has just 4 menu items compared to 68 at Mickey Dees, and a similar number at Burger King. Do one thing but do it well.

20. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the reason they can get the food out so quickly.....when a so called fast food restaurant like Mc D's has 68 items to look at that slows down the line, especially if it's a family with kids and no one can make up their minds on what to order when it's their turn.....or a car full of kids that are ordering everything under the sun while I'm just trying to get a quick cup of coffee from the drive thru.....:bang:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.