1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Annie: The (Once) Stray Cat VMB Helped Convince Me to Keep

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by thecarve, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About two years ago, I came to this board asking advice. My sister had just found what we assumed was a stray cat and was begging me to keep it (her cats did not care for the newcomer).

Thanks to the great advice, encouragement and kind words you guys gave me, I decided to keep her. And I could not be happier about how everything has turned out. At the risk of sounding like a crazy cat lady (well, crazy cat guy), I don’t know what I’d do without the little girl now.

Her name is Annie. Though, due to the tenacity with which she insists on being fed each morning at 5:45, instead of waiting until 6:05 when the alarm goes off, she is just as often called “Badger”. She also gets called “Badgercat”, “The Annie-Badger”, “AB” or (if I’ve been rocking out to some old school Clapton/Cream) just “Badge”.

She is an incredibly sweet and friendly cat. She loves people and attention. And other than the incredible amount of cat hair she leaves everywhere and constant brushing she requires, she couldn’t be easier to take care of. She’s also ridiculously lazy – even by feline standards.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me out back then and give you guys the long overdue update and pictures that I promised. Better late than never, right?

These first pics are of her doing what she does best: chilling, relaxing, resting, hanging out, etc.

AB_crop.jpg AB1_crop.jpg AB2_crop.jpg AB3_crop.jpg AB4_crop.jpg

This one is my favorite. You might have noticed by now that Annie is a bit…Rubenesque. Well this picture was taken after she had to have some minor surgery to remove four teeth (vet reckons she didn’t get proper nutrition as a kitten). The last thing the vet told me before I took her home after the surgery was, “she won’t have an appetite tonight, but make sure you get her to eat something if she hasn’t eaten in the next 24 hours or so”. This pic was taken five minutes after returning home!

AB5_crop.jpg

This is Annie on the 4th of July. I live about a half mile from the park where the city’s fireworks show takes place. Needless to say, she doesn’t care for the noise it creates.

AB6_crop.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! Great Post!!! We're cat "people" too... I get it!!!

3. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great pics! It's always nice to see another person "converted" :)

4. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

We took in a stray cat who was eating out of our garbage can as a youngster.
    She became the greatest + smartest cat we ever owned.
    Lived at my Mom's house for 15 years.
    Used to sleep on top of my mother when my Mom took her afternoon naps.
    If my mother began a conversation - the cat would reach out a paw and put it
    over my mother's lips - to silence her- "Hey !..it's nap time...quiet,please ."
    The cat would also eat tuna out of the can using her paw.....then lick her paw.
    She knew what time I would arrive home after work.
    Used to walk out to the driveway + greet me at my truck.
    Hey....I know all about how you feel !!!!!!!

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She is gorgeous and I'm glad you are happy you welcomed her into your home!

I turned my husband into a cat person. Well, the stray who adopted us turned him into a cat person. He now looks at funny cat videos online and everything :thumbsup: And Nugget (named after a variety of hops my husband grows) is spoiled rotten! But she's a good hunter so she's earned her place in the household. At the top of the food chain, of course, and we're her servants.

Never pass up the opportunity to share cat photos:ssst: IMG_1462.jpg

6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think your Nugget has a distant cousin up here in Minnesota
    C883A509-E58B-4E18-B807-C25542624E43_zpsavxi9nc3.jpg

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That MN twin looks like a bruiser! But pretty relaxed ;-)

8. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh yeah, Izzy is a strong cat, but he's just trying to stand up for all polydactyls out there

9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a cute cat! Looks like a Maine Coon kind of.

I'm currently not on speaking terms with either of my cats, but I get the love. My siamese, Frankie (Actually Frank Sinatra for those blue eyes), came into the bed this morning for some cuddles. I thought, "Oh, how sweet." Until I touched the dead rodent he brought with him. UGH!!! CATS! :wink2:

10. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm so please you decided to keep her. She looks fab!

I used to have 5 cats, but am down to two, mother and daughter now. The mother was also a stray and she has had multiple health issues that our vet put down to her bad nutrition growing up, and having kittens young. It can be expensive, but the love you get from them is priceless.

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She's gorgeous. I'm glad you guys stayed together.

12. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is very sweet. I am usually more of a dog person, but any cat that can relax like that is OK by me :thumbsup:

13. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    what a gorgeous baby....so glad you are happy that you kept her. I have one that feels the need to bat me in the face every morning "to feed her"...even though there is still food in her dish (i rescued her 2 years ago from a place that had 3 dogs and 18 cats) and now she only has 2 others to race to the food dish with :)

14. maxnew40

maxnew40 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You earned some major good Karma by providing a good home for the cat.

-Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.