1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who comps better Mlife or Golden Nugget?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Cowrun, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowrun

Cowrun Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is y'all's opinion?

2. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thats like saying do you want to drive a honda or a buggattie

u must give way more info on your type of play otherwise mlife is a better place

3. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well obviously more details on what your play is like (what game/avg bet/etc.) would help. However it's going to be a tough comparison for a few reasons. Typically those who play/stay downtown tend to not be the same people who stay/play on the strip. (Yes I realize some split their time between the two, but the majority are one or the other). Based on my own experience, I would say that most people are probably going to be comped better at Mlife than the Nugget. I say this because:

1. Mlife is simply bigger. That means they have a wider range of rooms and more rooms to fill. Even on the busiest weekends, Mlife would have a hard time filling every room they have with a paying customer. GN not so much.

2. While the GN is a nice property, and their rush tower rooms are as good most of the upper tier base rooms on the strip, it seems as if their self "valuation" is skewed by the fact that it's by far the nicest property downtown. That means that they comp like the Wynn/Bellagio/Venetian properties do. An average looking woman is going to look hot surrounded by a bunch of ugly women, but that doesn't mean you're going to want to see her in the next Victoria Secret runway instead of Adriana Lima. In other words, the amount of play required to get comped at the Nugget would probably get you nicer digs and more comps at Mlife.

I only go downtown once per trip at most, but I have stayed at the nugget two times in the Rush Tower when I needed to add a night to a trip and wanted a change of scenery. I don't worry about comps downtown as I only spend an hour or two gambling down there at most, and I like to bounce around. However, I've never gotten more than a reduced rate at GN (admittedly I haven't committed a ton of time to play there, but when I do play I play at the same level as I do on the strip). I haven't paid for a room on the strip since my first trip, and I haven't paid for a meal (at a resort restaurant) in about three. I also usually have some FP worked into every trip too.

YMMV, but because of the GN being THE place downtown, they are going to be a tougher comp. If they were on the strip and competing with better/more properties, it may be different.

4. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even though I am not the OP, I wanted to say thanks. That's a really helpful post. I know nothing about downtown comps because I am a Strip guy. This info makes perfect sense, even if its a little surprising to a Strip visitor. I have always heard that GN is the class of downtown. But I also assumed it was easier to get comps at every DT property when compared to the Strip. Good to know

I Need Spa
  5. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe that it is easier at the GN. The only time I stayed there I had just gotten a card and played for about 90 minutes on the previous trip. I called them and asked them to look at my play for the 90 minutes($125 avg bet/craps) and asked what they could do for me on a Sat night. The host comped the night in a Rush Tower room upfront. They also comped about $60 food charges bill the next day. I don't believe you could get that at most mlife properties. I played about 3 hours as we got in late.

6. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Comparing the GN to MLife in General is not an apples to apples comparison since MLife has a wide range of properties.
    While your play at Excalibur will probably get more comps for comparable play than the GN, the same will not be true for Bellagio or Aria.

7. synthpop101

synthpop101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last trip I stayed at both GN and MB. I'm an average black chip bettor. My host at MB comped rfb up front while the only thing GN gave me was the room and tournament entry up front. I played more at GN that trip and when I went to check out, they wouldn't even comp off $20 extra dollars in charges.

I used to stay at GN exclusively about 4-5 years ago but stopped when they started this same sort of behavior. I would come in on a room offer for a few days, put in my 4-6 hours per day, and many times have sizeable losses. Upon checkout they wouldn't comp anything , not even a $9.99 breakfast buffet.

That is why when ever I ask for a comp in the pit and they ask if I am staying there, in either say no or say that my office is paying for the room so I can't charge anything else. The pit has no problem comping food when playing black chips or above.

8. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. It's relatively easy to get room comps at Luxor/CC/Excalibur with even a modest gambling session or two. As you move up the MGM ladder, you'll be required to gamble quite a bit more to get free rooms. However unless you are an ultimate low roller, even modest play will get you room discounts or free weeknights.

That said, if you can provide more information about your gambling habits people here will be able to give you an idea what you can expect from most places.

9. darrenfromindy

darrenfromindy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just a green chip player and have NEVER been denied free food from the pit at Golden Nugget. In fact, it's probably the easiest food comp in Vegas. I've never been comped a room at GN, but get ridiculously low rates. I think dollar for dollar you can get more generous comps at Luxor or Excalibur, but neither of those places are as nice as GN.

10. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Come on! We all know the easiest food comp in vegas is the lady at the grocery store aisle with the free samples :Þ

I Need Spa
  11. darrenfromindy

darrenfromindy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL at UKFanatic. It's true about Golden Nugget. If you are a friendly bettor and ask nicely (there's an art to getting food from the pit crew), they won't turn green chippers down for food if you've given them a few hours of play. Surprisingly, Wynn has been generous with buffet comps, too (as long as you're not staying there).

12. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the last three trips we went to Vegas, my wife and I have cashed in $2000+ in MyVegas rewards at MGM. PLUS a total 12 nights free at Bellagio and Mirage, and freeplay

We stay at GN also, Free nights, and about 1/2 the freeplay.

No comparison for us, but we like staying at the GN, while downtown.

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
  13. LOCALGAMBLER77

LOCALGAMBLER77 Local Las Vegan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is very interesting that you picked these two. I find them the stingiest properties (all of MLife) and Golden Nugget downtown. I do not play at either any more. I would pick any other property, any at all, and they will comp better.

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You get the best comps where you play. And I tend to play where I have fun. We do not do downtown personally, so even if comps are twice as good at GN - it would not matter.

As said by others, question is of little value without more information.

15. ginmil

ginmil Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mlife has better comps than Golden Nugget, IMHO

16. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're assuming that that's the OP's only or main concern. More likely, the OP probably likes one of the MGM properties and GN equally, perhaps for different reasons, but would be happy at either property for a trip. If that's the case, why not opt for the property that would provide you with more comps and therefore better value?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.