1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

$11.95 ribeye steak at Magnola Veranda.. any good?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by gpenguins67, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I'm heading out in exactly 1 week and I'm staying downtown for the first 2 nights. I was looking for prime rib specials downtown and I came across the Ribeye steak at Magnolia Veranda @ 4queens... served 24 hrs a day for $11.95. It looks like a good deal
    1) have you guys tried this... and is it any good?
    2) Is it an actual grilled steak or is prime rib?

Also, I know this question comes up a lot but what are your thoughts for a decent place to grab prime rib or steak downtown. Nothing fancy, preferably under $15. We have plans to go out for a nice steak dinner later on in the week so I'm not looking for fine dining.

2. rayrat

rayrat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The prime rib special at the Market Street inside the California is a good deal, and good food, too!

3. RIRugrat

RIRugrat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had the Ribeye special at 4am once (only drawback having it that early is the soup/sides options are limited) and my parents both had this for dinner with me in June. They liked it better than I did. I thought it was good...not great. Still a good value.

I like Magnolia's prime rib special more but it's "only" served 4pm-10pm instead of 24x7. Can't wait to have it again this Sunday!

Chris

4. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it says ribeye it is a grilled steak. If it says prime rib then it is a prime rib roast that is roasted in oven.

First Trip 2017
  5. bhanson

bhanson Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't tried the Ribeye at Magnolia's, but I love the Prime Rib special. I have had it many times and have never been disappointed!

I have tried the Prime Rib at Market Street several times and haven't cared for it. Give me Magnolia's Prime Rib anytime! To each his own, I guess.

6. jgxtrav1

jgxtrav1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm, as you said: "To each his own, I guess."

Over the years, I have eaten both (several times) and I like both but I prefer prime rib at Market Street (but probably more because of the salad bar and the Cherries Jubilee dessert than because of the Prime Rib) .... also, it is easier to get it rare to medium rare at Market Street.

Well, to each his own, I guess.

FYI
    I've also had the Ribeye at Magnolia's and it's pretty good .... not the best ribeye I've every had .... but still pretty good. I like both my ribeye and prime rib medium rare (to rare). Biggest issue I've had with both at Magnolia's is trying to get it medium rare (to rare). About 50% of the time it's over-cooked so I now order it rare. That way, if it's too rare, I can send it back to be cooked a little more .... but since I've been ordering it rare, I've never had to send it back. Actually it still comes cooked medium at times but I can live with that as, although I like it better rare to medium rare, I can live with it medium. But, if it comes well done, it goes back .... that's only happened once.

Bottom line:
    IMHO, all are good (but not "great") and are good deals (price-wise). If I could only do one, it would be prime rib at Market Street.

7. Foos

Foos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have yet to have a Rare or Med Rare cut of prime at Magnolia's, they always bring out a cut that is well done/ Med well (hardly a bit of pink) and I go somewhere else. El Cortez Prime does come rare and is a good deal.
    Every trip I want to try the prime at the Cal (and the oxtail soup) but never get around to it....Maybe this trip

Western Airlines "The Only Way To Fly"
  8. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have enjoyed the prime rib at Magnolia's every time I have had it. I was disapointed in the ribeye. It seemed like a slice of prime rib throw on the grill.

9. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the input guys. I'm actually prefer a ribeye steak cooked on a grill over a piece of prime rib. That's why I was interested in finding out about this.
    Another steak question. Has anyone tried the new steakhouse in The D? They don't have prices on the menu but I'm guessing its gonna be $30-45 a steak since they have a 30 day aging process as advertised on the menu.
    I don't mind spending the money if the quality is good.

10. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is in this week restaurant reviews..
    http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97197

First Trip 2017
  11. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My vote is market street cafe at cal

Prime rib with soup or a great salad bar and cherries jubilee for desert for around ten bucks

How can you go wrong?

I also had prime rib at the el cortez coffee shop,pretty good also.

12. jgxtrav1

jgxtrav1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.