1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

15 and 30 day bus passes

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by keno60, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 15 & 30 day bus passes are good on the CX & WAX but not the strip buses. It is on the RTC site. :grrr:
    I have reread the passage about fares, it is a little ambiguous so I may be WRONG, I HOPE.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are right and you are wrong. The RTC catalog says they are not All Access. However, several people have called and asked and were told that the 15 day pass IS all access. I am not sure if the 30 day is or not (except for locals with id).

Jimbo338

3. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    30 day passes are marked as all access by the * on the website. No question there.

The website has never been accurate on 15 day passes. I don't know why. 15 day passes are all access. Stop by the BTC if you are unsure and ask. They will tell you that you do not need a local ID to use them on strip buses.

Many of us have used them in the past. No worries.

24 hour passes are not all access except for locals.

4. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Dewey and Jimbo. I also have used them on the strip in the recent past.
    But I always check for changes and since they were making changes for March the 2nd and I arrive on the 9th I wanted to make sure.:wave:

5. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always a good practice. However, leaving the * off the 15 day pass on the RTC site is not a change. They have been doing it since they initiated the 15 day pass. I think it must be an intentional error.

6. 3544quebec

3544quebec Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is not as simple as leaving the * off.

The price list for Strip & Downtown Express (SDX) and Deuce passes lists a 2 hour, 24 hour, 3 day and 30 day pass - no 15 day pass is listed. It seems to me that there is no reason to believe that the 15 day pass is an all access pass for everyone. There is plenty of reason to believe that many RTC employees are misinformed.

http://www.rtcsnv.com/transit/fare-information/

7. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used the 15 day pass on the Deuce ans SDX with no problems at all. This was Nov 2013 and my pass was inspected on the SDX and swiped without issue on the Deuce.

Therefore, I believe Dewey's summary is correct.

First trip of 2017.
  8. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:

I am not giving some uninformed, off the cuff assurance. I've been working on this since 2012. I've had this confirmed on the RTC Facebook site, confirmed in person by knowledgeable folks at the BTC, tested by over a dozen Vegas regular tourist bus riders and they all knew that their answers would appear on my own blog on buses in Vegas, so they were very careful with answering me completely and accurately. So there is plenty of reason to believe I know what I am talking about.
    I even enlisted other tourists to test it out with questions at the BTC. See this one as early as October 2012
    http://vegasonthebus.blogspot.com/2012/10/bus-passes-that-are-all-access.html

(You might recognize some posters from this thread, including the OP.)

It IS as simple as leaving the * off the 15 day pass on listing of residential passes. That "*" is on the 30 day pass and so the fine print covers the all access nature of the 30 day residential pass perfectly clearly.
    The 15 day or 30 day passes are not listed in the strip bus category at all, but in the residential bus category where there is a 30 day pass that has the "*" indicating that it is good on all buses. The 15 day pass should have a similar "*" to avoid confusion.
    (Even the 24 hour residential pass is good on all strip buses for those who have a local ID. )
    NO local ID is needed to use the 15 or 30 day passes.

I know this is frustrating and confusing, and RTC folks are occasionally uninformed, but they are not uninformed or inconsistent on this particular issue. Nor will any drivers or inspectors reject the 15 day all access pass from tourists, even if sold at a reduced senior rate, and even if used by tourists from other countries.
    However, the buses are marketed in a way that encourages tourists to pay top dollar using strip passes to ride along the strip and to not expect any discount for seniors.
    The 15 day and 30 day passes are marketed primarily to locals. So tourists won't see much on the website clearly, completely and easily explaining the cheapest way to ride the RTC because no one wants tourists to choose the cheapest way.
    After all, someone has to pay the gas bill.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  9. weas

weas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was there Nov. 2013 bought 15 day pass (senior discount) was told by lady that sold me ticket that it was all access no local id required. Rode the duece, wax and SDX numerous times. No problems.

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This question has been asked and answered. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.