1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

DOLLAR Rent a Car Review

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bigou101, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigou101

Bigou101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am told that there is a long waiting line at the Dollar counter. What is your experience with Dollar as far as the long queue at the counter ? Would the Dollar Express solve this issue. How would you rate Dollar among the Big Three(Budget-Alamo-Avis) ?
    I will be in Vegas on October 8 2014. What can I expect in terms of waiting time at Dollar ?

2. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Join their fast pass program and you skip the lines.

3. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we were there in early June we got to the Thrifty rental terminal about 11:30 PM and they had Dollar rentals and Thrifty rentals combined at the Thrifty counter and there was about 3/4 hour wait to get served. If you can join the Dollar club or whatever it is called it would probably be worth it to avoid the lines.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the above posters... I'm in the rental facility a couple times a month and I feel awful for the folks who line up at these car rental counters, Dollar included. I can't imagine getting off a 3-4+ hour plane ride and then being bussed over to stand in a line that snakes back and forth behind people who in some cases haven't even reserved a car yet! They look miserable!!! No way to start off a vacation IMHO... whichever company you choose, do some work on-line and join their club/program to avoid the line if you can.

5. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep you can't beat the Dollar Express program, never waited more than 2 minutes downstairs.

USBC Nationals
  6. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is exactly my experience, and I've rented there numerous times.

7. WiBadgerbacker

WiBadgerbacker Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always rent with Dollar using Express. As others have said, it is fast and efficient. They have your rental agreement printed out and sitting in your car.

8. Bigou101

Bigou101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suppose I will have to reconsider the reviews on YELP concerning Dollar Rent a Car as many have mentioned that even with the DOLLAR EXPRESS there is still a long line up.

9. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in agreement that there is very little wait, should you be an Express member. Do it. It's free and easy. I will give you an update in Aug. as I am planning a trip at that time.

10. Bigou101

Bigou101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks bu$hman. I will be looking forward for your update . It is just that I was being concerned of the bad reviews on YELP about Dollar.

11. bu$hman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. For fun, I decided to see what people were complaining about. I see, a lot of long lines. However, I do not see that any of those reviews were done by Express members. No, I am not a shill. I just know that a few years back, thanks to different boards on LV, I became an Express Member. Bypassed the counter; down to the garage; perhaps a five minute wait as other Express Members were ahead of me; got my contract; reviewed; on my way out the door with a car. No pain. Check some other web boards and look at their experiences. I think you will find similar to what you have found here.

12. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rent from Dollar exclusively. I am an Express member and I never had an issue, ever (knock on wood). From pick up to return, I recommend Dollar.

Each time I breeze from the rental shuttle to my vehicle, I look to see HUGE lines at Dollar (or any other rental company). It boggles my mind to question why don't these people sign up for the luxury of being in your vehicle 10 minutes after you get off the shuttle. And you don't have to deal with the "hard sell".

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, Express is the way to go.

As for the "hard sell", I stopped renting from Dollar a couple of years ago and now go through Thrifty (same company and prices) instead. I encountered a clerk who was into the "hard sell" but being a real butthead about it. He even questioned me about my insurance and made suggestions on what I should increase in my policy, etc. just to get me to buy the extra insurance from him. I've seen him at the desk so guess he is still there. Before I stopped renting from Dollar I stood in line and let others pass by me so I wouldn't get the guy. When that happened I noticed that I was out the door faster than the people who had to go through him. No wonder the lines are long at Dollar, if they have guys like him processing people it will take much longer than needed. To avoid that I just rent through Thrifty instead.

Unfortunately many of these people make more money by selling the extra insurance and other fees so they will continue to hold up the lines to try to make an extra buck.

14. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Count me as another happy Dollar Express customer. I've never had more than a few minute wait at the express booth downstairs and I've had EXTREMELY good luck switching to a more desirable car in the garage. Better with Dollar than any other agency. I also very often drop the car off at Treasure Island rather than deal with the rental facility on the way home. It's always a piece of cake and having a cab drop me off at airport curbside check-in is SO much more convenient than stopping be the rental facility before my flight home.

15. bu$hman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your idea is something I might have to check into. Is the TI Dollar desk open 24/7? Might be a very early flight out for me, this Aug.

16. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ooh, I'm glad you asked. No, all of the hotel drop-off counters have limited hours. We usually drop off the car a few days before leaving and spend the last few days on foot. I think the counters usually close around 5pm. Dollar site will tell you the hours.

17. Bigou101

Bigou101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this the express booth downstairs that Dollar is talking about ? : ''Dollar EXPRESS members have a designated line and counter area for preferential service. Present your driver's license and credit card number for verification, sign the rental agreement and get on your way.''

18. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, its the booth downstairs in the garage. You skip the counter all together. The only thing you might look into is whether you can skip the counter on your first rental after signing up for Dollar Express. I seem to recall that with some of the agencies you have to go to the regular counter on your first visit but I can't remember if Dollar is one of them.

19. Bigou101

Bigou101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Mitkraft. I will check with Dollar if can skip the counter on my first rental with Dollar Express. If not, I do not see the point of signing up for Dollar Express as it is the main reason for signing up: to avoid the long line at the counter.

20. Bigou101

Bigou101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After checking with DOLLAR, once you are enrolled with Dollar Express it does not matter if it is your first rental or not. Dollar: ''When arriving at the DOLLAR counter, present your valid driver's license and the credit card used in your reservation. These are used for verification purposes only. Your Dollar EXPRESS membership card is not required, but may be useful.''

I guess I am set to go with my first rental with Dollar Express enrollment.:rolleyes2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.