1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best way to get from McCarran to Downtown

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by rotweiler, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rotweiler

rotweiler Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

We are staying at the Plaza in September and wondered if anyone had any cool, low cost or just plain crazy ideas about ways to get from the airport (and back) to a downtown hotel. Is a taxi from the airport still the quickest and easiest? What is the cheapiest? Does anyone offer a cheap limo collection service? Let me know what you have done and what it cost.

Thanks

2. gregluvsvegas

gregluvsvegas Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The dirt cheapest way to get from McCarran to DT is the RTC (city bus) Westcliff Airport Express (WAX) or Centennial Express (CX) bus. $2 fare each way. The drop off heading DT is in front of Walgreens which is 4 blocks from the Plaza. The pickup to the airport is the bus stop between Binion's and the Fremont which is 2 blocks from the Plaza.

I used to be a big fan of the shuttles (Showtime, Bell-Trans, etc.) which cost around $20 round trip. After a couple of bad experiences and delays, I find the bus a better option because they keep a tighter schedule.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hands down the WAX if you don't mind the 4 block walk to the Plaza. $2 and probably as fast as a cab. It only makes two stops before downtown. Most of the WAX buses have luggage racks.

4. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WAX is the cheapest.
    How many people in your group? I've used Las Vegas transportation several times for their Sedan (1 - 3 ppl) and find it reasonable. it's $35 + a couple of fees. under $50 w/ tip. A 7 person limo is $45 + the extras.

I prefer the sedan/limo over the cab because I don't have to wait in a cab line, I know up front what I'm paying, and the ride is much nicer/cleaner/etc.

http://www.lasvegastransportation.com

5. melbedewy

melbedewy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely the shuttle for us. $10. You don't have to wait an hour for the bus and you don't have to lug your baggage up and down Fremont. And you sure won't get long-hauled for a $30++ ripoff.

6. ultima-forsan

ultima-forsan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best way would be by jetpack or by helicopter if you can afford.

Maybe teleportation in few years if it comes available.

:rolleyes2:

7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're staying at MSS and planning to try the bus for the first time on our next trip.

8. reen1962

reen1962 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The WAX is a great way to get to downtown. If you haven't tried it, I suggest you do. You have to go down a level from luggage claim. I believe the escalators are right by the taxi doors. Look for the bus signs. Make sure you get on the right bus. It will say WAX and ask the driver if it is the one going to downtown.

It's Been Too Long 'Ol Friend! :-)
  9. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do a little internet research on WAX departure times so you'll know which one to look for on your arrival. The only bad thing is waiting for the right bus, not getting on the SDX or the local which clearly says 'Downtown.' Don't bother with the ticket machine at the airport bus stop; if it works (which it never does) it would charge three bucks instead of the two bucks the driver takes.

10. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took the WAX on my last trip. It was cheap, quick, and pretty empty on a Saturday afternoon. I did have to wait a bit but it was fine. If I go to MSS at the end of August I will be taking the WAX.

11. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I caught the 10:51 a.m. WAX at Binion's enroute to McCarran 3 days ago.

I had it timed just right (20 min. to spare ) for checking my bag outside for SWA.

Well............

Something changed.

Instead of going to Terminal 1 first, it went to Terminal 3 first & paused for 15 minutes before driving to Terminal 1.

This is NOT on the schedule.

The trip took 50 min instead of about 35.

I'm using the WAX again, but now aware to ad 15-20 min on trip to McCarran.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I notice below the Southbound schedule it says,"Trips are scheduled to arrive at Terminal 1 two to four minutes prior
    to arriving at Terminal 3." So I would have thought it goes to Terminal 1 first.

13. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't take a shuttle unless your by yourself. You can get a cab for the same price and without the huge hassle of the stops. I made this mistake once, never again.

14. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ty, I would agree with you that it SHOULD go to Terminal 1 first.

Maybe it will next time.

I am just relating what happened. Some of the passengers were getting very antsy after about 10 minutes. The driver was being polite, but just telling us that " I'm just doing it the way that they told me to do it."

I'm not being negative at all. I really appreciate the bus system. I'm just relaying the info, so others won't be late.

15. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's the best way for a taxi to get back to the airport from downtown? Highway, or no highway? I have to be there at about 5:30am for a 7:30am flight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.