1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots Slot machine etiquettte

Discussion in 'Slots' started by JWBlue, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't play a lot of slot machines.

My last trip this past week I decided to play one. I sat down and received a text message from someone and replied. About 30 seconds had passed by since I sat down.

A girl who I had never seen in my life walks up to me and asks if I am going to play. I said yes. She says that she was playing at that machine a few minutes ago and went to the ATM to get more cash so she could play again.

What should I have done?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a slot player, but my guess is that she should've tilted the chair up against the machine sort of like some do at a bar...

3. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. Or she could have asked a slot attendant do it. I always tilt my chair if i need to run to the restroom.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well if she would've paid the extra $12.50 for early boarding, she couldda kept the seat... oh wait, wrong thread. I don't know about proper slot "etiquette", but I think if she was nice (or hot) I'd happily move, especially since I knew little time had transpired. If she was a snatch about it and/or quite a bit of time had passed, I probably wouldn't... actually... I probably still would. I'm not into meaningless confrontations. I prefer to dig in on things that matter.

5. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    fuck that bitch as i would say. This is coming from me tho....

6. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    was she cute , you know what ive would have said, :nworthy::peace:

also if you lost ask her for your money back:thumbsup:

f them

hit her with the rthym stick

7. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd go with "sorry I am going to play for awhile" response.

8. kayden

kayden Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say "i'm sorry but I didn't know you were here, and now I am about to play". Can you imagine if you vacated it for her and then she won big? It's not like she would share the winnings with you or anything.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Were there other machines right next to it that were open? If there were i dont know what the fuss was about, why didnt she play those? If not then it's busy and there is even less reason to let her in.

10. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She could have left her card in and put a napkin over the screen.

It would depend on her attitude. I might give it up, if I didn't care. If that machine, called your name, stick around.

You had no obligation to leave.

Since she had to go for more money, the machine wasn't a winner.

11. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slot players do tend to have favorite machines.

She really should have called for a slot attendant to hold the machine for her, that's what I do if I'm playing a machine I like and need a bathroom break.

I've sat at nearby machines and waited for a player to bust out on a machine I wanted to play.

In your situation, if it was a machine I didn't care about (or in your case, you said you don't really play slots), I'd have given it up. Every personal encounter in life doesn't have to be some sort of transaction with a winner and a loser.

12. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Protocol calls for a player to tilt up the chair and to return within a short period of time. Honoring a tilted chair is purely voluntary. This can matter if the machine is unique, or if it's a full pay video poker game, but for the vast majority of slots in Vegas one machine is as good as another. I would have apologized, politely mentioned the chair tilt protocol, and then moved to another machine.

13. Kickin

Kickin Flea

How do you tilt a chair on a slot machine? Aren't they usually on a fixed pedestal?

It sounds like you hadn't started playing yet, in that case I probably would've just let her have the machine. But if I was already deep into playing I'm not sure what I would do.

I just find it weird that someone would ask you that in the first place. I couldn't imagine ever going up to someone and asking them to get off of a machine. Even if they ask nicely it seems unnecessarily aggressive. I think there's a good chance that someone who does that is probably an asshole in life in general.

14. Blueberries

Blueberries Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't trust people, for all I know she just wanted this specific machine. She should have called an attendant or left a credit on the machine and asked a follower gambler to watch it.
    I have my favorites and usually won't play other machines so if one of the few I enjoy opens up, it's now mine and I think it rude that she'd say something, I would never do that to another person.
    I myself, earlier in the day, have probably put money into that same machine and I would like to win my money back too :)

15. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not sure how being negative or surly to the returning(?) player would help you in playing the machine. It never helps me in video poker as the karma gods kill me slowly. As you were reporting on yourself as a non-slot player, what the hey (her next line could have been something like "wanna party tonight?" and then what.....

16. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I hadn't put money in yet, I would let her have the machine.

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obviously this was her lucky machine, that's why she had to hit the ATM.:evillaugh:evillaugh

18. Blueberries

Blueberries Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if this applies to Table Games. I'm thinking etiquette would be the same? I get up to get more money but don't ask to have my chair watched, and the person who takes my chair at the Black Jack Table kindly understands it's my chair and leaves as I request.
    I really don't know because I don't customarily play Table games, but I would assume what's good for the Goose is good for the Gander and etiquette is the same?

19. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't left a table game to get more money, but I have left for short 10-15 minute breaks. The dealers usually save your spot.

20. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It wasn't saved so it's your machine to play ot let her have it back. She will play clost by and wait till you lave so she can get back on. That;s what I've done when there is a machine I want.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.