1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My most expensive airport drink!!!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't like being rushed so we normally get to the airport 2 hours ahead of the flight and have a couple of drinks in a bar. I am used to overpriced airport drinks, but this one shocked me. We went to Casa Del Agave at Seatac (Seattle). I ordered a house Merlot, the large size. Usually at the airports we frequent, that is usually $10-$12. They charged $19.50 and I had two of them, before I knew the price.:cry: When I commented to the bartender about the price, she said that is the only one they carry and I should have warned you about the price.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the Super Bowl Champ Town vig!

3. Landshark

Landshark Way into it...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most expensive airport drink I ever had was in Cancun at Margaritaville. It was a big-ass Margarita, no price on the menu, but I was already pretty toasted and thinking "hey, can't be THAT much."

It was that much. To the tune of around $27.00 x 2. Ouch.

4. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably more than the whole bottle cost.. Plenty of guys in airports dont care what the drinks cost, just put it on the ole expense acct and give me another one.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm retired so no account. Like I stated, I am used to airport prices, but this one caught me by surprise!

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never knew my home airport had a restaurant that charged this much :eek: You might be better off paying for lounge access at the Alaska Air Boardroom (which is where I go) and getting free beers and house wines.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been to Seattle 3 years in a row now in July and it's time to take a break and go somewhere else. We'd like to try Vancouver next year, but no direct flights, so I don't know.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You guys find any fun eats?? You guys take your clubs? (Buddy of mine went by PING recently while in Phoenix. I've been telling him about it for eons. Did the tour and a fitting. About five days later a box showed up at his place. He went soup to nuts, I tell you, 14 clubs! I asked him why he didn't replace his Titleist-branded bag at that point. lol)

You're retired, Joe, you can change planes!! Time is on your side. :thumbsup:

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Three new places we tried. Daniel's Broiler on South Lake Union, overlooking the boats on their outside patio, Mama's Mexican on 2nd Ave, downtown. and Paddy Coyne's on Pier 70.

Lowell's and Assaggio and of course we had to get some Beecher's mac & cheese. A couple of their 160 Brews at the Taphouse. There were some others for drinks and apps but I can't remember them.

Regarding the travel. I really don't want to waste an entire day traveling and to me, 9 hrs is wasting an entire day. The return flight from Seattle was non-stop to Milwaukee, then the rest of the people were on to Kansas City and finally to Houston. Just shoot me if I have to fly like that.:poke:

We didn't take clubs but my wife wanted to go camera shopping at Glazer's camera, so I got a chance to visit the Museum of Flight. Very nice.:thumbsup: I got to go into the Shuttle trainer; an older Air Force One and the Concord. Lots of walking but a great day, plus all the WWI & WWII exhibits etc. One bus from downtown Seattle to the museum. $2.25.

10. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't remember the prices, but my ass still hurts from the pouding the Salt Lake City airport gave me. I should have known.

No reason to go home yet.
  11. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not just take the train from Seattle to Vancouver or rent a car? Vancouver is a fantastic city, I love the Granville Island Public Market. I highly recommend Whistler during the summer months.. fantastic scenery and decently priced resorts. Whistler is great if you're outdoorsy... kayaking, biking, running, etc.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lotso, lazy at the moment. Car pretty much out of the question, but what train? Amtrak? if we flew into SEA, where would we get it?

13. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fly into SEA, take a taxi or the light rail into the downtown area. Depending on the time of day you arrive, overnight before taking the train into Vancouver the following morning. The train is called the Amtrak Cascades train. They do a passport check at check-in and at the border, so make sure you have a valid passport with you. Also, Business Class isn't worth the additional cost for a short train ride.

I'm not sure what kind of hotels you stay at but there are some decent choices in the city. I highly recommend one of the Fairmonts (Pacific Rim>Waterfront>Hotel Vancouver) .

14. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I was going to suggest the train to Vancouver from Seattle as well. You catch the train in Downtown Seattle next to the football stadium (its about $40 per person each way) and it takes you to the edge of Downtown Vancouver.

There is also a ferry you can catch from Seattle to Victoria, BC... could then see that city (our province's capital) and then take a ferry to Vancouver.

I've done the round trip before where we live in Vancouver, take the ferry to Victoria, spend a few days there, take the ferry to Seattle, a few days there and then train back to Vancouver.

15. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't want to go too off topic but is Victoria worth a visit? I've considered taking the ferry there multiple times..

16. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a Seattle/Vancouver trip October 2011. I took the Amtrak Cascades from Seattle to Vancouver. It was a very pleasant train ride. The train was not full, so I had two seats to myself. There is some nice scenery along the way and the cars have large windows. There was a snack car for light fare and beverages. Yes, you do need a passport - Customs will come onto the train near the border to check.
    If you use public transit, the Amtrak stations in both Seattle and Vancouver are conveniently located:
    1) In Seattle, the Central Link Light Rail has a stop at Int'l District/Chinatown. From there, it is a short walk on a pedestrian bridge to the King Street Amtrak Station.
    2) In Vancouver, the Vancouver Pacific Central Amtrak station is a short walk to the Main Street-ScienceWorld Sky Train stop.

The train ride is about 4 to 4.5 hours. The train departs Seattle at 7:20am or 6:50pm. The train departs Vancouver at 6:20am or 5:45pm.
    There are also buses operated by Amtrak that make the trip between Seattle and Vancouver, but I don't think that would be as nice of an experience as the train.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And Joe, you need to get up that way with your sticks some time. Around Puget Sound, over the 49th parallel.

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly, my clubs are collecting cobwebs in the garage.:cry: Back issues have flared up again. After 3 back surgeries in the last 20 years, I don't want to push it.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She can play then. You can drive the cart, clean her clubs, hand her drinks!

Bummer. :(

20. maxnew40

maxnew40 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Victoria, most of the town is easily walkable, and we did not rent a car.

-Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.