1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What to tell cabbie when getting taxi from airport to the Mirage?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by amyanderson2511, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amyanderson2511

amyanderson2511 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello!

My boyfriend and I are heading off to Vegas in about a month (woo hooo....can't believe the wait is finally nearly over!)

Can someone please tell me what I should tell the driver when we get in the cab? I think we were ripped off last time we were there as the fare cost us around $35+.

Thank yoou

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mirage, no tunnel

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  3. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just googled it and found someone's advice on Tripadvisor that said you should tell the driver to take Swenson Street to Flamingo and then to Las Vegas Boulevard. I would also add before giving him these directions tell him not to take the tunnel so he knows that you are informed and aware of that little scam...

4. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always feel like the defender of the cabbies here. There's no need to assume you're going to be ripped off, or to bark "no tunnel!" the second you get in the cab. That's not even a complete sentence.

I get in the cab, smile (because I'm on vacation!), ask the guy how's he's doing, and then say "[Hotel name]--take the city streets, please." I've never been longhauled doing this. If you are longhauled, well then I suppose you have the right to get upset--but you're on vacation! Don't let it ruin your first day. Your tip (or lack thereof) can reflect your knowledge that you've been scammed. But again, don't assume this is going to happen.

The vast majority of the cabbies I've had have ranged from acceptable (i.e., they don't say much but get me where I want to go) to very friendly and talkative. I think I've had one or two "bad apples," total. It is not an easy job. There are times during the year when they don't make much money at all, and other times when they're swamped.

Anyway, the most important thing is--enjoy your trip!

5. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suppose it's wrong to assume you will be long hauled, but I've taken cabs twice in Vegas. And was long hauled both times.

I like having a rental, so pretty sure I won't be in another cab in Vegas.

What I would like to see is everybody that gets long hauled, to have the taxi authority's number, and tell the driver he can leave with nothing, or wait and see what the taxi authority thinks they should pay. That would slow it down a lot.

But I'm guilty of not wanting a confrontation, while my wife was standing there waiting to start her birthday trip. So I paid.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very well stated!

7. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100% agreed. That's what I do or just tell them which road to take. Most of the time I tell them to go Flamingo to the Strip because I like to take the Strip in and get myself pumped up on the way to the hotel

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saying "no tunnel" should be enough. You could say to take Swenson or "city streets" to avoid being driven all the way up LV Blvd. The fare should be no more than $20.

9. melbedewy

melbedewy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smarten up and take the shuttle. Stop feeding the sharks.

10. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shuttles aren't the end all be all either...especially since it can take quite a bit of time to get there.

11. amyanderson2511

amyanderson2511 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much for all your replies, guys! Though we considered getting a shuttle, we have a lot of bags and think jumping in a cab will just be easier for us. It probably wouldn't save us all that much money anyway so we're happy to pay.

It's great to hear that it should cost us around $20 or less....last time we were there it cost nearly double that - I guess our strong Scottish accents are a giveaway that we don't know the area! I'm sure most cabbies are honest but it's always good to politely tell them which route you'd like them to take (we usually do this at home anyway!) to avoid any issues.

Thanks again, we are SO excited for Vegas!

12. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Treat yourself and get a LIMO, the $60 is worth it , after all you will be in VEGAS :)

13. ND80

ND80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly my thoughts. A limo just adds to the experience. Especially for the OP. Coming from Scotland involves a very long flight. One you get here, let someone pamper you.

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depending on the time of day, and the shape you are in, the tunnel may not be bad.

We came in on saturday evening and a long flight. I hate stop and go traffic. We tolk the cabbie to take the tunnel/freeway which dumps you off just behind the Mirage. No red lights. No stop and go. No strip traffic. Just rest.

Worth it to us in that situation.

15. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Especially if he paid $40 last time. With a limo, you can have them take you by the Welcome to Las Vegas sign for pictures, hit the liquor store for normally-priced spirits, and arrive to your destination in style and comfort!

16. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This place kills me. Non stop hatred on cab drivers sometimes justified, sometimes not for long hauling. Then tell people to take a $60 three mile limo ride which costs more than getting long hauled instead.

17. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is pretty much what I do. After a couple dozen trips, I have it down to a routine -- I generally start by saying how happy I am to be "back in town", and then something along the lines of, "Mandalay Bay, we're not going to see the highway, right?" or "Aria, Swenson to Harmon is probably best, don't you think?". Usually they just agree. The only time I get more aggressive than that is when the driver does; for example, I once had a guy start screaming at me about telling him how to do his job, at which point I just told him flat-out that I wanted him to go a certain route.

18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:

Well said - regarding the limo thing.

Then to add to that, most people will also tip the driver $20. LOL!!!

19. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To the OP...........tell him no tunnel otherwise you'll go William Wallace on him.

20. RM777

RM777 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I almost spit out my coffee hahahahaha.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.