1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

18 degrees below zero (F) this AM

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monday morning...18 degrees below zero at 6 AM.:cry:

Mid fifties is going to feel so good starting Wed evening in Vegas.

I'll see a few of you Friday, 2 PM at Boar's Head for a drink or two :beer:

And...I E filed our taxes today and we are getting a small refund ~$400, Fed & WI combined. Just about enough to cover the repair bill on my 8 HP Ariens snowblower, that has been in the shop for 5 days now. We had to shovel Saturday and my back is killing me. 3 back surgeries, so far.

It is hell to get old in a winter climate.:poke:
    Ken2V shutup! Smartone, lets just forget the old jokes. You're not that far behind.:poke:

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. daveg000

daveg000 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't get caught by the Tuesday night - Wednesday morning snow Joe. Looks like I will be all right tomorrow morning. Unless the storm in the east effects flights.

3. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoy your trip Joe

Yesterday my truck read 61 while going to AC. It was 49 at the start of the game in North Jersey. Today they had 7-9 inches of snow up there and now a lot of the fans from SEA and DEN are stranded or facing long delays at the airport today. It was actually -3 early thursday morning about 7am here.
    Today I just had cold freezing rain,but like they say,you dont have to shovel rain.

4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn and I had the A/C going today.

Unfortunately we owe this year for taxes and will be holding payment until the last minute. In fact we will use the cash on our Vegas trip in a few weeks. :thumbsup:

5. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've often wondered what 18 degrees below zero (or any degrees below zero for that matter) actually feels like. Do you even venture outside? I'd probably board myself up for the winter!

40th Birthday Bash!
  6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, when both the dog and I were younger, we did go out for a walk. Understand we are suffering through our worst winter, both cold & snow-wise in about 30 years. 3 dogs later but none of them really like the cold that much. OTOH, this dog hated the 100+ in Vegas when we lived there.

These days, the dog just goes out and quickly runs back to the garage service door. I go get the paper and we are both happy to come back in the house when it is 10-15 below zero.

All that being said, when it snows and it doesn't matter the temperature, I still have to run the snowblower and clean the driveway.

Except for the 2 years we lived in Vegas, I worked in a job that never shut down. Cold/snow it didn't matter, we had to be on the job.

Enough whining, it has just been a tough winter this year. Both snow & cold, but no bugs to worry about like in TX or FL!:thumbsup: Someplace like N Dakota or Canada probably has it even worse.

My brother & nephew live out in the country. They are both on propane and there is now a shortage of that, so the price has gone up from ~$1.50 per gallon to well over $4 per gallon.

Brother has a 1,000 gallon tank and nephew has a 500 gallon tank. The weather has been so cold, they are now rationing propane fills. Triple or quadruple the price is a real budget killer.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  7. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's just cold, to me anything below 0 all feels the same. Right now its -8 here and is supposed to get to -23 tonight. I venture outside just as I would if it was 30 degrees, just have to add an extra layer of clothing. I've been living in these winters all my life, it's really not that bad. I'd rather deal with extreme cold than extreme 100+ degree heat.

8. MTMONGO

MTMONGO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just hit -7 here in Billings and going to get colder. I am with you dflak, because I will be bitching when it 95 this summer.

9. Reefer

Reefer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a letter carrier just north of where Joe lives in Wisconsin...coldest wind chill I delivered in was -72 ~ just can't begin to explain other than my last layer of clothing was my rain suite jacket to cut the wind and it cracked.
    This year we delivered in -50 a few days and lately -25 to -30. To be honest, we dress to be out in it 6 - 7 hrs (6-7 layers including sub zero parka) and just don't feel it like the average person does who asks "are you cold?" (Please don't ask that by the way). Mostly just become exhausted from trying to keep warm. It saps the energy from you. This year the cold has been relentless.
    My favorite was an old guy holding a bottle of whisky who says "get in here" when I came to the door with a parcel.... "Want a snort?" Tempting but just couldn't. Not worth the risk these days.
    :cool:

10. Reefer

Reefer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry guys, bring on the warmth! :eek:

11. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My one buddy was a letter carrier

He always tells the story about when it was about 100 degrees heat and 90 % humidity a crotchety old lady stuck her head outside and said "is it hot enough for you mailman?". His reply "no lady its not hot enough for me ,I LIKE IT ABOUT 110 DEGRESS".

12. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sending you some warmth! It was 80 degrees here today!

13. Happily

Happily High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do you do it?????!!!!!

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Hi, Joe, how's the frozen tundra? Hopes it is everything you've ever dreamed of and more.

Still a bit nippy here at 66 but we're going to 73 and the sun is out, so it's not a total hell. Think I might pop on over to the beach and take a walk.

You ever thought of moving to Vegas? Heard it's going up through the high 70s there today.

15. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coldest I experienced without wind chill was 11 below zero....did my time wrecking on the railroad for 30+ years...(wrecking means when you watched the 6pm news and seen the trains on top of each other I was one of the men that got called out at 2-3am to clear the way so more trains could keep bring food to the masses..... the colder and nastier it got the more money we made "wrecking".....but damn some days when the wind blew it was miserable out there.....now I just grin and hope the boys that are out there doing the deed keep safe and keep paying into RRR.... :<)

16. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dodged another bullet yesterday

While most people from the South up to NE were getting hammered with snow ,we managed to escape with about an inch or two and mostly rain. Hope everybody is ok.

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can always count on you Ken!:poke:

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.