1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental Car Rates - Big savings by moving back pick-up time an hour and a half

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mjamesp, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjamesp

mjamesp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking for advice on the following. Currently I have two reservations with Dollar. I kept reading here about great rates on a Dodge Avenger with Dollar but couldn't get the good rate to come up for the dates and times I was searching. By trial and error I was able to find the lower rate and work back to dates and times that most closely fit my flight times.

The original is from 8/9 @ 11:00pm to 8/13 @ 11:00pm at a total of $161.25
    The second is from 8/10 @ 12:30am to 8/13 @ 11:00pm at a total of $89.36

My question is if I were to show up in the garage (Dollar Express) between 11:00pm and 12:30am on the 9th/10th and return the car before 11:00pm on the 13th should I expect to be charged the $89.36 rate? Is there any risk of being charged a different rate by picking up the car an hour early?

My flight is supposed to land at 11:00 and if on-time and with out checked luggage I can make it to the rental center in 30 minutes. Full disclosure, I'm flying Spirit so this could be a moot point.

Thanks for any advice

2. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked for Avis, and we based rental days on a 24 hour period. Pick up at 8 am, and 8 am the next day was 1 day. I cannot speak for Dollar, but it looks to me like they use a calendar day period. So your original res is 4 days, past midnight makes it a 3 day. That's why there is a difference in the price.

3. mjamesp

mjamesp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The daily rate is also different. $12 when picking up at 12:30am -vs- $20.42 for 2 days and $30.79 for 2 days when picking up at 11:00pm.

untitled.JPG

4. skybank

skybank High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are part of the Dollar Express club then they will have your name on the screen for the whole day. I notice this year that it scrolls peoples names who come in later in the day, I was picking up in the morning. So picking up will not be an issue, they base the rate from time you pick up to the time you return. My flight was delayed and I returned a hour later than I had put on my reservation this past May and the price was not different.

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They may have a Saturday night overstay required. There is a reason for it.

6. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't see anyone from the time the flight lands being at rental car in 30 minutes, it will take at least 30 mins to get your luggage then you have to catch a shuttle which will probably take another 30 mins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.