1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fall vacation planning

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terri's plan to meet me in the PNW after my August Bandon/Bend golf soiree has gone by the work wayside, so we're starting to think of options for mid Sept through early Oct. Victoria might still win out, but part of the appeal of BC was me being rather close already with vehicle.

I think the Sierras are out since we've done a few Mammoth/Yosemite/Tahoe trips the past couple years. Perhaps not the islands since we've been there quite often. Maybe fly to Denver and head into the Rockies. Hmmm, Boston? We're tired of Mexico. I'm guessing 10 days or so. We once did New Zealand with a 10-day (on the ground) window but really don't see a long plane ride for such a short trip, so no south o' France or similar until next year's big trip. Maybe the Carib. And she loved what she saw in the pics of my Alberta trip last week.

Time to get out the maps. I LOVE trip planning.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. Slotfever

Slotfever Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you choose Boston, make sure you hit the Old North End.

3. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had a good trip to the BC area recently. Highly recommend a Victoria/Vancouver/Whistler trip.

4. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lot of people go to New England in the fall ,leaves are changing colors ,plus tourist meccas like Cape Cod ,Marthas Vinyard arent quite as crowded . If I was flying all the way from CA,I would want to see more than just Boston. Hopefully you'll have a week to spend ,fall is when we usually go see the Mass. branch of the family. I'd gladly show you around this area ,play a round of golf if you grabbed a quick flight down from Boston,Take two weeks ,give you plenty to write about.

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fun - travel planning!!!

I have to go to a meeting in Shanghai in September and am working to convince my husband to come with me (and we'd both spend a few vacation days - probably ~10 days total for the trip) Still waiting to find out exactly how many days I need to be in meetings because if I have to spend the entire week, that wouldn't be fun for hubby.

Since we're planning a big trip in December, this wasn't really on the agenda, BUT, since my flights and some of the hotel would be paid for already, it seems like a good opportunity to add on to if I want to get him to Asia.....

(I LOVE New England in the autumn, but dang all those Leaf Peepers - some places get really crowded ;-)

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Come to WI Ken and play Whistling Straits, (PGA Championship 2015) Blackwolf Run (US Woman's Open in 2012). Then try Jack's The Bull. Named "best public course you can play" by Golfweek 5 years in row. All in the same county. Lets see you shoot a 78 at any of them and I'd be really impressed!:evillaugh

Stay at the Kohler resort. Golf in the fall here is truly beautiful. We'll buy dinner one night!

7. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe - I love WI in the fall! (sure beats February ;-) I had hoped to visit my sister (hell, I really just want to visit my nephew ;-) this July but that's not going to happen....

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love the idea, Joe, but that would be more of a guys' trip thing. Terri likes to play but a vacation diet of golf would not sit well.

Fate may have decided as I just got word of a likely October visit to the north shore of Oahu. Oahu isn't my first choice in islands but we could do the gig there I need to do and then flop on over to the BI or Lanai. Better check to see if the boss is interested. We were thinking something new.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hoya, shoot me a PM if you are coming this year.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A new option entered the conversation last night: Heading up to see Yogi, Boo-Boo and Ranger Smith.

11. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Not as thrilling as most places you have been, but the Outer Banks in North Carolina is very relaxing!

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's on the list some day. Kinda wanna do a sea islands trek from Jax moving northward. Thrilling is relative. We're not exactly extreme sportists or midnight loungistas.

13. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outer Banks isn't relaxing June- August......Roads are crazy busy, can take hours to cross the bridge to get there.

(I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't like the beach, but still.....My in-laws aren't on the Outer Banks but close to SC border and I'll only visit them in the winter unless I'm forced to at another time.....)

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yet isn't this whole discussion predicated around a late September/early October travel schedule? :poke:

15. pink_paradise

pink_paradise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could come to Nova Scotia for something different! It's beautiful here that time of year and there's a ton of places to see from the Cape Breton highlands to the Halifax waterfront on the harbour, the valley, etc. You could also easily branch out and get a good taste of all the Maritime provinces in that time too..

16. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    England. well that's what I'm doing. For a society wedding no less..

17. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, wasn't paying attention. In the autumn, many places will be closed. Trade-off of going to a resort area in the shoulder or off season. If there's something you have your heart set on, double check its hours.

I really just don't like the beach :ssst:

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We won't flog you or anything ... well, unless you're really into that.

What's better than a "resort" place sans the resort hysteria? I like seaside settings but can't even do a day on the beach let alone a vacay on the beach. In Hawaii, we'll likely snorkel early a.m., maybe go back for a sunset swim, but we need way more variety in between.

Things are trending toward a Western mountain or Colorado Plateau excursion. Oh, hell, we might end up back in Hawaii again. :rolleyes2: I might do that Oahu gig in October, then we (Terri, not H2, for those not following along) can meet on the BI.

19. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. Planning for me is a huge part of the fun of traveling. I bore my spouse to tears with my trip research and planning.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

Terri gets into it ... a bit. But when it's all said and done, she's glad we've tagged so many bases.

However, planning a trip does NOT involve a timetable of 15-second increments and where we'll be/what we'll be doing/what we'll be eating-seeing/when we need to be moving on to the next anal-nanoplanned activity!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.