1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why, yes, PDX, you do have usurious car rental rates

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every time I go to rent a car at PDX I'm floored. I can't think of a market we frequent that has higher prices, and I mean HIGH.

A four-day rental next month, through Costco, is $575. No thanks. Hell, I have a rental held for this fall in Canada, for three times as many days and it's $200 less. I'll just take MAX downtown, rent from Budget there and get the same car for $172.

2. eviliciouz

eviliciouz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Portland, yes we have crazy high car rental prices. I think because they want people to take the max which is not convenient for everybody. Convenient for people who are staying in downtown.

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless Metro is subsidizing downtown rentals to the tune of hundreds per pop ...

If this was a day rental, I'd just rent at the terminal (don't really like off-site there) because the absolute amount wouldn't be that much coin, really. But for four Bens, hail light rail. Plus MAX is easy for this gig and I have the time. Rental agency is two blocks from a stop, so you'll see me rolling by the old Meier & Frank building with my clubs, out to Milwaukie for my reunion, back to Vista for the night, over to Bend the next morn. And I'm not bound up on time with the return flight so the drop while not convenient ain't a deal killer.

4. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem started this year when they passed the $6/day facility charge but didn't adjust the facility tax and county tax. That and August is the busiest tourist month for Portland so expect highest daily rate charges if you aren't making the contract with a corp/rewards/or prepriced contract ID.

OP were you able to score any deals on a hotel? August hotel rack rates are what leave me surprised.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the downtown rate was very fair. It's just a thing at PDX.

Don't need a room. I'm a recovering Oregonian/Portlander and I still have family up there. It's just a one-nighter before going to Bend for golf.

6. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The PDX thing started when the realization came that it's going to cost $25 million to replace the 25 year old facilities area where they fuel, clean etc. the cars.

If you have more time to kill and/or are super frugal you can continue the rail to Beaverton. That will avoid the Multnomah County tax of 17.0%.

If you make Bend a regular thing look into flights to Redmond. Alaska seems to have great rates there.

7. NurseLisa

NurseLisa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is an Enterprise rental place just off I-205 and Woodstock. you could cab there for pretty cheap. Or I tihnk Enterprise will pick you up (though probably not from the airport) so have them come get you at IKEA! We have to do what we can Ken to "Keep Portland Weird"

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd not be going through the Rose City if not for my reunion, I would have gone straight into RDM. But, it's also been a few millennia since I drove over Hood so will enjoy reconnecting and a bud's coming in to PDX as he's never been to Oregon and wants to check out the scenery, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.