1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

3 1/2-hour Vegas TR

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by chef, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

My Trip Report

Left my house at 7:00 pm Sunday for a 8:25 pm Allegiant flight at the Rockford (IL) airport. Love that airport - free parking, no lines at check in and within 25 miles of home.
    The incoming flight was one hour late - a bit of disappointment, but nothing too terrible. With the 2-hour time change, we'll still get to Vegas before midnight.
    We board and I was pleased to have an empty seat next to me. So far, things are relatively fine...until the plane taxis to the runway. Even though it was an unseasonably warm 40 degrees, the plane had to be de-iced.
    We wait for this de-icing, but it never happens. Instead, the cabin lights are shut off for some reason.
    But, they won't go back on. Pilot says we can still fly without them, but heads back to gate for mechanics to check out.
    It is determined that the batteries need an 8-hour charge and there is no other Allegiant plane in the vicinity to use. The flight is now rescheduled for 8:30 am the next morning. Those passengers from over 50 miles away are to receive hotel vouchers and the rest of us are told to go home and come back in the morning.
    When you're the only flight at a small airport on a Sunday night, there wasn't a lot of customer service available and I get that.
    By then, I lost my interest in traveling and after arriving back home at 10:30 pm, decided not to go back in the morning.
    Oh well, there will be other Vegas trips.
    One disappointment, though, will be missing first-ever "vegas get-together" between HoyaHeel and myself. We've known each other for over 10 years on this board, but have never met in person.
    Only other casualty was forfeiting first night's stay at the IP for a grand total of $18.
    Actually, just as I finish writing this is about the same time the regularly scheduled flight would have landed and I would have soon been on my way to catch the CAT.

2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How sad! How long were you going to be in Vegas? Hope your next trip is better.:cry:

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! That just bites!:nono:

Christmas
  4. chef

Nah, it's okay. As strange as it sounds, I'm even having fun on flightaware.com this morning tracking progress of the flight I should have been on.
    For the last couple weeks, I also had the enjoyment of the pre-trip planning of what would have been a Feb10-14 stay. That can be a joy in itself.
    Another positive is that I have all the free time in the world and can make this up at a later date, which will provide me with additional pleasure of pre-planning and actual trip-taking.
    With my original Allegiant flt being dirt cheap ($130 RT), I have the opportunity to pick whatever flt I want to go on, no matter what price it is listed as, provided seats are available, so that's another win.
    Plus, the weather in Vegas is quite chilly Sunday-Tuesday and wasn't enamored with that prospect.
    Often, I fly out of either Milwaukee or Chicago and that would have been a pain to deal with being so far from home. In this case, the situation happened in my back yard and the transportation to and from was easy to deal with.
    In a travel snafu like this, the proverbial glass is half full, not half empty.

5. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chef ... Sorry to read of your cancelled flight, but you seem to be accepting it well.

We have considered flying out of Rockford, but the flights are so limited, we worry about the same thing that just happened to you. When we are all geared up for Vegas, I would not be happy having a delay like that.

Hope your next trip is better ....

6. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever "The Welfare Queen of Windsor"

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How disappointing.
    I would not be taking this as well as you are.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, my wife's basic attitude is, not only is the glass half empty, it's half full of poison!:poke:

Glad you're taking it well. I'd be very upset!:grrr:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Christmas
  8. chef

Joe,
    As a former drunk, I didn't care whether the glass was half full or half empty, but whether or not it was going to be drank.
    Maybe that's part of it. My whole outlook and attitude on life has changed so much since becoming sober many years ago.

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A win in my book! You can go on the spur of the moment, albeit space available, a luxury that few can afford!

10. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm at a loss for words. I would have this Vegas energy boiling up inside of me sitting on the runway and have no place to put it once told the plane cannot depart. A very helpless situation. They can't just poop out another plane for you to go on so you have to surrender and go home.

I think if I did go the next day I would be telling myself the whole trip that I got screwed out of a day. I guess the attitude adjustment you made was partly due to the fact that this wasn't your first rodeo. If you were a Vegas newby, it would have been a much more bitter pill to swallow.

My wife and I will be heading out April 8-12. If you happen to reschedule around then let me know. :wave:

11. chef

Jim,
    Love to see you again, but I think it will either be Feb 24-28 or sometime this summer I will be going. In between, I coach pole vaulting at the local high school and it is difficult to get away, which is a shame because April is a perfect month to travel to Vegas. I'm sure you and the missus will have a great time.

Agreed, the thought of losing a day in Vegas was one of the factors that caused me to forego this trip, especially since it was only a four-niter to begin with. And, you're right, it does make a difference if a person is a newbie versus a hardened Vegas veteran.
    Been there, done that, so no great loss on my part.
    Since I've been back from the airport, I told my wife I can not do any chores around the house because technically I'm on a staycation until Thursday. Actually, we're both having fun joking about the whole thing.

12. LaRae

LaRae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just have to say I am totallly blown away by your attitude. Very respectful, Chef!! I'm sure I would of been mad, then very sad.

13. boxcars

boxcars High-Roller

I have an Allegiant flight coming up February 28th. It's always a crap-shoot with that airline, plus our harsh North Dakota weather. If for some reason there are delays... whether short or long... I will re-read this thread you started. I admire your positive outlook! I guess the silver lining is you have a future Vegas trip in your back pocket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.