1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

"Vegas Nocturne" Leaving Cosmo.

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Blonde_4_ever, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. When I was out there last month, during a convention at Cosmo, they were offering convention-goers steeply discounted tickets.

3. maxnew40

maxnew40 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is sad news to me. I had planned on going to this show on my August trip , but it may no longer be running by then. :-(

-Max

- - - Updated - - -

That is sad news to me. I had planned on going to this show on my August trip , but it may no longer be running by then. :-(

-Max

4. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps it will re-surface in another location.

5. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    to bad great show, they tightend up on the free late shows for locals so i figured the where doing better i guess not.

i might have to go again to 7.30 and 9.30 as i still get free tics for those shows for the last time , maybe a vmb good by party

6. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found the show entertaining and a nice compliment to the hotel. The retail price point of tickets may have been overvalued however. Was actually looking forward to it again with friends in the future. Not sure what, if anything will take its place? On the upside I won't have to explain what Rose Rabbit Lie & Nocturne are to people anymore.

7. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aww man I'm bummed! I had no idea what it was until reading a review of it before my recent trip. Unfortunately I was getting my butt kicked so badly on gambling most of the trip that I didn't even consider it. Then when I had a decent win to put me back in the black it was too close to the end of my trip, I already had free Zarkana tickets, and I didn't want to take up what would be one of my last nights stuck in a show. Now I wish I had! Boooo!

8. Chrissy723

Chrissy723 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have tickets for this July 25th. No mention of "how" shortly from now it is closing.

9. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How is this earthly possible? Wasn't Cosmo designed to cater to the club going, money splurging crowd that is now running Las Vegas?

10. maxnew40

maxnew40 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is going to happen to the venue Rose.Rabbit.Lie? Is it going away also?

-Max

11. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would be a shame to trash the interior of there as the decor is great in there.

12. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The article says possibly SLS Las Vegas.

13. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out, because it's a beautiful space, but I'm not sure it really works simply as a bar/restaurant without the performance aspect (and I mean the random performers, not the ticketed sit-down show).

14. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe they can bring back "The Act" nightclub. I was bummed I didn't get a chance to see it before it got closed down. Sounded like a great concept!

15. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lest we forget, Absinthe shut down for a while as well. Yet, it's still around.

Bill

16. singerdon

singerdon Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah....I have 5 tickets for all 3 Cantos on Aug 2.....hope a refund is forthcoming if it closes before then....

singerdon

17. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is not at all surprising. They were doomed from the start.

Nobody really knew what it was. The ads were vague and simply said "Rose. Rabbit. Lie". For those who actually looked into it, it got even more confusing. Is it just a show? Is it dinner theater? Is it a restaurant with free entertainment? Is it a club that serves meals and has a show as completely separate entities? The target audience they're after is not going to go through the trouble of figuring this out, especially if they've already arrived in Vegas.

For those who DID do the research and figured it out, the price was a turn-off. $135-$170? That is a lot (and much more than Absinthe) for a show that, while good, doesn't have the "holy crap, that's incredible" feel to it (due mainly to them not having ceiling levels high enough for those kinds of acrobatics). Even here there would be questions. What comes with the $135? Just the show? Or dinner with the show? Oh, dinner is separate...so can I just go to the show without also having dinner there? What if I just want to go to the club part? Do I need to see the show to be let in? Why would I pay $135 for this show I'm not sure about when I can pay $99 for Absinthe, which I've heard from everyone I know is amazing?

Vegas Nocturne was dead man walking months before this was announced. Once deals for half-off tickets started appearing regularly on Groupon, Living Social, and TravelZoo, it signaled the beginning of the end. The venue only gets half of the Groupon sale (Groupon takes the other half), so they were effectively trying to fill the show with guests by accepting 1/4th the box office price. Hopefully getting them into the door got them to spend money on food and drink.

If they had just done a better job advertising and also priced the show more fairly (I'd say $75-$85 general admission, $99 VIP), they probably could have done well. How hard would it be to flood the taxi cab ads with images of some of the acts in the show followed by the text "Vegas Nocturne at Rose. Rabbit. Lie" and some catchy phrase at the end? Just imagine walking down the strip and seeing a taxi with a picture of some contortionist. Next taxi has a picture of some guy dressed in a dinosaur suit. Next taxi has a woman hanging from a giant clear ball. "What the heck is that show?" they'd ask each other. "Oh! It must be a new show! It's at the Cosmo!". And that's 4-6 people they just got to buy day-of-show tickets.

And the other thing they needed to do is to set up some dinner/show packages. One set price for a tasting menu + seat to the show ($250ish). And another VIP package where you get drinks prior to the first show, tickets to the first show, then the restaurant tasting menu, then the midnight canto, club access, and a keepsake souvenir ($375).

On the bright side, a move to SLS could maybe finally get them the advertising they need for the show to be a success.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  18. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

well they did do a ton of advertising, magizines, cabs, busstops ,everywhere and it wasnt general admision seating it was reserved and very small theater.

i also thought it was originaly over priced , i think instead of cantos it should have clearer and called shows that would have helped.

also drinks whereb 12-20 dollars so once the got you in there they made money people spent , they bar was full, i saw the shows and clubs a few times.

i think the overhead was realy expensive and alot of employes. i also thought its the wrong town in nyc it would be hit, as it can only survive on weekens in vegas, week days in vegas are soft every where

wish they would announce closing nite as i want to see it again before it closes i know there are a few differnt acts

pss, just saw abstinthe again, i, like the original version better.
    my parernts in there 70's perferferd rosie rabit over abstinthe

19. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was the advertising for Vegas Nocturne or for Rose. Rabbit. Lie. in general? I never really paid attention, but from what I saw, it was all Rose. Rabbit. Lie advertisements. I don't think I ever saw ads specifically for the show.

The original version of Absinthe was definitely better (before the we're-closing-oh-wait-we're-renewing-but-it's-so-late-some-of-our-acts-got-new-gigs-already fiasco). Still, the price is lower than Vegas Nocturne, it's branded well, and it hits highs like Vegas Nocturne never could.

20. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

funny they rieased the priced and put in more seatsv when they reopend abstinthe.

but the branding was for all including the nite club after midnite, as a local u coudnt get a weekly paper without a full color add, and mr piffles and puff started doing stuff also.

i admit it was very confusing from the start, what the hell is a cantos. but i belive wrong town for a great idea and very big overhead,

i think the cosmo is now branded its self with the slogan just the right amount of wrong or something like now

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.