1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving from Vegas to the View hotel Monument Valley

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by peddler, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peddler

peddler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi,
    We are coming to Vegas this November, After getting married and spending a few days on the strip we are set to drive to the view hotel in Monument Valley (6-7hours journey)

We have some question if anyone can help.

I am a very keen photographer, as this is our wedding/honeymoon we'd like as many amazing photos as we can get, does anyone know any great stop offs/diversions on the way or way back from monument valley to Vegas worth stopping with the camera??

What's the weather usually like in Vegas and Monument Valley in November???

Any other thing we need to know for the journey, any advice would be greatly appreciated

James. :drunk:

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which way are you going? Through Flagstaff or through St George. That northern route through St George is going to take you past Zion and Bryce Canyons, which are both beautiful.

Monument Valley is pretty "out there". Your hotel area is going to have a nice view of some of the towers, but they are all pretty far apart. You are going to get the "Vegas effect" out there where things seem a lot closer than they really are.

My suggestions? Slow down, enjoy all of it. And congratulations on your wedding!

3. mykidsdad

mykidsdad Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you go via southern route thru flagstaff you are about 1.5 hours from grand canyon.

4. peddler

peddler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many thanks for your reply Sonya,
    Looking at the map we could go North and return South. As I'm a keen photographer I could get frustrated because there will be so much to see. will there be much for us to see and photograph with an hour or 2 to spare, if so would you know where?? sorry for bombarding you with questions, I'm trying hard to research everything.
    Sonya, would you have an idea what the weather might be like in Vegas and MV in November?? We are wondering what clothes to buy and pack for the holiday. Also I'm wondering if it's safe driving around these places not knowing a great deal about the place??

kind regards.

James.

5. peddler

peddler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the reply. I don't think we need to drive that far because we plan to go there by helicopter. I will look up flagstaff though!
    Regards.
    James.

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's kind of what I was saying. There is so much to see and do on that route, I could fill a week just wandering around in that area.

Weather in November can be mixed. Are you from the UK? Not sure if I should give temps in F or C. :)

http://www.vegas.com/weather/averages.html
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/las-vegas-nv/89101/november-weather/329506

As you can see, there's a pretty big range of temps in November. In Vegas, it will usually be dry (some showers are possible) and temps 67° F (19° C) - 43° F (6° C).

You might run into some snow in the higher elevations like near North Rim of Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, etc. I got snowed in at Bryce Canyon one April, years ago. Wasn't expecting that. The mountain roads were a little dicey, but the interstates are kept clear, no need for chains.

If you are going the North route, don't go south at Hurricane. Since it's November, you can drive your private car (vs the shuttle bus) through Zion. DO IT!!! If weather is good and roads aren't icy, you will find a photographers paradise! The detour to Bryce after Zion, might be too long for your itinerary. You can't do the Narrows hike in winter, but maybe one of the shorter riverside hikes. Even just driving through will take you right past some of the greatest scenery.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/snow.htm

Just be careful with making your driving day too long. You've already got like 7-8 hours from Vegas and that last hour into Monument Valley always seems to take FOREVER.

Enjoy! And let us know how it goes!

7. peddler

peddler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, thank you for such a quick reply with so much info. Will have a look at these links. We are from the UK. can't wait to get out there with the camera, I think there's going to be so much to see we'll have to book a week or so just out in the desert. /looking at Zion through Google images looks like a photographers paradise!!!!
    Thanks again.

James.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oops... didn't finish my thought.

If you choose to come back via the southern route through Flagstaff, you can stop there. They have a nice downtown area for wandering and some tourist activities. Are you a fan of The Eagles? Because you could easily try "standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" as it's not far off your route, but it's not really "such a fine sight to see". :haha:

http://standinonthecorner.com/

Be sure to stop by the Hoover Dam on the way back too.

Gosh, now I wish I was coming with you. :)

9. peddler

peddler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha, thank you for the link, I think Zion looks so good we'll pass through there on the way and way back, as you say we already have 7+ hours drive before we stop off at places....... I do like the eagles but maybe not that much:confused2:

10. peddler

peddler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a quick question please Sonya if you don't mind, here in the UK our government funded tourist information shops and websites will give you as much info as you want and answer all emails with loads of info. I'm looking for something similar for the MV area, can't seem to find anything. Do you know a website where I can ask questions??

Thank you.

james

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think the hotel in MV should have some kind of concierge desk or someone who can help you with MV specific info.

Navajo Nation has a website that has a link where you can email questions - http://navajonationparks.org/htm/monumentvalley_op.htm

Also, I like TripAdvisor for looking for answers - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g57072-i3667-Monument_Valley_Utah.html

There is also a pretty good visitor center at the park, near the hotel that will have lots of maps and info on things to do while you're there if your hotel can't help you.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a big fan of not zipping by the awesome American West at breakneck pace, but sometimes circumstances dictate.

Weather. You can see the links, but the bottom line is ... it will be variable. It should be cool/chilly/cold depending on one's normal experiences, yet it could be very mild. It might also snow like a mother. You just need to be prepared and perhaps have to alter your plans, accordingly. You will not get there in seven hours unless you just plan to beat-feet one direction and savor in the other. (You can drive through Zion in the summer, as in getting through the park to the east side, but you need not worry about that; you just can't drive the valley road then.)

Zion. Awesome. You should break up that first day and stay locally, check it out. No time for Bryce and weather could be very dicey up there.

I think dams are cool. I think dams mostly should be blown up. Check out Glen Canyon as the setting shoots Hoover out of the water. I prefer Alt. 89 for Vermillion Cliffs and the drive down to the river.

Forget the four corners detour. There's no there there.

Coming back: I'd consider the 191 south through the Navajo Reservation, taking in Canyon de Chelly, the painted desert, then on flag, if conditions allow. OR, you could be really nutty and head back southwest by heading north, up through Moab and Arches, or cutting across 'round Capitol Reef and back toward Zion and on.

Why Monument Valley? Childhood diet of John Ford flicks like we gringos?

You're heading to one helluvan awesome part of this country!! Enjoy!

13. peddler

peddler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the info.

"Why monument Valley" Well, because of the views from the hotel. We are getting married in Vegas a few days before but the first and foremost reason for going to Vegas in the first place was to stay at The view!! Years ago I was surfing the net when I came across a site that was about 15 hotels with the best views in the world......The View was in there somewhere and right away I told my wife to be(didn't know that at the time) we will go there sometime. 5 or 6 years later we have booked it and we have decided to get married while we're there (Vegas)!!! I am a keen photographer!!!!

I'm going to research the routes you've mentioned,

Many thanks.

James

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are going to see a LOT of things that blow your mind and excite your megapixels.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is off your intended route, one of the truly "other" options I mentioned. It also truly is one of America's best drives ... and this from a guy who gets to drive Big Sur with some regularity.

http://www.scenicbyway12.com

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, K2V knows his byways and that's a good one up by Bryce, but too far north for your itinerary IMO. You could leave Flagstaff off and come back that way.

I think that with Ken and I helping you, you're going to need to book another trip and come back to do it all. :haha:

17. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Compared to everything southern Utah has to offer, including the aforementioned Hwy 12, I think Monument Valley can be a letdown.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is some fundamental truth to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.