1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker $1+ vs. 25 cent Video Poker

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by Bgoll279, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bgoll279

Bgoll279 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does it make sense to play $1 VP? It is more of a rhetorical question. It seems like we will all go out of our way to play VP with a better pay schedule, which of course makes good sense. However, the only way to near that full pay schedule is to hit Royals. Once, you step up to $1 level or higher, any royal will generate a tax form, essentially taking a large part of that improved pay schedule. Obviously not so at the quarter level.

I have never had to worry about this because I have never hit a Royal.:thumbsdown:

Is this not an issue because at the end of the year you would get a report to offset those wins with your other gaming losses? Those with some experience winning, please share your thoughts. I guess I was also thinking about the implications of the IRS changing the tax form limit to $600, effectively making quarter level Royals worse as well.

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True in the long run you'd be better off playing the version with the better pay table but do you have the bankroll to support the swings? If you're not hitting your share of full houses between quads your money evaporates quickly. Plus your theoretical loss per hour would be higher since your average bet is 4x as big

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I speak from the experience of having lived in Nevada for over 30 years and my one-(1) count 'em... one-(1) Royal at the .50 level!!!! Ha!!! I play VP, when I do play which is pretty limited to a couple hours, once a month. Most everyone on this board gambles more than I and has more play. I prefer to start at .25 level and if I hit something (4OAK), I move it up to the .50 level and if I do well again, I'll play $1's cause I feel like I'm playing on house money. Yes, I find decent a payable, but don't obsess over it, as I don't play for hours at a time. My income would certainly support longer play at higher levels, but I hate the feeling of losing more than I like the feeling of winning... which is NOT a gamblers mentality. I concentrate my place at one place, so my win/loss statement at the end of the year covers (shows losses) any potential Royal. I wish I hit a ton of 'em, I'd gladly pay the taxes!

Your question of does it make sense to play $1VP? I like the sound of a $4K+ Royal over a $1K+ Royal any day... but $1 level chews up a bankroll in a hurry when it's runnin' dry. There are some folks on VMB way smarter than I to speak to the math of it all and I hope they join in.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The tax implications take less from the payback than one might guess. Especially if you bother to write off your losses against the tax form.

It really depends on how much you want your swings to be. Unless you find a dollar game that pays over 99.5% return, your average hourly losses will almost always be higher playing dollars than quarters.

For example...lets say you play 400 hands an hour. At dollars you can play 9/6 DDB (98.98%), but for quarters you can only play 8/5 DDB (96.79%)

Expected loss at dollars: 400 x $5 x (1-0.9898) = $20.40/hr

Expected loss at quarters: 400 x $1.25 x (1-0.9679) = $16.05/hr

How you value comps may make dollars more desirable in this example, but the swings will be a lot, lot more extreme.

5. fenway68

fenway68 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And if you have to play 7/5 quarters DDB ('cause thats what CET makes you do now at the bartops apparently), then Trig correct me if I am wrong, this puts your theo loss at or worse than full pay doallrs?

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Theoretically, yes, dollars at 9/6 DDB (98.98%) loses less than 7/5 DDB (95.71%) quarters given the same hand rate. But, I don't think any Vegas CET property offers single line 9/6 DDB, and definitely not at a bartop. :( Rio strangely offers 40/10/6 DDB (99.96%) for 3-line dollars at $50 per tier credit though. It's 9/5 DDB (97.87%) on the floor in a lot of places, for both quarters and dollars. As for CP at dollars, I'd either find the 9/5 JoB with STP spin poker unit (98.73%) in the high limit room (playing 1 to 9 lines at $6/line each), or the few 7/5 Super Double Double Bonus games (98.61%) I found for dollars. I'll eventually report it to VPFree2...I should considering all the crap I wrote down.

7. Yokel

Yokel VP Player

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BTW You could just send a link to your sticky to vpFREE2. They could then pick and choose what to add to their database. That's what I would do and I would think it would work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.