1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

$10 Match play...what game?

Discussion in 'Casino Gaming' started by DonnyC, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyC

    DonnyC VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2012
    Messages:
    2,137
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    8
    Looks like I'm getting $10 match at from the GN.

    Would you play:

    1) BJ
    2) roulette - colour (red or black)
    3) Craps pass line

    Also...why?

    Thanks.
     
  2. sindustry

    sindustry VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2013
    Messages:
    3,172
    I like to do red or black on roullette...easiest game to walk away from after a single win/loss.
     
  3. DonnyC

    DonnyC VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2012
    Messages:
    2,137
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    8
    So if I out a $10 on red plus the match play and win...do I walk away with $30 or $40?
     
  4. Morpheus7272

    Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Messages:
    413
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    34
    $30. You get paid even-money on a $20 bet, but they don't replace the paper with chips.
     
  5. topcard

    topcard Older than the Stardust!

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2012
    Messages:
    2,664
    Location:
    Fort Worth
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    82
    I would play it at a 'free-bet blackjack' table (if they let you).
    If you get a double or split hand, it would be 'free' at $20 instead of $10.
    Example: You get dealt 8-8. You split them for free. on the first hit, you draw a 2, so you double for free & draw a 9. On the next hit, you get another 8 and split them again for free, and then draw two 10s to those 8s.
    You now have a $40 19 and two $20 18s.
    If the dealer busts or makes 17, you win $80, having only risked $10 of your own. You walk away with $90.

    Again though - I don't know if they allow the match-play on that game, but I'd certainly ask.
     
    Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  6. bubbakitty

    bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Messages:
    1,800
    Location:
    Texas
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    60
    USUALLY the match play offer is for EVEN MONEY bets only. The may allow at your example but would only pay out 10 $ for the win (although I suppose they would let you add your own $ on double down situations if you wished)
     
    1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  7. dewey089

    dewey089 Guru of Value

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2001
    Messages:
    4,202
    Location:
    averill park (near albany) ny
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    29
    I don't like blackjack because I don't want to debate whether I lose the edge on the matchplay if I double down.

    I don't like roulette because the house advantage is high and I intend to use a lot of matchplays over a long life, so I'm in it for the long term.

    I like the odds on mini baccarat, but there is no drama because although I get the rules when I read them on Wizard of Ods, I can't seem ever to follow the game as it is played. And it goes very quickly.
    "Oh, did I win?" "Ah, okay, thanks."

    Craps is my pick, usually in the morning with few or no players when often I can actually roll for the matchplay, so there is some drama and I get to actually touch something and do something.
    I take no odds. That even money bet reduces the huge player advantage of the matchplay, and I want to save my money for VP.
    I often say to the dealers, "Do you mind if I just play off this coupon before I head home?" which makes me feel more comfortable about hit and run.

    Now Wild Bill will keep playing craps if he wins the matchplay, the old "playing with their money" argument. He sees the matchplay not so much as a huge player advantage bet, but as a good odds invitation to a long, long winning streak.
    I generally take a coupon run when I am down in backroll and I nip into one place or another, hoping just to clear enough for breakfast.
     
  8. topcard

    topcard Older than the Stardust!

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2012
    Messages:
    2,664
    Location:
    Fort Worth
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    82
    Yeah...I get the "even money only" rule these 'match-play' deals have...but in the case of 'free-bet blackjack', if you were playing it without the matchplay, you would still get the free doubles & splits.

    The only question is whether the value of the free double and/or split would include the value of the matchplay, as it does with with a normal bet.

    I have no idea if Nugget allows it or not, but if they do, I would think it would be the best way to play a matchplay ticket.
     
    Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  9. AlexS

    AlexS Tourist

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2013
    Messages:
    49
    Location:
    Cleveland
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    2
    When I get match play at my local casino I usually hedge my bet on roulette. Place the $10 match play ticket and $10 on black, and then also another $10 on red. With this strategy I have roughly a 47.4% chance of winning $10, 47.4% chance of leaving even, and 5.2% chance of losing all $20 if it hits the greens. Some many not like this but I do.
     
  10. Bazzito52

    Bazzito52 Low-Roller

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2008
    Messages:
    437
    Location:
    Lakeland, FL
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    60
    If you should ever get TWO (2) match play coupons, try this "spot play":

    $10.00 + coupon on Red

    $10.00 + coupon on Black

    $5.00 each on 0 & 00

    Result: Red or Black: Win $20.00 on Red/Black. Lose $10.00 on opposite and $10.00 on 0-00 split. Break-even.

    Result: 0 or 00: $175.00 win on 0 or 00. $25.00 loss on Red/Black and other number. $150.00 net win.

    So two match play coupons give you a shot at a real payday with no downside. (You can play this with a partner who bets 1/2 of the action with you taking the other half. Fun for a couple on the way to dinner or the bar.)

    Good Luck!!
     
    NFL Divisional Playoffs!!
  11. Ben Jammin

    Ben Jammin VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Messages:
    1,145
    Location:
    Cali
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    120
    you're lucky-

    you're even getting any match play these days, as they have gone the way of the carrier pigeon for the most part. Any even money bet will do. it just depends on luck.

    The lowest house edge in the GN is Craps or mini Bach, if they have a $10 game.

    BJ is good if you're intending to play for a while anyway, you can pull the coupon out mid shoe.

    Good Luck!
     
  12. Morpheus7272

    Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Messages:
    413
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    34
    Craps is my game for matchplays as well.

    As to the comment about hedging matchplay bets with black/red or black/red/green, many casinos are wise to this. It's best to do this with a friend making the opposite bet. I have had this bet disallowed at least once trying to do it myself in Las Vegas.

    Dave
     
  13. Auggie

    Auggie Dovahkiin

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    Messages:
    5,749
    Location:
    Burnaby, BC
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    14
    I think for $10 its pretty lame to be worried about hedging ones bet... plus the casino may not even allow it.

    That said, if its just going to be a one shot thing, IE: you don't like playing table games and just want slot play, then I would go with roulette and pick any of the even money wagers. If you go with blackjack you might have to put more money on the table (splitting or doubling) and with craps you should put more money down (taking odds) plus craps can take a few throws of the dice to resolve your wager, whereas with roulette its just one spin and then its done.

    For Golden Nugget themselves: I am thinking this $10 match play is part of the "Golden Values" coupon book everybody gets when they check in? If thats the one then of note you have to go to the 24K booth and turn the coupon in for a voucher before you can use it at any of the table games.
     
  14. WrongWayWade

    WrongWayWade VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2010
    Messages:
    1,116
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    27
    I'd just go up to the mini-baccarat table and play it there. Unlike Roulette where you lose on the 0/00, you only push on a tie and can try again. The odds are just a little more than 1% on either bet, but may as well put it on Player and avoid paying any commission.

    As far as the earlier suggested hedge at roulette, losing the coupons (but no money) almost all the time, hoping for a 0/00 jackpot would be boring for me. I'd hedge only $2 on the 0/00 split and do the red/black thing as described, ($10 real money + $10 coupon on each) (if they'd let me.) I'd walk away winning either $8 or $14 every time that way.
     
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.