1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping usher to accommodate seat requests?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by M_ILIS, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Today I bought a Jabbawockeez ticket through the Travelzoo deal ($49 total) and then got two more comped from MyVegas. Despite the best efforts of the MyVegas phone rep, the computer wouldn't let him get them in the same exact row as the other ticket I had already purchased. So now I have two tickets that are four rows behind my other single ticket. Worst-case scenario, we'll sit this way, but I have this glamorous "Old Vegas" notion of tipping the usher, where he'll work it out and get us good seats together. Is this a possibility? How much would you suggest I tip?

2. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well its reserved seats if somebody has the other seats theres nothing u can do, if there empty just move into them its that simple, me i would just sit in my original seats nothing worse than you sitting in somebody elses seats and they come in 15 minutes late and you have to get up and move its only 90 minutes of you life you will be apart.it personaly dont find it a big deal some people might , some might get more pissed if you disturbe the whole show by not being in your right seats

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I had two seats for Carrot Top that were not together. I talked to the usher, said we wanted to sit together and didn't care where the seats were and asked if there was anything he could do for us. The usher took great care of us. I went to tip him but he said it wasn't necessary. I tipped him anyway and eventually we were seated front row center. We got lucky. The odds are very good the usher will be able to accommodate your request for $5 or $10. There are always some seats reserved for high rollers that rarely show up. Someone has to sit in them.

4. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely tip him, if they can accommodate you.

I went to Zumanity with tickets a few rows from the front. Asked the usher to help find my seat. When he looked at our tickets I mentioned I'd like to sit in the front row if it was available for an upgrade, pulled a $20, usher looked down and walked us to front row center, I gave a handshake with the $20. Of course this was a rare instance, but like Snidely and I have experienced it's definitely worth inquiring about. If you aren't getting upgraded I'd agree with the $5/$10.

5. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at a fight at Mandalay Bay a while back. We were in one of the upper sections and the section below us was almost empty. We gave the usher $40 (there were 6 of us) and asked if we could move down. No problem.

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do this every chance I get. The more important it is for you to be closer, the bigger the tip. I usually just slide a $5 and see what it gets me. At Jubilee! it got me in the 2nd row of little tables at the front. If a showgirl fell over we could have been killed!

7. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jabba never sold out with a 20$ tip they will hook you up for sure

8. Mandiferous

Mandiferous Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I saw the show they ended up moving everyone up to closer seats anyway. I was in one of the back sections and ended up 4th row from the stage. I don't imagine it will be difficult for you all to end up sitting together.

9. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should add it's still a gamble and if you really need a good group of seats you're best to buy the ones you want in advance.

10. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Jersey Boys" used to move people up routinely at no charge. We have also received room location improvements at V/P just by asking. Adelson seems to dislike the Vegas tradition of staff receiving gratuities for favors.

11. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saving money on shows

Will getting low cost seats and then tipping the box office person a ten and ask for better seats work- or should I just bite the bullet and get good seats to start out with?

12. Gutzy

Gutzy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have 6 tickets for LOVE from MyVegas so we are towards the top. Will this work for LOVE or not?

13. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It might be hard to find 6 seats togehter to upgrade you , works much easier for party of 1 or 2

14. feeltheheat

feeltheheat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No reason to sit apart. I wouldnt want to sit away from my party. Tip the user, he/she will take care of you. I think $5 to $10 are ok.
    Have fun!!!

15. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How would an usher know if front row seats aren't all taken? That would be a major faux pas methinks! Wouldn't the ticket people have a better idea if front row seats are still available?

16. Annie Vegas

Annie Vegas Low-Roller

The best experience I had with tipping was "maitre'd seating" at Don Rickles on my first trip to Vegas at the Desert Inn (yes that long ago). He was one of our faves and I was so excited to see him, my SO tipped the maitre'd $20 and she took us to the middle of the room. Another $20 got us front row.

17. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They always have seats reserved for high-rollers or others, Horseshoe booths for example. $20 per couple still buys a good amount of goodwill, especially with ushers who are walking people who are unaware that tipping buys better seating or perfectly happy with their assigned seats. MaƮtre d seating, $20 for a couple will get you good seats. For a large group, maybe $40 or a $50. Unless it was a show at Plaza, I would not suggest only $10.

18. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, I'm back from my trip to report on how this went. I have to say I don't think it could have gone much better! When we were shown into the theater, the usher asked for our tickets and I pointed out that we were in two different rows. I was holding the tickets plus a 10 dollar bill and asked him if there was any way we would be able to sit all together. He said something about one of the ushers being able to move people, and instructed all three of us to temporarily go sit in the row where we had two seats. Just a few minutes later, he motioned to me to come talk to him, and informed me that they'd found us some different seats. He wrote the seat locations on the back of one of our tickets in a black Sharpie and steered us down toward the front section. I handed him the $10 bill and he said something to the effect of, "Oh you don't need to do that, but thank you very much." It turned out our seats were in the second row, just barely left of center. Considering our original seats were all in the last 10 rows of the theater, I considered it a huge success.

Thanks for everyone's advice and comments in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.