1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

2013 Rock n Roll Marathon & 1/2

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Mowsee, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mowsee

Mowsee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm so excited that I get another trip to Vegas this year and all I had to do was train for a half marathon. :beer: Anyone else on the board doing the marathon or the half?

Questions for those who have done it before:

-I'll be walking most of it and am not sure what to wear. Thinking shorts, tee-short with a hoodie to start then ditch the hoodie?

-I know they supply water along the route but is there anything else? Bananas, etc?

-Didn't see anything on the site about not allowing Garmins or iPods. Does anyone know for sure that these are allowed?

Thanks!!

2. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this will be my 5th vegas half (every one since competitor group took over)

if your walking i'd guess you would want atleast a long sleeve shirt.

-last 2 years i ran in shorts and a t-shirt with a drifit skullcap at the start which i took off once i warmed up around mile 3. but you'll be out there much longer than me and once the sun goes down it gets cold fast.

-water and gatorade every mile or so (used to be cytomax but i think they switched to gatorade) GU gels once (around mile 8 i think)

-pretty much a free for all.. you'll see all kinds of idiots. bring whatever you want, however there are so many people i wouldn't recommend an ipod. i like the be able to hear the people around me.

this will most likely be the last year i run vegas. I was pretty close to not doing it this year. the price is steep which isn't great but i really don't like the night race. it screws up the weekend for me. i hate having to wait around all day sunday trying to stay off my feet. then post race you don't have much time to relax and get rehydrated before you start to party :drunk:

also XS used to be a sponsor and have an awesome premium open bar/private event for the marathon. after 2 years ago when i think only a dozen or so people showed up (they had some huge logistical problems that year being the first night race) XS stopped sponsoring and now they give you free entry to lavo which is ok but not like the private opening of xs.

3. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My 3 sisters and I will also be walking this. That is, I will if I can get off work. We were there last year for fun and it was a trip when the strip closed.

4. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Anything goes at this half marathon, which really isn't a race. It's more of place to hang out and do your own thing with thousands of other people.
    Competitor Group, which puts on the event, along with several others in the RocknRoll series, is aware of this and promotes it as such. The more entrants they can bring in means more $$ to their bottom line.
    The Vegas half/full marathon is looked upon by the serous running community is somewhat of a joke, but it certainly has its place on the racing calendar for the more casual folks to get out and enjoy the Strip at night.
    Enjoy yourself. I did the full a couple years ago and was enlightened by the experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.