1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New Club Championship Format = Stupid Move!!!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by dooner, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our club championship is tomorrow. They have the following rules - 'the club champion can only win if you are part of the championship or first flight'. They will play their own set of tees (black). The other flights will play blue.

So here's my dilemma - I am a 3 handicap, and it will be real close to be flighted in the top 16 in my club (each flight is only 8 players). That means that if I enter and end up 18th for instance in ranking, that I have no chance to win the club championship, since I'll be playing a different set of tees.

Are you telling me that only 0 - 2 handicaps are capable of winning? I've lost the club championship 3 times in playoffs (a whole other story), with one of those while I was a 5 handicap (shot 71 - 73).

Needless to say, I'm not entering the 'traditional' club championship, but a new format they made up called the 'fun side', where you pick a partner, and play a scramble for two days. I'd rather have fun with my dad as a partner, than shooting a 69 - 70, and losing the club championship by shooting the low score in the club since I played the 'forward' tees.

Maybe I should just pad my handicap (like over 75% of the so-called 1's and 2's in the club (who never break 80 in this event)) and get in that way. (but knowing my golf brain, I'd probably hack it up, myself).

Sorry rant over......

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought you Canadians were smarter, more practical than us? Apparently not when it comes to the Blazer Brigade at the club.

Screw it, playing with Judge Smales is a drag anyway. And you and your pop will have two days to enjoy and then talk about for a long time, longer than if you get that 16th seed or whatever and take it all. This is such old school bullshit. The 1950s crap that many who call the shots still don't understand is tried and untrue.

3. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You got it Ken! I am looking forward to a couple of fun days with Dad!!

I am not a fan of golfing with the so-called 'low handicappers' - they feel entitled to line up that 3rd putt from every angle, then complaining about something later.

(and as added note, they decided not to have a Seniors Club Champ years ago, my dad could still almost win it at 74 years old - he won the 'regular' club championship 8 times already and the Senior Open 8 times).

Guess I won't have that coveted 'Club Champ parking spot'.

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At our club down south, there was that same type of tourney crowd that had a sense of superiority and entitlement on the course. The kinda guys I always like to tell: "You know, in playing ability I'm a lot closer to you than you are to a guy who struggles to keep his tour card year-in and year-out."

Furyk certainly isn't alone in this, but he is definitely the Poster Child for bad practices in routine and particularly on the green. Oh my. When I am Golf Czar there will be almost a complete no touchy rule on the green. I won't bring back the stymie, but unless lift, clean and place is in place, you ain't picking it up and marking and cleaning and preening on the green, either. It's ridiculous. There. My rant. I'd love to see the USGA or someone do a study of recreational golfers. I bet most would be better putters if they quit trying to be like some guy on TV. If you can't discern the general break walking to the ball, it ain't going to be any more apparent 180 degrees the other way. Step up, forget the practice stroke that will look NOTHING like the real stroke, hit the ball left of the hole or right of the hole or at the hole as needed. Knock it in if it doesn't drop.

Oh, and anyone plumb-bobbing gets the last available time on the tee shot.

5. jwkick

jwkick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never understood how the ball gets so " dirty " from 25 feet that you must remark the ball to clean it. If you can not walk up and hit in from less than a couple feet you need to play a different game.

6. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am on board with this idea. I do think that you should be able to mark and clean it once on the green. But that it's it, until holed, unless a competitor asks you to mark.
    I also like the idea of never taking the flag out of the hole. I've read that idea more than once.
    ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to speed up play.

7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you get a chance to vote on this? I wouldn't like it.

Question for all. Is this a common practice?

8. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well a little bit of an update - it turned out that I would have been in the 2nd flight if I entered the 'stroke' event, so basically no chance to win the club championship, since I would have been playing from the blue tees, not the black tees, like they had.

Frustrating, considering that Dad and I shot 7 under in the scramble section - we played well!

9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I've caddied in Club Championships where the so called "low handicaps"
    scored so badly.....I would have beat them !
    It was embarassing - some of the scores.
    So, all year these guys knock off a few strokes just to qualify for the
    Championship Round ?
    And an HONEST golfer like yourself gets screwed !
    That needs to be addressed by a different committee.

10. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Know how you feel, flighting works only if you have enough quality players to justiy or players in general . Since at my club this never worked because we only had a few low digit handicapers. we just did a net and a gross winner with and 85% handicap adjustment (weeded out the sandbaggers and padders). this way all could be involved and we had bigger turnouts.Best part is 90% of the guys have never played by the "rules" in their life and is a BIG awakening when having to actually count all those shots,penalty stokes ,and no 2 foot gimmies etc. Those so called 3-5 handicappers turn into 9-10's

'

11. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Absolutely Mike !!!
    Yup - Actually "play by the rules" + no gimme putts.
    I love the guys who give themselves incredibly lenient drops.
    Flight of the ball enters a water hazard about 100 yds from Tee box ---
    lands 200 yds ( total ) further up --
    and these guys walk all the way up to where the ball splashed down !
    And try a lateral drop from there --
    Nope !.......walk all the walk back - jack !
    I see that one all the time.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is hitting the golf ball and there is golf. I'm cool with both. Just as long as everyone is playing the same variant if there is money or something else on the line. Otherwise, do what you gonna do.

13. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last update - the club champion shot 76, 76. Highest score to ever win. Dad and I shot 64, 64. Won by the scramble section (12 teams) by 8 strokes.

Turns out the 2nd flight guys decided to play from the blacks, in order to make it even for 'snips' (money side bet and deuce pot), NOT because of any complaints about being able to actually win the whole thing.

I don't understand some people's thinking.

Dad and I had a great time, however, I still have a big 'if' in my brain - what 'if' I played individual stroke play - I would have been in the second flight, and, apparently could have 'decided' to play the same set of tees as the championship/1st flight.

Incidently, shot 70 today - arrrgggghhhh!!!!

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thinking about the lousy bowling scores I tossed up yesterday. Grrrrrrrrr. lol

I had a two-way miss most of the day ... both my putter and now my driver are on walkabout.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.