1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Annoyed... just want to rant!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Dancemom, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dancemom

Dancemom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only go to Vegas once a year. It's the only time the whole year I am not responsible for another human being (I'm a wife and Mom as well as a teacher of middle school kids) and it's a trip I look forward to all year. Halfway through last year's trip I got food poisoning and spent 36 hours in bed or in the bathroom and couldn't enjoy any food until days after I was home. This year's trip was to be my DO-OVER and I have planned and looked forward to it since I got home from last year's trip.

Several days ago I was hospitalized after getting sicker than I've ever been in my life. Turns out I had the worst gallbladder attack of my life with an impacted stone that became infected. 4 different meds by IV in the hospital and then 3 prescriptions to take when I got home. Obviously, I'm headed for surgery which thankfully they didn't feel was necessary when I was in the hospital but will be getting referred to a surgeon later this week.

I leave on Sunday the 17th and once again, it looks like I won't be enjoying any really good meals in Vegas once again. Need to keep the diet bland and low fat until surgery. And one of the prescription meds I'm on has serious reactions with alcohol (violent vomiting and cramps) so I've been advised to stop that med 2 days before I go.

The irony is that the last gallbladder attack (and they were nowhere near the severity of this one) I had was several years ago, and since then I've lost about 150 pounds and figured the weight loss and healthier lifestyle resolved any gallbladder issues I had. Grr.

Ok, rant over....carry on. :rolleyes2:

2. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about that! But the good news is that you will still be able to make the trip and have your getaway from reality time. Just take it easy while you are there and try to enjoy it as best as you can. Good luck and best wishes!

3. Dancemom

Dancemom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is true. :) As long as it doesn't act up while I'm there I should be fine, other than not being able to indulge in some good eating.

4. josassoc

josassoc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had weight loss surgery several years ago, and learned the hard way that rapid weight loss tends to cause gall stones. My gall bladder was removed a few months later. Gall stone attacks are a b!tch. High fat food used to set off an attack for me. Good luck...and sorry you are going through this. Stay away from ice cream...my downfall.

5. Dancemom

Dancemom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't have surgery and lost pretty slowly (over 2.5 years) so I don't know if it's that. But yes, I know to avoid high fat foods. And yes...those attacks are brutal...worse than the natural childbirth I did twice. LOL Thanks!

6. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel your pain. Years ago we went 3 years between trips due to financial reasons...then we got to the once a year trip. The past few years I have been able to go twice a year. When you only get to go once a year you ( or at least I) put so much emphasis on every detail. I would plan every meal, show, hotels scrutinized to death. Everything means so much more to you and is heightened when you know you will not get back for a long time. I still treat each trip as...this could be my last time...we never know when something will stop our ability to go back again. My gallbladder was full of stones and I was hospitalized for 3 weeks back when I was 23. Years later the husbands gallbladder just stopped working and turned to sludge. Daughter had hers removed in her 20s....so I totally understand the pain.

7. MNHornet09

MNHornet09 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah yes, the good ol gallbladder. Had mine removed 4 or 5 years ago, when I was about 24. The doctor's were impressed. I had one big stone that completely blocked the passage. There wasn't much I could eat without upsetting it. Some of the worst pain I have ever experienced.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well that just sucks! You look forward to the trip all year and then this comes up.

I never had a gall stone, but did have a kidney stone once and that was the most excruciating pain I have ever been in.

9. Dancemom

Dancemom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the sympathizing. :) I am definitely going to do whatever it takes to not have a flare up while I'm there. I had meals planned that now I'm not sure I should risk but hopefully I'll still have a great time. As long as I can still have a few drinks at the slots, and can enjoy the pool, it should be ok. Positive thinking!

10. rvallez6

rvallez6 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gallbladder pain is the worst pain i've ever had in my life, and the uncertainty of when the attacks will come is frustrating. I had my first attacks when I was about 17, but they never diagnosed it as that. They went away for years, resurfaced when I was 25, and i had to have emergency surgery. I didn't find out until a few years later that they didn't take the gallbladder out, the surgeon had difficulty, so he removed the stone and that was it. I started having pains again a few years after, and I had told my doctor that I had it removed and when he looked at the MRI, he said, "looks like you still have a gallbladder". Pretty odd situation. They did finally remove it, and i've never had that pain since.

I really feel for you on this one. All it takes is one attack to ruin a night or weekend. Its not like you can sleep the pain off either, and you never know when it will end. I hope you have a nice trip, then a successful surgery, and a great trip next year!

11. Dancemom

Dancemom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, the pain is like nothing else. I delivered 2 kids naturally and I'd go through that many times over rather than one of these attacks. The first one dropped me to the floor as I had no idea what it was. But most of my other ones (maybe had 10 total) would last 20 minutes or at most an hour. And then the pain just fades away completely like someone is releasing the vice in my guts, which is why I never sought medical help for them. I knew they would just pass and be over with. This one started at 3 am and didn't let up until the hospital hooked me up to IV around 10 pm. Worst day ever. If I have to eat sawdust in Vegas to avoid one while I'm there, I will. LOL

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish you luck. You're braver than I am. I think given those circumstances I don't think I'd go until after surgery. I know your schedule doesn't allow much freedom so if you don't go now, you're not going until next year. I just don't trust my luck. I'd be the one to end up in the ER out of everybody, you know? It's a tough decision. I wish you a smooth recovery and a good trip.

13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, that sucks big time.

I would do a little research to better understand what foods are
    A) No Way,
    B) Problematic
    C) Okay, but not with xxxx.
    D) Okay with anything
    E) Eat all you want, no matter.

I am sure there are some surprises in there that a lay person would not think are okay that you could still enjoy, and some that react bad with certain combinations.

14. Dancemom

Dancemom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am absolutely doing that research! Also seeing my doctor in a couple days after a follow up ultrasound tomorrow.

15. rvallez6

rvallez6 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it all depends on how much the stones are blocking. I would get it off and on and a times I could eat terribly without issue. When it got really bad, almost anything triggered an attack. Ice cream was definitely a trigger. But that's the rough part, even if you think something will be ok, there is a chance it can flare up. When i went in the hospital the second time they did not let me eat anything but ice chips for about 3 days until they did the surgery. Its good that you are planning your surgery and they can be less invasive. My wife had the same surgery and was in and out the same day.

16. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. You should get tested for crohns disease. Sound identical to what the doctors thought was my fathers problem, removed the gall bladder (symptoms kept on) then finally was properly diagnosed with crohns...Hope everything turns out alright for you.

17. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make sure you have Out of Country medical Insurance, just in case.
    Good luck with everything!

18. Dancemom

Dancemom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have out of country insurance with my job but always buy supplemental insurance. Luckily, I had bought it before this flared up so it wasn't a "pre-existing condition" before I bought it. Never had to use it before, so hopefully that trend will continue. :)

19. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is frustrating how out of 365 days of the year you get the most sick on those 5 days of vacation. :grrr: I hate that.

With being a teacher I assume you have a few months off during the summer and your trips are planned at the end before school starts back up.

My suggestion is to plan the future trip in the beginning of the summer.
    If any issues arise you can reschedule.

At the end of summer it really doesn't leave much room to reschedule.

20. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Double check that your insurance is still valid. Once you have a problem before you leave, it might be questioned.

I wish you a safe and healthy trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.