1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Canceled flight need to grrrrrr

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by asti, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asti

asti Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So Delta have decided that the last leg of my flights no longer exists on the day we travel home. And the alternative flight leaves Atlanta before we get there...And... Opodo could not sort any alternative today as ticketing was not open so i need to call again tomorrow.

I have a feeling that I am going to be told to leave Vegas a few hours earlier (ie around 7am instead of 11am) so I can catch the Amsterdam flight to have yet another connection to Manchester. Is it me or does this seem wholly unacceptable - to have an extra leg added onto the flight

When I booked it is actually with Virgin but code shares with Delta. Searches have shown that the Atlanta-Manchester flight still exists on the following day and Virgin Atlantic has a flight Vegas to Gatwick then Heathrow to Manchester, still a pain but to me a lesser pain that an extra Amsterdam leg and a stupid early morning checkout.

Anyone had this happen to them? any suggestions?

2. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Call Virgin and see what they can do for you. When this happens they're usually pretty accommodating. They should be able to re-route you without any sort of change fees.

So your normal route is Manchester to Vegas on Virgin, right?

What dates?

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Opodo? The best thing to do after booking your flight is deal with the airline...

Call the airline directly and tell them that the new times are unacceptable. Go into it knowing what flights that you want, flight numbers, times, etc and tell them that you want those specific routes. If you leave it to them, they will give you whatever is cheapest for them that you will accept.

I've had this happen with Delta before. As long as you are adamant that the changes go against the reason your book that flight originally (times or fare class) they will work with you.

4. asti

asti Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Originally booked... Manchester to Los Angeles via Atlanta 27th Septembr- that is all still fine (at the moment)
    Return..10th October Las Vegas to Atlanta , 11am VS4024 operated by Delta, DL2203
    Atlanta to Manchester 19:18 operated by Delta DL64

Thanks for the suggestion of going in armed with flight numbers and times :) I'll see what they come up with.

It seems a common theme for use, Last year coming back from Kansas, US air decided we wanted to sit in Dublin for 6 hours- that was fun (not) (debit cards are wonderful things when you forget that Ireland used Euros lol)

5. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as I can tell, all delta flights to west coast USA go via Amsterdam (on klm for the 40 minute hop there) now. I did this journey once, it's not such a big deal but I have used other carriers since for convenience.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  6. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See if you can go LAS-LAX-MAN and cut Delta out of the loop or perhaps connect through one of the NYC airports

7. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The ticketing airline is the one that can make changes to an itinerary. If Delta is the ticketing and operating airline that cancelled your flight to Manchester then they're responsible for rerouting you back to Manchester. It's going to be easier if they reroute you on flights that are operated by their partner carriers (ex. SkyTeam and VA). If I were in your shoes, I would ask them for LAS-MAN on Virgin Atlantic (if it's running on your travel dates), or LAS-LGW/LHR-MAN on Virgin Atlantic. If they say no then ask them to reroute you on another airline such as United via EWR or US Air via PHL.

8. asti

asti Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    waiting for a call back to confirm LAS-LDW/LHR-MAN she said " but you need to change airports" - that's ok we'd rather have a ride on Gatwick Express (or whatever) than the 5 hrs stuck inside alternative you just given us. (LAS-ATL-LHR-MAN) with a short connection in Atlanta and about 6 hrs at Heathrow. Lets see what happens when they call back

9. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked my recent May trip late last year with Expedia, it was Manchester UK to Vegas via Atlanta and back the same route and the times were good. A week after booking I got an e mail from Expedia saying there had been a change to the return flight and when I looked at what they give me it was something of a tour of airports. Vegas to Atlanta then Atlanta to London Heathrow, then Heathrow to Paris and finally Paris to Manchester, yes that's right I fly into the UK then fly to France to then fly back into the UK. I rang Expedia and the guy I spoke to repeated the route to me and then asked me if this was not happy with it, anyway after some negotiation and some route via Salt Lake City was mentioned and declined I did manage to get something acceptable which was pretty much the same as the original booking albeit with some altered timings. But when I did the original booking I then tried to book seats via the Delta website and it let me book my outward flights but not my return which made me suspect the flight times in the original booking didn't exist.

10. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recommend taking the shuttle bus instead of the Gatwick and Heathrow Express.

11. asti

asti Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to update we are now booked Vegas to Gatwick, Heathrow to Manchester :) not ideal but at least the mobility impaired nicotine addict elderly (eep hopes she dont read this lol) gets some outside time for a ciggy or 3 rather than being trapped inside a departure lounge in Amsterdam for abut 6 hours

Lotso- bear, been googling we are going to prebook a minicab been quoted as little as £50 for the trip which is not too bad and easier than the shuttle bus for the elderly :)

12. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear that they were able to get you on LAS-LGW, LHR-MAN. I think the transfer at London will be better than another flight since it gives you a breather. How much of a connection time you have?

13. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be prepared for delays.
    We did LAS-LGW then LHR-MAN in December last year. The Virgin Red flight is operated by Aer Lingus. Our flight was delayed twice, then cancelled, then rearranged.

We had to wait at LHR for about 5 hours before we finally got to MAN. I was supposed to have assisted transfers due to mobility issues, they were not provided. Our onward travel arrangements (We live in the Lakes) were missed because of the delays. I eventually got free taxi transfer from the airport to the train station we would have arrived at several hours earlier. Make sure you cover all the bases. They will try their best to get out of it.

If you can change to a flight that gets you indirectly to MAN via a US airport, I would go with that. LGW/LHR transfers take forever.

14. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I said in my last post about Expedia trying to send me around a tour of airports, when I spoke to the Expedia guy he gave me a few alternatives that were all 2 stopovers, when I told him I had booked 1 stop and that's all I wanted to do he then try to change my return date and cut my holiday short, anyway I got what I was happy with in the end but they gave me all sorts of crap flights back and when I refused them I was offered a route via Atlanta which was what I booked in the first place.

15. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time I flew through AMS they had smoking lounges all over. Not the case anymore?

16. asti

asti Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got 6 and a half hours (and maybe a friend willing to play taxi driver we never know our luck :) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.